HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 3:50 PM

I believe Dallas is signing guys to reach the cap floor.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 5:30 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Parise and Suter to the Wild. Both with 13 year, $98 mil contracts.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 5:42 PM
Community Guy

^wtf... jebus

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 6:04 PM

Wow... and the Northwest becomes less of a joke of a division.

Will they actually give Vancouver a challenge?

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 6:52 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
Wow... and the Northwest becomes less of a joke of a division.

Will they actually give Vancouver a challenge?
Probably, but this isn't the NBA where a big three can run the league.

We HAVE to lock down Weber now. If not then we can't afford to let him go like we did Suter. Suter has always seemed to be the one who didn't want to be in Nashville, Weber on the other hand has said that he wants to stay in Nashville; we should have traded Suter's rights so we could get something good in return.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 7:12 PM

The Wild did get better. No question. However, neither Parise nor Suter are superstars, even though they are getting paid like it. Olli Jokinen tallied 8 fewer points then Parise did last year. Suter has played alongside arguably the best, or second best defenseman in the game in recent memory.

Even getting just one of the two would have been more palatable. The Wild sure went all in. I hope it works out for them, but clearly they grew impatient with the build from within strategy.

If there is one saving grace from all of this, it is perhaps that the Penguins did not become more stacked then they already are, and there also is a faint chance that barring the Red Wings prospects hitting the ground running, Detroit falls back from juggernaught status. ...Now watch Detroit grab Matt Carle and Alex Semin, and Semin pots 40 next year.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 7:24 PM

these contracts are just outrageous. most of these players dont deserve half of what they are getting paid this year lol. Good for the wild though. they will be a force in the northwest

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 7:42 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
The Wild did get better. No question. However, neither Parise nor Suter are superstars, even though they are getting paid like it. Olli Jokinen tallied 8 fewer points then Parise did last year. Suter has played alongside arguably the best, or second best defenseman in the game in recent memory.

Even getting just one of the two would have been more palatable. The Wild sure went all in. I hope it works out for them, but clearly they grew impatient with the build from within strategy.

If there is one saving grace from all of this, it is perhaps that the Penguins did not become more stacked then they already are, and there also is a faint chance that barring the Red Wings prospects hitting the ground running, Detroit falls back from juggernaught status. ...Now watch Detroit grab Matt Carle and Alex Semin, and Semin pots 40 next year.
Yup. These long term contracts can come bck to haunt you big time if things don't pan out. Look no further than Vancouver or Long Island for examples.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 7:50 PM
Community Guy

Or edm... Cough horcoff cough.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 8:11 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:

My roommates and myself were discussing that. There was a poll out on what who the fans would rather have long term and Weber son by a huge margin. I'm looking forward to how Suter will play without Weber. I think if we can lock Weber down and find a decent replacement for Suter we will be okay. It will still be the same grind it out hockey, although I wish the Preds could find more scoring, but I think its been shown that even if a high scoring forward is brought in, they don't shine due to our style of play.

On the other hand, these contracts are unreal.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 8:28 PM

These are the contracts Burke morally objects to and will never give out (which actually lost us Richards and maybe a couple others too). I personally disagree with them too, they're a load of horseshit, and hope that loophole is closed with the next CBA.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
My roommates and myself were discussing that. There was a poll out on what who the fans would rather have long term and Weber son by a huge margin. I'm looking forward to how Suter will play without Weber. I think if we can lock Weber down and find a decent replacement for Suter we will be okay. It will still be the same grind it out hockey, although I wish the Preds could find more scoring, but I think its been shown that even if a high scoring forward is brought in, they don't shine due to our style of play.

Those contracts are ridiculous imo. Both great players, but simply outrageous payrolls. Good for the Wild, but simply ridiculous if things don't turn out like they hope.

I wouldn't be too worried if I was a Preds fan. Your organization is one of the top in the league, imo, and they will find a way to keep the team a contender.

I do agree though, keeping Weber is important.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 8:34 PM

Quote:
These are the contracts Burke morally objects to and will never give out (which actually lost us Richards and maybe a couple others too). I personally disagree with them too, they're a load of horseshit, and hope that loophole is closed with the next CBA.
Agreed.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:

I really like your hockey club, and I think you'll be okay without Suter. Certainly, he is not immediately replaceable, but I really like Roman Josi. A fantastic young defenseman. Additionally, the style of play that you mentioned will probably ensure that the Preds winning tradition continues.

I generally really like David Poile, but I'm not sure he should have traded the picks he did last year to add pieces - Gill, Kostitsyn, Gaustad - to take a run at the Cup last year. Hopefully it does not cause hiccups.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 11:46 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
I really like your hockey club, and I think you'll be okay without Suter. Certainly, he is not immediately replaceable, but I really like Roman Josi. A fantastic young defenseman. Additionally, the style of play that you mentioned will probably ensure that the Preds winning tradition continues.

I generally really like David Poile, but I'm not sure he should have traded the picks he did last year to add pieces - Gill, Kostitsyn, Gaustad - to take a run at the Cup last year. Hopefully it does not cause hiccups.
Thanks, its good to see fans of other franchises show some support for us. I was worried about the picks that were traded also, but we recovered some of those with trading Lindback. Having Gill sign for two more years as well as Gaustad for four helps out also. The one Predator leaving that really pissed me off was Tootoo, not the fact that he left, but the fact that he signed with Detroit. He is certainly replaceable; he couldn't keep a level head and was a dirty player...I think that's why he didn't play much in the playoffs, and when he was activated, he came in and picked up a minor which resulted in Detroit taking the lead on the power play.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2012, 1:01 AM
digital b0y

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Parise and Suter to the Wild. Both with 13 year, $98 mil contracts.

a political policy characterized by inertia and antipathy to change

Old Posted Jul 5, 2012, 6:30 AM

Quote:
Thanks, its good to see fans of other franchises show some support for us. I was worried about the picks that were traded also, but we recovered some of those with trading Lindback. Having Gill sign for two more years as well as Gaustad for four helps out also. The one Predator leaving that really pissed me off was Tootoo, not the fact that he left, but the fact that he signed with Detroit. He is certainly replaceable; he couldn't keep a level head and was a dirty player...I think that's why he didn't play much in the playoffs, and when he was activated, he came in and picked up a minor which resulted in Detroit taking the lead on the power play.
Good call on the Lindback deal. I forgot about that. The goaltending stable in Nashville is incredible. Tonnes of good to great goalies coming through, even going back to the days of Mike Dunham. Rinne is nothing short of incredible.

Gaustad has great size, but I think he got too much money. Of course, with the increase cap, and Nashville not being a ceiling club, I suppose arguing over whether an extra few dollars is overpayment, does not really matter.

As far as the Preds offense goes, good things may well be coming soon. Gabriel Bourque potted a few in the playoffs, and looked good doing it for the most part, and guys like Colin Wilson have a high ceiling. Not to mention the offensive abilities of Ryan Ellis on the backend. He's young, and he'll develop. Blueliners take a while.

The Colton Sissons and Pontus Aberg picks were nice value picks.

I have heard that Chet Pickard is not coming along as nice as his draft position would have suggested. Goalies can be so fickle though. Off the radar one day, winning the Stanley Cup the next.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2012, 5:32 AM
Go Chiefs!

AWESOME cap hit!!! 1.325 million per season for our second best 2-way player (with the potential of becoming the best since he's bigger, stronger and more skilled than Plekanec).

Quote:
The Montreal Canadiens re-signed centre Lars Eller to a two-year, $2.65 million contract on Friday.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=400077

Old Posted Jul 7, 2012, 11:29 AM

Wow that is a really good signing for him. Who's pick was he taken with anyway? (looks it up) Dammit... Oh well who was traded for that pick? (reads down) SON OF A *****!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2012, 9:53 PM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Wow that is a really good signing for him. Who's pick was he taken with anyway? (looks it up) Dammit... Oh well who was traded for that pick? (reads down) SON OF A *****!
Yea, that 2007 draft was something else...

Quote:
When it came to the draft choices, it was then Canadiens general manager Sam Pollock who perfected the art of the deal, culminating in the manipulations that led to Guy Lafleur becoming part of his team in 1973.

Even the far-sighted Pollock would have trouble keeping up with the twists and turns taken by today’s NHL general managers.

Case in point, the series of connected deals that brought Josh Gorges, Max Pacioretty, Lars Eller , Aaron Palushaj and Ian Schultz to the Canadiens’ organization.

Once upon a time ( actually February 25th 2007), Bob Gainey executed the often criticized trade with the San Jose Sharks. in which he sent defenceman Craig Rivet to the San Jose Sharks. Rivet was eligible for unrestricted free agency at the end of that season. In return the Sharks gave up defenseman Josh Gorges and their 2007 first round draft pick.

Four months later….. June 22nd, 2007 – NHL Entry Draft day in Columbus Ohio. The Sharks, looking to regain the first round pick they had traded to the Canadiens, traded goaltender Vesa Toskala and troubled leftwinger Mark Bell to Toronto for their first round pick (13th overall).

But the Sharks had their sights set on a player who was likely to go higher in the draft. Within minutes they wheeled Toronto’s 13th overall pick to the St. Louis Blues for their first round pick, ninth overall. The Blues, in return, got that 13th overall pick that originally belonged to Toronto, plus the Sharks second rounder (44th overall) and a third round draft pick in the 2008 draft.

The Sharks then exercised the St. Louis pick to take centre Logan Couture from the Ottawa 67′s.

Four picks later with the Sharks pick, the Blues chose Danish-born centre Lars Eller from Sweden’s Frolunda juniors .

Meanwhile, using the first round draft pick the Canadiens got in the Rivet deal, the Canadiens drafted Max Pacioretty (22nd).

But the story doesn’t end there. As part of their deal with the Sharks, the Blues had that second round pick (44th) and used it to select right wing Aaron Palushaj out of the University of Michigan. (Using their own pick the Canadiens selected P.K. Subban 43rd).

Fast forward to the 2008 draft. Using the other draft pick that came in that Sharks deal, the Blues took leftwinger Ian Schultz from the Calgary Hitmen.

Do the names sound familiar?

Last March 2nd, the Canadiens traded left winger Matt D’Agostini to the Blues in return for Palushaj even up. Palushaj was immediately assigned to Hamilton where he continues his hockey apprenticeship.

Then on June 17th, the Canadiens made the much discussed Jaroslav Halak for Lars Eller trade. The other component of the deal? Ian Schultz.

Through all of this wheeling and dealing, the Canadians have Gorges plus Eller and Pacioretty on their roster; Palushaj is one of the Hamilton Bulldogs top scorers and Schultz is completing his first full year in professional hockey.

Ultimately San Jose did fine. Craig Rivet served them well until he was let go to Buffalo and Logan Couture is one of the Sharks young stars. The Blues acquisitions, Jaroslav Halak and Matt D’Agostini are on their roster. In an all-too-familiar scenario, the Leafs were the big losers. The last we heard, Toskala is playing in Sweden and Bell in Switzerland.
http://thereuschblog.com/?p=6449

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada