HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jul 8, 2012, 12:38 PM

Even worse, that pick was used to trade up and draft Logan Couture..

Eller is great, but losing Couture is even more of a kick in the nads.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2012, 12:39 AM
Go Chiefs!

I'm surprised he found a job in the NHL so quickly.

Quote:
The Chicago Tribune reports that former Montreal Canadiens general manager Pierre Gauthier is joining the Chicago Blackhawks organization as director of player personnel.

Gauthier was fired by the Canadiens in March after working two years as GM. He was replaced in Montreal by Marc Bergevin, who had been Blackhawks assistant GM under Stan Bowman.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=400341

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 10:55 PM

Jets reportedly looking to ink Kane to a 6 year deal in the neighbourhood of 28 - 33 million $ as per Free Press and TSN

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 5:26 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Well, the Preds have 7 days to match Philly's deal for 14 years $100+ mil for Weber. Does Weber want to be in Nashville? Probably not seeing that he signed the offer sheet, but the Preds can't afford not to match. Preds will get 4 compensation draft picks, but we can't lost Suter and Weber for pretty much nothing. That's a hell of a setback.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 10:22 PM
Go Chiefs!

Wow, the Flyers actually did this...

Now Nashville has to match the offer (they better do, I don't want to see Weber in the East, he's the best D in the NHL) and they won't ever have to worry about signing him.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 4:58 AM

Nashville from a business perspective has to match (due to the asses in seats theory). However, from a hockey perspective, that is a dirty contract that the Preds should not touch. Take the 4 first rounders and hope that the CBA comes out in their favour.

The 2013 draft is very deep, so even if the Preds struggle this year, they are likely to be in the lottery. Plus Philly's 18-30 range pick will afford the Preds another strong asset. The 2015 draft is also likely to be silly deep, and getting an additional pick there would not hurt either. All of this, while saving cap space to be a player in free agency in the future. With pieces like Blum, Josi and Ellis the Preds are not in the worst shape to restart.

I just cannot handle these absurd term deals. The NHL needs to cap things at 5-7 year deals max. OR, make the cap hit the actual annual salary. Thus, Philly would have a cap hit of $14 million for next season, in which case, they would not offer this stupid contract.

DON'T CAVE NASHVILLE! Let Weber walk. No team with Bryzgalov is winning the cup any ways, so it is unlikely you have to watch Shea hoist it next year or perhaps anytime soon.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 9:06 AM

The thought of the 2 best defensemen in the league (Chara and Weber) in the east scares me. Please match Nashville.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 3:56 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
Nashville from a business perspective has to match (due to the asses in seats theory). However, from a hockey perspective, that is a dirty contract that the Preds should not touch. Take the 4 first rounders and hope that the CBA comes out in their favour.

The 2013 draft is very deep, so even if the Preds struggle this year, they are likely to be in the lottery. Plus Philly's 18-30 range pick will afford the Preds another strong asset. The 2015 draft is also likely to be silly deep, and getting an additional pick there would not hurt either. All of this, while saving cap space to be a player in free agency in the future. With pieces like Blum, Josi and Ellis the Preds are not in the worst shape to restart.

I just cannot handle these absurd term deals. The NHL needs to cap things at 5-7 year deals max. OR, make the cap hit the actual annual salary. Thus, Philly would have a cap hit of $14 million for next season, in which case, they would not offer this stupid contract.

DON'T CAVE NASHVILLE! Let Weber walk. No team with Bryzgalov is winning the cup any ways, so it is unlikely you have to watch Shea hoist it next year or perhaps anytime soon.
We have to sign Weber. If not that would leave us with a huge hole in our defense as well as two leaders gone. That would put us in or close to a rebuilding stage. Losing the momentum we have now would be a pretty big blow. Attendance is good, fan base is solid, we are pretty relevant, and becoming respected. A couple of 80 point seasons will reverse all of that pretty quick.

We can't afford to let Weber walk for draft picks only.

I could honestly care less if Weber hoists the cup with Philly, it is what it is...a business. I would however, be pissed if he would have signed with Detroit.

Half of me thinks we'll match, but the other half of me knows that Poile, although he is a damn good GM, is known for coming out on the bottom end of situations like this. But who knows, we could not match, lose Weber, and still be a solid playoff team.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 11:46 PM

Don't get me wrong, I get why the Preds should match, it is just a real tough position to be in. You match the contract, and it appeases the fan base, and keeps the team in the immediate term quite solid. However, owing $14 mill in real dollars every year for four 4 years to Weber, will hurt a team like Nashville that does not like to spend to the ceiling. Tough to put a strong cast around him without spending a good bit more then the organization has so far proven willing. Real dollars matter, even if the cap hit is $7.85 mil.

I hope you guys can retain him and still afford to improve the team because with Rinne, Weber and the rest of your roster you are not that far away. A little bit of internal improvement and a timely trade/free agent pickup for a gunner and you're in business.

I would just hate to see the Weber contract prevent the Preds from putting enough quality pieces around him in the near future to make a Cup push.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2012, 5:54 AM

Apparently Nashville is about $14 million below the cap floor. I don't know how else they'll reach it.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 4:23 PM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 4:32 PM

I wonder if they'll have a new CBA hashed out in the next month and a half?

They sure are dragging their feet, considering how much money they all stand to lose if there's another lockout.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 5:14 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
I wonder if they'll have a new CBA hashed out in the next month and a half?

They sure are dragging their feet, considering how much money they all stand to lose if there's another lockout.
Half of the US teams will SAVE money if there's a lockout.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 6:27 PM

I pretty much guarantee there will be a lockout, the League seems to be getting greedy now...

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 8:14 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Aaaaaand the 1994 Rangers just keep deja vu'ing in my head.

Not necessarily on performance, but on spend. I can't imagine how they're under the cap (although I did hear Dubinksy was making $4.5 - like wtf).

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 8:48 PM

Good thing we'll have CFL to tide us over in case of lockout (at least till November is over)

I'll likely be in Quebec City this winter. Would be nice to get a Nordiques present of some sort before Xmas

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Aaaaaand the 1994 Rangers just keep deja vu'ing in my head.

Not necessarily on performance, but on spend. I can't imagine how they're under the cap (although I did hear Dubinksy was making $4.5 - like wtf).
It's amazing that they only have 4 forwards with a cap hit greater than $2 million a year... (Richards, Nash, Callahan, Gaborik)

Old Posted Jul 29, 2012, 1:26 AM
Go Chiefs!

Wow, things were really interesting while I was away.

-Rick Nash traded to Rangers for a lot cheaper than I though.
-NSH matches PHI offer... so glad he's staying in the West for 14 more years.
-Semin signs a 7M deal with Carolina
-Habs sign Galy.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2012, 6:21 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Half of the US teams will SAVE money if there's a lockout.
And all the succesful team here in Canada will lose out. This is BS, they should just make a back to work order, it is a friggen sport, why can these players not see this. They get paid to have fun. Yet look at our crappy CFL, I say crappy as we always lose anyone that is good to the NFL, and our CFL players get paid nothing, they tend to have second jobs no less.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 6:06 AM
Go Chiefs!

Amazing cap hit!!! I'm going to wait until he makes some trades but I almost believe Bergevin is an awesome GM.

Quote:
MONTREAL -- The Montreal Canadiens have locked down winger Max Pacioretty with a six-year contract extension.

The 23-year-old led Montreal last season with 65 points in 79 games and was second in goal-scoring with 33 goals, two fewer than Erik Cole.

The deal is worth US$27-million, an average of $4.5 million per season.

He will earn $1.65-million in the final year of his current contract next season. The new
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=403044

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada