HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 1, 2014, 3:48 PM
ハルウララ

Another team in the GTA would do fine and you're fooling yourself if you think otherwise. Sports fans in NA are not tied down to one team like they are elsewhere and TO2 would have no difficulty having an immediate fanbase. People cheer for Maple Leafs because, amongst other reasons:
1)Their parents did
2)They don't like the Habs/Bruins
3)There's nothing else

This is obviously a generalization, but most hockey fans I run in to are hardly true hockey fans in the ultimate sense and just cheer for whomever is most convenient.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2014, 6:35 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

3 Cheers Pub team becomes 3-time defending champs

Senior & Master Men's Canadian Fastpitch Championships

Quote:
On Sunday the team beat out the Kelly's Pub Bulldogs in what ended up being the all Newfoundland and Labrador final at the tourney held in Prince Edward Island.

3 Cheers Pub defeated the Kelly's Pub Bulldogs 8-1 in the final.

3 Cheers Pub are now the three-time consecutive defending champions.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...amps-1.2752372

Old Posted Sep 1, 2014, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
This would be fine if this were a free team. But you have two parties that want a marquee team for their respective brands. Hamilton doesn't serve this function.

This isn't about owners wanting a hockey team, this is about networks wanting a product.
Fair argument but I disagree. Any new Toronto team would not be a marquee franchise. It would bring in huge expansion fees and maybe even a territorial fee to the Leafs in addition, but it would be a secondary team in every aspect. It would be the 2nd team in Toronto and wouldn't be a national draw anymore than Hamilton would or Ottawa currently is. Toronto 2 would be an afterthought in Maple Leaf territory, in Hamilton it would at least become the primary team in that city and immediate area in the long run. Even if Toronto 2 won the cup it wouldn't be the same as the Leafs. Out of 8 teams in Canada, Toronto 2 would probably drop into the #8 spot in terms of popularity after the initial novelty wears off.

The Mets don't match the Yankees, the Nets don't generate the same buzz as the Knicks, but the Oakland Athletics have developed a pretty great following by not being in the same immediate market as the Giants. I really think Hamilton-Toronto NHL would be a similar situation to that of San Francisco-Oakland MLB. They both compete for attention but have a strong following by having their own city to call home in a much bigger metro area.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor3 View Post
The Mets don't match the Yankees, the Nets don't generate the same buzz as the Knicks, but the Oakland Athletics have developed a pretty great following by not being in the same immediate market as the Giants. I really think Hamilton-Toronto NHL would be a similar situation to that of San Francisco-Oakland MLB. They both compete for attention but have a strong following by having their own city to call home in a much bigger metro area.
Putting a team in Hamilton would probably be the best of both worlds in that it would become the de facto second GTA NHL team, but it would still have its own distinct identity and fervent fanbase as opposed to a LA Clippers scenario where the team just kind of lurks in the shadows of its much higher profile rival.

The only problem with that is that putting a team in Hamilton would really throw a spanner into the works for the Buffalo Sabres, who are generally understood to draw fairly heavily from the Hamilton-Niagara region.

I wonder if the team will have to go somewhere between Toronto and Hamilton as a compromise? As weird as it would be to see the Hamilton Steelheads playing in, say, Oakville, it might be the only way to keep the Sabres afloat with another NHL team in the region.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 2:01 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I have to say that the more I think of it, the more it's insane to put a second NHL team in the immediate vicinity of Toronto as opposed to somewhere within Hamilton's orbit. As someone said, maybe in Oakville (or Burlington) to take advantage of the huge population in the western suburbs of Toronto, but Markham or Vaughan are just too close to Toronto when you consider how many much better alternatives are out there in the Golden Horseshoe.

And of course two teams in the ACC is nuts as well. And virtually impossible given how solidly booked event dates are there anyway.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
And of course two teams in the ACC is nuts as well. And virtually impossible given how solidly booked event dates are there anyway.
While it would be tougher - it's certainly not out of the question.

Staples Center in LA is the home of the Lakers, Clippers, Kings and Sparks (WNBA) and an Arena Football team before they folded... and they still host concerts, etc.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 8:46 AM

Penguins star Sidney Crosby arrested in Ottawa
QMI Agency September 03, 2014

Pittsburgh Penguins centre Sidney Crosby was arrested by Ottawa Police late Tuesday while driving a rented Porsche, sources have told QMI Agency.

Reasons of his arrest were unknown, but appear to be driving related.

Sources say Crosby was taken to the Ottawa police headquarters on Elgin street for fingerprinting and a mugshot.

It is unknown at this time why the NHL star was in Ottawa.

Ottawa Police have been unable to be reached for comment.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 2:54 PM
arf

^According to CTV news, the police are denying that report. Nice one Toronto Star.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^According to CTV news, the police are denying that report. Nice one Toronto Star.
That's a Toronto Sun article

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 3:29 PM

Some insiders are saying that David Braley is running the Argos into the rocks and that the CFL needs to step in. Sounds like the situation is becoming dire.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cf...201204352.html

If that's true, it's certainly weird. Braley has done a good job with the Lions, and you would think there is a solid payday in store if he can right the ship in Toronto and sell the team. I wonder what's going on there?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 4:03 PM

The Riders sold $13 million worth of merch last year. To put it in perspective, Edmonton sold just under $1 million.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/09/0...enue-for-teams

For additional perspective, here's an excerpt from a press release issued a few years back by a major NFL licensee:

Quote:
The NFL and its teams don’t divulge merchandise sales revenue, but league insiders said it’s a critical piece of the pie because the money is not shared with other teams as part of the league’s revenue-sharing formula. One team official said the top teams can generate $5 million to $10 million annually in merchandise sales.
Source: http://www.maingateinc.com/news/083109.php?page=news

It is astonishing how much merch the Riders manage to move. You'd certainly believe those figures when you go to Regina on a game day and see seemingly every man, woman and child wearing something green.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 4:55 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

St. John's IceCaps and Winnipeg Jets to make a major announcement in 5 minutes. This is probably just to announce the team will remain in St. John's an extra year as Thunder Bay isn't yet ready to have them.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
St. John's IceCaps and Winnipeg Jets to make a major announcement in 5 minutes. This is probably just to announce the team will remain in St. John's an extra year as Thunder Bay isn't yet ready to have them.
Wow, won't this drive fan enthusiasm to new heights. "Oh hai, my new boyfriend is working tonight so you can take me out to dinner one last time"

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 5:05 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

The IceCaps have done a great job of letting people know that if the team continues to enjoy excellent support, we're likely to get another AHL team - this time one which we own (Danny wants to buy this time around), and with the same branding.

So they're going mad for it still.

And yes, that's the announcement. They're here until 2016 now.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 5:31 PM

Quote:
The IceCaps have done a great job of letting people know that if the team continues to enjoy excellent support, we're likely to get another AHL team - this time one which we own (Danny wants to buy this time around), and with the same branding.

So they're going mad for it still.
In that case it makes good sense.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 5:43 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Fingers crossed. We won that award for best team or best fans in the league for last season, and played in the final.

And the league is trying to highlight the benefits of our disadvantages (i.e. all travel to St. John's is by flight - players are more rested and ready to play than with lengthy bus journeys, more practice time, etc.).

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 6:26 PM

Better start searching for tickets now before the season begins, because they're damn hard to find once things get going.

I'm hopeful that with the added time that maybe things will start to happen with an NHL expansion, opening up for St. John's to swoop in and and get a farm team to be based here. Otherwise it sounds like Danny is just going to run up to team owners and fan money in their faces screamin "c'monnnn b'y"

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 6:49 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The Riders sold $13 million worth of merch last year. To put it in perspective, Edmonton sold just under $1 million.
That's a lot of merchandise. The article even says the new signature jerseys that most around me are calling ugly are selling out quicker than they thought.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 7:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Fingers crossed. We won that award for best team or best fans in the league for last season, and played in the final.

And the league is trying to highlight the benefits of our disadvantages (i.e. all travel to St. John's is by flight - players are more rested and ready to play than with lengthy bus journeys, more practice time, etc.).
Lols never thought of the flying issue before. It's amazingly ironic how the caps function as a mini nhl, you have to wonder do the players love the intensity of the city. St john's is small but just feels so dense around mile one on game day.

Can't wait to get tickets to a game.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 7:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor3 View Post
Fair argument but I disagree. Any new Toronto team would not be a marquee franchise. It would bring in huge expansion fees and maybe even a territorial fee to the Leafs in addition, but it would be a secondary team in every aspect.
I completely disagree.

Alright I completely agree it will not eclipse the leafs. But I have total confidence it'll be the number 3 team in the country after the leafs and habs.

Aside from that when I said marquee team I meant team they can sell on television.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada