HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 4:52 PM
Change is good

middlejohn - we also have deer and coyotes in our river valley in Edmonton, and sometimes they like to wander into urban areas... especially in the spring/or late fall.

Crows, magpies dominate the urban areas, but the occasional raven and sparrow hawk can be seen. Robins and other song birds are common in areas not so dominated by magpies/crows

Canadian Geese can be found here, check many of the local storm water management park, or theres guaranteed to be many at Hawrelak park

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post

As for your point about rattlesnakes in Drumheller, I think you're confusing it with Dinosaur provincial park a couple hours SE of there.
They may not be common in the town, but they are definitely in the area, I heard a couple of them while hiking by the suspension bridge just south of town. The further south you go the more common they become (tons in the Medicine Hat area, only place I've ever actually seen one).

Someone mentioned humming birds, they are in the city, just have to have a humming bird feeder and they will come. They are more common outside the city though.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 5:26 PM
ARTchitecture

The area between Drumheller and the Royal Tyrell Museum has them too I think. We heard them while hiking the hoodoos last spring.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
I keep thinking of more or are reminded of what else we have here by other forumers so the additions are here in bold ^.
and black widows, big horn sheep, skinks (a lizard with a blue tail that falls off if you grab it), robins, swallows, chickadees, lynx (haven't seen one in town yet), frogs, giant sturgeon and so many other species of fish, theres more...

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 6:47 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
and black widows, big horn sheep, skinks (a lizard with a blue tail that falls off if you grab it), robins, swallows, chickadees, lynx (haven't seen one in town yet), frogs, giant sturgeon and so many other species of fish, theres more...
My family has a ranch in the badlands around East Coulee south of Drumheller. I grew up hiking the hills and valleys. I have personally never seen a rattlesnake nor has my father who grew up there. I think you guys might be confusing insects like grasshoppers and crickets with the rattling sound.

The only snakes I have seen or heard of people seeing there are garter and bull snakes.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 7:39 PM

According to this article, there are rattlers in Drum.

http://www.canada.com/story.html?id=...e-2b996c367729

Given the hot, near desert climate in the badlands, it doesn't shock me.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 7:47 PM

Quote:
My family has a ranch in the badlands around East Coulee south of Drumheller. I grew up hiking the hills and valleys. I have personally never seen a rattlesnake nor has my father who grew up there. I think you guys might be confusing insects like grasshoppers and crickets with the rattling sound.

The only snakes I have seen or heard of people seeing there are garter and bull snakes.
Was definitely a rattler, once you learn that sound you don't forget it.... I don't know why they would be in the badlands in DPP, but not in the badlands by Drumheller, it's pretty much the same climate. This is probably the very northern edge of their range anyway, so they wouldn't be very common.

Another animal that is in the area that I would love to see is a Pronghorn, there are supposed to be some in AB and SK, but I have never seen one. These definitely never come into the city though.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 7:50 PM
Majestic

Yeah, the park guides in Dinosaur make a point of warning you about these little guys.

Video Link

Flickr

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 7:57 PM

Quote:

Actually I haven't mentioned any snakes in my posts yet. But yes we've at least got garter snakes. Rattlesnakes are found 45 minutes east of here in the Christina Lake/Grand Forks area.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 12:58 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Cgy View Post
According to this article, there are rattlers in Drum.

http://www.canada.com/story.html?id=...e-2b996c367729

Given the hot, near desert climate in the badlands, it doesn't shock me.
The interview was conducted in Drumheller but if you actually read it the snakes and the program are in Dinosaur provincial park which is what I said earlier. That's further south than Drumheller by quite a distance.

Also Calgarian, Medicine Hat is a long way from Drum. Like the distance of Calgary to Edmonton.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 1:00 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Was definitely a rattler, once you learn that sound you don't forget it.... I don't know why they would be in the badlands in DPP, but not in the badlands by Drumheller, it's pretty much the same climate. This is probably the very northern edge of their range anyway, so they wouldn't be very common.

Another animal that is in the area that I would love to see is a Pronghorn, there are supposed to be some in AB and SK, but I have never seen one. These definitely never come into the city though.
I've also never seen a pronghorn but would love to. Aren't they North America's fastest animal?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 1:25 AM

Quote:
The interview was conducted in Drumheller but if you actually read it the snakes and the program are in Dinosaur provincial park which is what I said earlier. That's further south than Drumheller by quite a distance.

Also Calgarian, Medicine Hat is a long way from Drum. Like the distance of Calgary to Edmonton.
Yeah, I mean why would they be in one part of the badlands but not in another? Medicine hat is the only place that I've actually seen a rattlesnake, not trying to relate it to Drum.

Pronghorn are called the North American Antelope due to their speed.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 4:37 AM

When I lived in Edmonton, I would go for river valley walks late at night. I saw many skunks and porcupines. I haven't seen porcupines anywhere else in Alberta and only a few skunks.

I lived backing on to fish creek park I'm Calgary - lots of deer and coyotes, but I probably saw bears at least 20 times over the years.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 4:48 AM

Quote:
As an arachnophobe I can think of nothing more horrific.
Don't visit Australia - nasty spiders all over the place. I've got a big scar on my back from being bitten several times by redback spiders in 2009. My 6 year old got a redback bite last summer after leaving his shirt by the pool overnight and neglecting to shake it out before putting it on.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 9:09 AM
video et taceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Don't visit Australia - nasty spiders all over the place. I've got a big scar on my back from being bitten several times by redback spiders in 2009. My 6 year old got a redback bite last summer after leaving his shirt by the pool overnight and neglecting to shake it out before putting it on.
ok: having lived in australia, and being an outdoorsy guy — just how bad is their spider/stinging insect/snake/whatever else situation?

because the stories i hear and the animals i google after hearing them are freaking me out. i may be visiting melbourne at some point next year and this is... on my mind.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 9:41 AM
Meh

My sister moved to the suburbs east of Austin's airport. The subdivision has a man-made pond. Anyhoo, apparently there's an alligator that lives in it. I've gone fishing in that pond and even rode my bike around it late at night. It's about 5 feet long from the few photos I've seen of it. There's also coyotes outside of Austin. Supposedly there have been mountain lions spotted west of Austin, but that was never really confirmed, though, I do know they are in West Texas. There was a boy that was attacked by one in Big Bend National Park a few years ago. And there may be a few odd black bears in far East Texas in the forests.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 4:18 PM

I've heard tons of stories about Spiders in Australia, that place is a spider paradise apparently. They also have most of the worlds deadliest snakes too I believe.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
ok: having lived in australia, and being an outdoorsy guy — just how bad is their spider/stinging insect/snake/whatever else situation?

because the stories i hear and the animals i google after hearing them are freaking me out. i may be visiting melbourne at some point next year and this is... on my mind.
Most of the stories about the deadliness of Australian wildlife are greatly exaggerated. Nobody in Australia has died from a spider bite since antivenom was introduced in the 70's. It still wouldn't be pleasant to be bit by a black widow, but nothing life threatening. In a city like Melbourne, the only real danger would be something like a Tiger Snake, which can be found in parks and the suburbs around the city. Even then, Snakes average out to less than one human fatality a year.

My biggest fear would be in the waters around the Northern edge of the continent. Saltwater Crocodiles are one of the only animals that will actively hunt humans. The box Jellyfish is the most venomous animal on the planet, and most people die before they can even make it to shore after being stung. Sharks once again average out to about 1 fatality a year.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 4:29 PM
Busy Beaver

An elk wandered into downtown Ottawa last year and disrupted public transit for hours. Sadly they killed it for fear that it was getting increasingly agitated and possibly dangerous.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 4:51 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post

I spent 6 months there.

Creepy crawly things there are abundant. I remember waking up one night to find a huntsman spider crawling along the ceiling. Freaked me right out, and I am generally OK with spiders. Huge. Although non-venomous (although who the hell cares if it bites you, still gonna hurt).

That spider sticks out in my memory. Also the ants. Even the little bastards down there bite.

Basically what I learned in Australia is that EVERYTHING can bite, poison or gut you. Even those cute cuddly Koalas can shred you with their claws.

Great country though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada