HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 7, 2014, 11:54 PM

Hidden gems in your area

Here's an idea for a thread: sharing info about any place of interest in your area that's all but guaranteed to be completely unknown to people who aren't local.

I know I personally would love to be learning about the existence of those hidden little gems that are out of the beaten path in other areas of the country. Well kept secrets, if you prefer.

Since the community here is composed of people very spread out geographically, it could make for an interesting thread... at least I know I will be interested in it

Here's an article about the little village of Eaton Corner, in the Eastern Townships of Quebec. It's basically a time capsule from 150 years ago. Nearly everything currently standing in that village was built between 1840 and 1860 and is pretty much intact, or as intact as you could hope for (I mean, those buildings now have electricity and running water...)

I believe that 90%+ of the people of Sherbrooke itself have no idea it exists... and it's a 15 minute drive away... I expect nobody on this forum has ever heard of it.

It's absolutely my kind of place. Within easy commuting distance of Sherbrooke, I'm actually wondering how come I'm not living there already.

http://townshipsheritage.com/exhibit...s-eaton-corner

A perfect example IMO of the kind of thing that I would be delighted to read about would be the Warner elevator row in Southern Alberta. (Which should definitely be turned into a provincial historic site ASAP if you ask me.) I learned about its existence through pure chance, but it's exactly the kind of thing I have in mind with this thread.

Most of us are architecture fans, I am pretty sure we each know places in our areas that (nearly) no one else knows about...

Old Posted Jul 8, 2014, 12:08 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

My favourite for Newfoundland and Labrador isn't even part of our federation: the French islands of St-Pierre-et-Miquelon.

The islands are culturally distinct from other francophone North American regions and, in many ways, are the last surviving, authentic remnant of French Newfoundland - which once included half of the island's coastline.

The culture and language are closer to those of France than anywhere else in North America, including daily lifestyle - long lunches, extensive summer holidays, and so on.

Architecturally, the town of St-Pierre is a beautiful, little oddity. There are grand French buildings, yes, but most of the architecture is built using the same colourful clapboards as in Newfoundland.

The cemetery boasts huge tombs such as the famous ones of New Orleans.

It's easily one of the most urban small towns I have ever visited. High heels abound, as do gorgeous French young people. The nightclubs, though few in number, could easily go up against the best small clubs in most North American cities.

And the food... what they do with the bounty of the same ecosystem as my own people makes me ashamed of our own traditional cuisine. Even their berry wines are somehow better. And the pastries...

And it's all so close that you can make out individual houses in the city viewing it from the coast of Newfoundland.

Video Link

Otherwise, all that's left of a centuries-long French presence along the south coast of Newfoundland are a handful of place names dating back to the Exodus. And even these few places where survivors managed to hold out were eventually Anglicized.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Jul 8, 2014 at 11:37 PM.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 4:11 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Here's an idea for a thread: sharing info about any place of interest in your area that's all but guaranteed to be completely unknown to people who aren't local.
Stampede!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 4:34 PM
ARTchitecture

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 4:36 PM
Majestic

The Big Rock

Okotoks Erratic by RemotelyBoris, on Flickr

Hell, most locals don't know about it.

A chunk of quartzite carved from a mountain, transported by a glacier, and deposited in southern Alberta over 10,000 years ago. It's proportions are roughly 9m in height, 41m in length, and 18m in width, and it is believed to weigh around 16,500 tonnes. The nearby town of Okotoks is believed to be named after the rock, since it is derived from the Blackfoot word for "rock." The Blackfoot legend regarding the rock is as follows:

"One hot summer day, Napi, the supernatural trickster of the Blackfoot peoples, rested on the rock because the day was warm and he was tired. He spread his robe on the rock, telling the rock to keep the robe in return for letting Napi rest there. Suddenly, the weather changed and Napi became cold as the wind whistled and the rain fell. Napi asked the rock to return his robe, but the rock refused. Napi got mad and just took the clothing. As he strolled away, he heard a loud noise and turning, he saw the rock was rolling after him. Napi ran for his life. The deer, the bison and the pronghorn were Napi's friends, and they tried to stop the rock by running in front of it. The rock rolled over them. Napi's last chance was to call on the bats for help. Fortunately, they did better than their hoofed neighbours, and by diving at the rock and colliding with it, one of them finally hit the rock just right and it broke into two pieces."

Flickr

Last edited by Boris2k7; Jul 9, 2014 at 4:53 PM.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 4:54 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Kingsmere or Mackenzie King Estate. Barely 10-15 minutes north of downtown Ottawa in Gatineau Park. Features gardens and "ruins" from various imposing buildings in Canada and abroad. Also has a tea room when you can have British-style high tea.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Kingsmere or Mackenzie King Estate. Barely 10-15 minutes north of downtown Ottawa in Gatineau Park. Features gardens and "ruins" from various imposing buildings in Canada and abroad. Also has a tea room when you can have British-style high tea.

.............]

Afternoon tea, actually.

Kingsmere is where I first discovered that I am allergic to black fly bites!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 5:07 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Kingsmere or Mackenzie King Estate. Barely 10-15 minutes north of downtown Ottawa in Gatineau Park. Features gardens and "ruins" from various imposing buildings in Canada and abroad.
Wait - these were ruins transplanted from elsewhere, into this estate? THAT is cool. I definitely didn't know about this.

From the pics I'd just assume it's the ruins of some old church or something from the 19th century, that was originally built there.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 5:12 PM

Those gothic arches in Acajack's photos were made from stones salvaged from the Centre Block of Parliament that burnt down in 1916.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 5:23 PM
HVAC guru

Hidden gems in Edmonton-

Borden Park- it's the closest thing to an actual big city park that we have. It's tucked away up in the North Central part of the city, typically overshadowed by the parks that are connected to the river valley system.

Just down the road, Kinnaird Ravine offers a wonderful multi-use trail, you feel like you're hiking in noth Vancouver, right in the heart of the city

Alberta Avenue- A once dodgy area in the centre of the city turned artsy/ hipster has beatiful character homes, a strong independent artists' scene and lots of ecclectic shops and restaurants down the busy main street. Few out of towners will go here and many in the city still hold bad opinions of the area. Some people rejoice and others mourn when the area is called the next Whyte Ave

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 5:23 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Those gothic arches in Acajack's photos were made from stones salvaged from the Centre Block of Parliament that burnt down in 1916.
I believe that some of the ruins are also from the House of Parliament in London, etc.

You can see gargoyles and such in the woods there too.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 5:28 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
I believe that some of the ruins are also from the House of Parliament in London, etc.

You can see gargoyles and such in the woods there too.
It's not a 100% match, but it reminds me of "follies" back in the day. Pretty cool to see this in Canada - usually we have fake ruins in suburbs. At least this stuff is legitimately old (by Canadian standards).

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 5:29 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
It's not a 100% match, but it reminds me of "follies" back in the day. Pretty cool to see this in Canada - usually we have fake ruins in suburbs. At least this stuff is legitimately old (by Canadian standards).
C'est quoi "follies"?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 5:34 PM

Quote:
C'est quoi "follies"?
An element of 18th and 19th century gardens, especially British. They are fake ruins or small Greek temples and such built in to a garden. You've seen them in many an historical movie set in England, no doubt.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 5:35 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
C'est quoi "follies"?
I wonder if I pluralized it wrong.

Like I said, it's not quite a perfect match, but it's in the same spirit. I love this sort of stuff.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 5:36 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Ahhhhhhhhh

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 6:13 PM

Less than an hour's drive west of Calgary is a Cold War bunker:

Its an easy hike and pretty cool reward at the end but bring some flashlights! More info here:

http://hikingwithbarry.com/2010/04/0...r-may-14-2005/

http://backcountryblog.ca/canmores-cold-war-shelter/

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 6:35 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:

Sounds similar to Guildwood Park in Scarborough, which also features "ruins" salvaged from demolished Toronto buildings.

The Greek Theatre
by dtstuff9, on Flickr

Return to Guildwood Park
by ethervizion, on Flickr

view from the back end of Guildwood park
by ontario-travel-secrets.com, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 10:53 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

One of my favourites for St. John's is the Spirit of Newfoundland luncheon and dinner theatre.

It's relatively unknown among tourists but is incredibly popular with locals. Its performers quickly become household names in the city - and there have been many greats, such as Kelly Ann Evans.

It's held at the Masonic Temple across the hill from the Anglican Cathedral. Their most recent offering was ABBA and their shows are almost always full of laughs and tears. They're always musical performances, but usually have an extended storyline as well - like the movie Mama Mia. Last year, they did Newfoundland Dream Girls. They also had a Harry Hibbs evening recently.

And this is a sample of their much-loved Women Doin' Men series:

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 11:12 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Another favourite of St. John's is the Ship Inn. It's not a hotel anymore, it's a bar - but it's one of the most popular live music venues in the city. However, it's located on Soloman's Lane (a pedestrian-only alley) at the far east end of Water Street, forever away from the areas popular with tourists such as George Street and the McMurdo's Lane area.

It's very popular with indie bands visiting from Toronto and Montreal. One of my favourites ever there, actually, was a band from Montreal whose name I can't remember. I'll never hear that song again. Which is kind of nice, I guess. It's kind of what The Ship is. Happy memories.

It's Juno award winner Amelia Curran's stomping grounds (she's my favourite) and it's always entertaining. It's well worth a visit when staying in St. John's.

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada