HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 7:27 PM

Pic of West Ocean

Posted by bigmikelakers at flickr on October 17, 2007.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 9:09 PM

West Ocean Pics I took...

the views were from various floors, but it seemed to me that by the 11th floor up you could see pretty far... even from the 6th floor you can see some of the Queen Mary.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2007, 7:27 AM

West Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by staraman View Post
the views were from various floors, but it seemed to me that by the 11th floor up you could see pretty far... even from the 6th floor you can see some of the Queen Mary.
How is the West Ocean selling? I heard they are doing well.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 8:49 AM

I have no idea...

but I noticed there are a lot of listings on the Internet now with pictures.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2007, 9:07 PM

It's been a while since i visited this thread. I have made the decision to move out of Long Beach, and up to San Francisco. I got to tour some awesome high rise condos in the financial district. I will most likely put down an offer soon.

The buildings in SF are very classy and modern. The public transit is a dream come true. The views are outrageous, and the weather is perfect. It's a true international city that has many ethnic districts. It's way more expensive to live in then Long Beach, but there's good reason for that.

I will always have friends and family on the east side of long beach, but i don't want to wait 50 years to see what long beach becomes. I want to live in the now, and for me that is San Francisco.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 6:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yibs View Post
It's been a while since i visited this thread. I have made the decision to move out of Long Beach, and up to San Francisco. I got to tour some awesome high rise condos in the financial district. I will most likely put down an offer soon.

The buildings in SF are very classy and modern. The public transit is a dream come true. The views are outrageous, and the weather is perfect. It's a true international city that has many ethnic districts. It's way more expensive to live in then Long Beach, but there's good reason for that.

I will always have friends and family on the east side of long beach, but i don't want to wait 50 years to see what long beach becomes. I want to live in the now, and for me that is San Francisco.
San Francisco is nice. My daughter goes to the Art Academy up there and we looked at some condos back in summer time. They are very expensive. For a 500 sq. ft condo in a re-adaptive historical building opposite to the HQ of the Art Academy, with no view, no parking place and little amenities, they were asking for $1000 per sqt. We are hoping the price will correct some what in the future so my daughter can afford it.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 5:26 PM

I'm looking at some newly built high rises. they look more like west ocean, but taller and imo nicer. I will pay around 1.5-2.5 mil for the place, but it will have views of the city, bay, golden gate, just about everything. The units range from 1800-2500 square feet, which is remarkable for a high rise, but the building doesn't have that many units per floor.

And don't let them build a football stadium, that is not going to make long beach great. It will make for a a huge tax burden when the place ends up sitting empty. The nfl is not going to let long beach have a team. Why do we need a football team to be great? Bring back the damn beach and waves. that will make this town great, unlike all these high rises that nobody buys, or lofts that look out on cityplace and homeless people doing drugs, or football stadiums. people goto a beach city to enjoy the beach. and since ours is very hard to enjoy, unless you like starring at the water, but not be able to utilize it. Once you have a reason to come here, all of these projects will fall into place, but this town is mostly empty most of the year. I don't know how many times i walked around town, and was basically the only person out. I live here, and think to myelf, i would never take a vacation in long beach. All goto laguna, or San diego for a nice beach vacation.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 6:23 PM

That was a stupid post, full of unsupported opinions. Thanks for your insightful post.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMetroGuy View Post
That was a stupid post, full of unsupported opinions. Thanks for your insightful post.
LAMetroGuy, why are you such a putz sometimes? Why would you call Yibs post stupid just for stating his opinion. Here's a newsflash for ya mr braniac, unsupported opinions are just that...opinions. If they were supported they wouldn't be an opinion, they would be facts.

We're all on here giving our opinions and i for one am sad to see someone like yibs go as he spoke the truth and didn't candy coat it. It makes this message board more interesting as opposed to just listening to old timers talk about the way it used to be and giving praise to the great architecture of Aqua.

Thanks for allowing me to share my "unsupported opinions"!

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 9:33 PM

drisee, you are also pretty stupid, i'm sick of you and your dumb rants. All you do is complain about stucco and offer ZERO solutions to your complaints. I say, it is easy to complain about something but hard to find solutions. You just complain because your small brain doesn't allow you to solve anything. Who cares if it in an interesting post, complaining gets OLD..l like you!

To bring up Aqua is just plain stupid, I own other properties throughout Long Beach and I happen to like Aqua. For me, living at Aqua is fun and all my friends love visiting and hanging out at my place. I ride my bike to the gym, walk to restaurants, bars, performing arts, etc. I have a GREAT view of the queen mary, ocean, marina, and have front row seats to the Grand Prix. I love it here and it isn't my fault that you and your equally pathetic yibs but buddy can't hang or deal with the fact that some people actually are living the urban life. Anyway, I just ignore most of your rants I don't pay attention to racist pigs. You guys are afraid of "cholo looking" guys eating a Cold Stone ice cream at the pike. Give me a break!

yibs, you say "Bring back the damn beach and waves. that will make this town great, unlike all these high rises that nobody buys" really, nobody buys them.... brilliant... how exactly did you come to this conclusion!!!

yibs, you say "lofts that look out on cityplace and homeless people doing drugs" I ride my bike in and around cityplace and never see this... what exactly are you talking about? When do you see this? Again, stupid.

Yibs, you say "I live here, and think to myelf, i would never take a vacation in long beach. All goto laguna, or San diego for a nice beach vacation." Why don't you move to those cities? You would do us all a favor and please take drisee with you!

yes, unsupported opinions are just that opinions... but have some substance to back them up. you sound stupid when you say things like nobody buys condos, have some facts to support your conclusions, that goes for you drisee.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2007, 4:21 AM

Well you showed your true self as a person who can't stand people who might see things a different way then you. I'm sorry that you have bitter aspects of your life that you would attack me, but go ahead and make yourself look like a moron for all i care. You are not the guidelines for what should be posted here. I suggest you go try to tell others what to do.

And for your information i am not a guy, but that's ok. All be whatever you want me to be.

You clearly have some under lying issue within your life that you should address, because your one bitter, angry person if you ask me, not that you did. May i ask how long you've lived in downtown long beach? It's fine to keep posting ad after ad of projects that are never going to be built, or are still in the planning phase, because the market has changed, and they can't build what they might of had planned in 04.

I now want to hang around this thread just to see what comment comes out of your mouth next. Don't be so mad at people that you have no reason to be mad at. I know you get angry when people say anything bad about long beach, but you need to grow up.

Oh and did anyone see the survey that ranked long beach number one in unhappiness for women. maybe thats why i want to leave. j/k haha

Last edited by yibs; Dec 2, 2007 at 6:01 PM.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2007, 4:33 AM

After reading a little more closely, i believe that something happened recently to you mr metro. We have been around on these threads posting are opinions, and all of the sudden you lash out at me or anyone who might disagree with you. using personal insults cheapens your argument, and makes you irrelevant. I think you are better then that, but you'll have to prove it, because your insults are first off lame and uncreative, at least use some better insults if thats your thing.

I know what's like to be optimistic, but i've lived here too long to believe everything that comes out of the paper or some article. Just look at the cities record of messing up every big project in the last 30+ years. I spent years going to city council meetings only to be shut down and treated like a piece of shit. What have you done? I tried for years with surfrider and other local activists to have the beach restored. The whole downtown marina which is polluted like hell from the boats used to be sandy beach when i was a kid. My parents used to be able to swim and play in the water in the 70's, So don't bash people that you don't know or have any clue of what they tried to do for this city. I did a lot more for this city, then you'll ever know. making a thread about buildings doesn't really constitute you doing anything for this city.

Last edited by yibs; Dec 2, 2007 at 6:06 PM.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2007, 4:43 AM

Oh i know people are not buying condos, west ocean now has a bunch available, aqua has them, harbor place has tons of empty units, even the pacific where i am has a ton of units now on the market. a lot of people that can afford to are leaving. I just thought i would throw that out there.

There are also 3 sober living facilities right next to cityplace, but im sure you already knew this. My friend lives on the 4th floor of cityplace lofts. I've been over there when things get crazy outside. I bet you only ride your bike in the day. And 5 more sober living homes are being setup on elm. I would think that you already knew this being the know it all about long beach that you are.

All be around to chat if you want to insult me some more, but its now time to hit up seal beach with some friends.

Ciao

Last edited by yibs; Dec 2, 2007 at 6:01 PM.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2007, 5:12 AM
SC made me a hippie

whoever is the bad/good guy (you decide).... this is how i feel when i read this thread ( I am the face in the bottom). but I must say reading this post is free entertainment when I'm on this site.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2007, 5:26 AM
SC made me a hippie

Our economy nationally is horrible at the moment ( and it will get worse ), so I lost all hope that those empty stores on Pine Ave. will be filled anytime this upcoming year. I think Pine Ave. has a lot of potential, but it is kind of depressing walking by empty store fronts. So if Pine Ave cannot fill those stores along the ave does that mean that all that retail space under 133 Promenade and Pacifica will also be dead space, or are there any retail leases signed for those two projects? What happened to the project on third and pine? Will those abandoned stores on third and pine that were Express and Bath & Body be demolished or filled? I am guessing because of the economy they will be ghost stores for a few months or the whole upcoming year... I have hope for LB dont get me wrong ( I did move here from surf city because I liked LB )... I just want concrete info... I love LB and want to be educated on the current news, because I am out of the loop due to a hectic schedule

Old Posted Dec 1, 2007, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaCruzGuy View Post
Our economy nationally is horrible at the moment ( and it will get worse ), so I lost all hope that those empty stores on Pine Ave. will be filled anytime this upcoming year. I think Pine Ave. has a lot of potential, but it is kind of depressing walking by empty store fronts. So if Pine Ave cannot fill those stores along the ave does that mean that all that retail space under 133 Promenade and Pacifica will also be dead space, or are there any retail leases signed for those two projects? What happened to the project on third and pine? Will those abandoned stores on third and pine that were Express and Bath & Body be demolished or filled? I am guessing because of the economy they will be ghost stores for a few months or the whole upcoming year... I have hope for LB dont get me wrong ( I did move here from surf city because I liked LB )... I just want concrete info... I love LB and want to be educated on the current news, because I am out of the loop due to a hectic schedule
I was hoping to see a post from metro before i go out, but oh well.

And i have not heard about any new retail for those spots that you listed. The reason that downtown has shitty retail is that rent is really high, and there's no foot traffic for retail to survive. Belmont shore and the east side near the campus have tons of great retail, and have neighborhoods like belmont heights and all the kids at the campus to help keep it alive. Downtown was declared a low income area by the city of long beach in the 90's. Most of the people around here are of lower income, and can't afford certain retail. Thats why we don't have a trader joes downtown, but they have 2 within a mile on the eastside.

Trader joe's responded to a email i sent about opening up in downtown, and they said there waiting to see if they can survive in downtown. Retail will follow the people, but that is a big reason some give for not wanting to move here. They have a wild oats, two TJ's and a bristol farms all on the east side, and all we have downtown is an albertson's and a vons that has been around since before i was even born that they refuse to remodel. We call it ghetto vons. My mom has been calling it that since i was little. I will get back to you if i hear about any retail coming to the pine/promenade area.

Last edited by yibs; Dec 2, 2007 at 6:07 PM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2007, 7:00 PM

metrotoy. i'm not even sure where to start since you're such a douchebag.

get this straight, it's YOU that starts shit with the others on here because you don't like our opinions. to that, i say eat a dick.

you should stick to what you do best on here, which like yibs said is post press releases from the local papers that talk about all the great new projects for the DT that we'll probably never see.

and check by posts smarty pants, i've given many an opinion about what i think would help the situation as opposed to just complaining. i actually really enjoy the discussion when it comes to solutions and always have fun participating.

so unless you want to have an educated two way discussion about the issues, piss off!!

if you want to talk facts, answer this for us. how many units are still up for original sale + units that are being resold in your beautiful aqua building?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2007, 12:30 AM

I think that this discussion is starting to go to far!! this thread is supposed to be about developments in the city, not all the other shit that's beginning to pop up on here!! every one is entitled to opinions.....but we don't always need to hear how much long beach sucks and how people would never take vacations here and all the people that are doing drugs......that's not even what this thread is supposed to be discussing, what city in america doesn't have a homeless problem or drug problem!! this shit is getting out of hand!! I must say why Im not taking any sides here, I can understand Metro Guys complaint, it does seem like a lot of the posts on this thread from Yibs and drisee are mostly negative remarks about the city, there are far worse places to live then long beach, lets discuss what this forum should be about, the developments.......like I said everyone is entitled to an opinion but a forum that has the name "Skyscraper page" doesn't quite sound like the place to air these types of opinions out on a constant basis!!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2007, 3:20 AM

lblife...while i appreciate you trying to be the mediator and help solve the recent drama on this board, i actually get tired of hearing from people what this board should be about and what it shouldn't be about.

the reality is that this board will go where it wants to go as long as there is interest by other parties. that's the nature of a message board. we're all still relating the conversation to long beach, development discussion of long beach, etc. you guys/gals should be happy there is even anything to talk about at this point. the fact that the conversation gets negative is probably due to the fact that there is nothing positive to talk about. so we talk about the negative in a way to perhaps discuss solutions and create stimulating dialog. at least that's the way that i look at it.

i like the discussions...after all that's what these things are for. trying to say we should or shouldn't talk about certain things is a waste of time. if it was so ramdom we probably wouldn't get a reply. but the fact is i don't remember this board ever being this active since people started to share their opinions on real topics.

so i invite the discussion. what i don't like is metroguy getting his panties in a bunch just because somebody has an opinion that isn't all pro-long beach.

development conversation isn't always going to be pleasant. but that's what makes it interesting in my opinion. you guys should get over people being negative and realize it's just discussion. treat it for what it is...you'll be far happier.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2007, 4:36 AM

Red face My 2 cents...

Not to add any heat to the board, but I always like to look at the positive side of things. San Diego has been mentioned on this board several times, but I have heard from my friend who grew up there that yes there was a time when NO ONE would go to downtown SD. The crime was bad, real bad.

Think about that for a moment... the same downtown San Diego that is now an awesome hot spot with blocks and blocks of entertainment and attractions i.e. the Gaslamp District etc.

As far as I'm concerned and yes, this is MY opinion. In the long run LB has a lot more going for it than SD. We have less speculators inflating the housing market than SD, we have a decent local economy, and we are very close to the bigger economy of LA and greater LA as a whole.

So yes, maybe the store fronts are going to be empty for a few years until housing and commercial real estate heat up again, but eventually they will fill up and Long Beach will continue to re-develop itself... but cleaning up the beaches will play a big role in LB being thought of as a "destination".

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West