HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 6:19 PM

Hi all,

Alright so I ended up using Airbnb and got myself a really nice (according to the reviews) apartment for two nights right on English Bay, Beach Ave between Bidwell and Nicola St. The total for two nights came to $278 and I apparently have some epic views of the Pacific.

How is the surrounding area? I'm assuming it's quite nice, but I thought I'd ask.

Everything is booked, got my plane ticket and everything else booked. Now I just hope the weather cooperates

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 9:17 PM

Nice work!

It's a nice area. Your neighbourhood streets will be Denman/Davie. You'll be able to get anything you need around there. Coffee shops and restaurants abound. If you go to the corner of Denman and Davie there's very frequent bus service that takes you to downtown and the major transit lines. If you're coming in from the airport on Canada Line, you can get off at Yaletown station and either bus (15 min freq) or take a cab to your apartment.

Better bring your rose-coloured photo filters though, it could possibly be quite gloomy.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 1:50 PM

Four days to go! The forecast: Rain, except for Sunday, just cloudy.

Is it true that it's rare to flag down a taxi there? Are you really forced to call in order to get a cabbie? Here in Montreal you just flag down any taxi. I rarely have to call unless I'm in the middle of nowhere.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexiQuebecois View Post

Is it true that it's rare to flag down a taxi there? Are you really forced to call in order to get a cabbie? Here in Montreal you just flag down any taxi. I rarely have to call unless I'm in the middle of nowhere.
To get a taxi in Vancouver, it's pretty fast if you call for one but otherwise, you just never know. If you know where the hotels and major venues are, there's always taxis around. If you're anywhere else, might I suggest you download a taxi app if you are using a smartphone. They usually get you great results.

Hope you have a wonderful time!

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 5:32 PM

I've never done anything but flag down a taxi in Vancouver. Might be faster to call one at peak times, but otherwise it's much easier to hail one.

If it is peak time or raining, a good trick is to pop into a hotel and get them to grab one for you. Some hotels have taxi stands (four seasons) but the others will all get preferential queuing if it's busy.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 6:39 PM

Quote:

usually rains a lot (like Seattle) here in vancity. Hope you have a great time visitng our city, and what the city has to offer

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
usually rains a lot (like Seattle) here in vancity. Hope you have a great time visitng our city, and what the city has to offer
Thanks! Nothing an umbrella can't fix

Where can I buy beer? As in, BC microbrews. I'm a big fan of QC microbrews and I hear BC has some good ones as well.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
The classic views are from:

- Seawall along Stanley Park (transit)
- North Vancouver Seabus terminal (transit)
- Lions Gate Bridge (transit + walk)
- Queen Elizabeth Park (transit + walk)
- Spanish Banks (not sure)
- Granville Bridge (walk)
- South East False Creek (transit + walk)
- my apartment
I recommend Klazu's apartment: some of the greatest views this forum has seen. Just buy him some craft beer (not crack).

You can get some locally brewed beers at Craft Beer in the Olympic Village. While you are there, try also Tap and Barrel if you feel like wanting to continue the drinking spree. There is a huge Liquor Store at the Olympic village if you want to grab some microbrews to go, and many other government owned ones around the downtown peninsula (Davie near your apartment, Bute and Alberni, etc). You can also stroll to Yaletown to grab a beer from the Yaletown Brewery bar or restaurant: nice ambience around there.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 6:33 PM
More Towers

Quote:
Thanks! Nothing an umbrella can't fix

Where can I buy beer? As in, BC microbrews. I'm a big fan of QC microbrews and I hear BC has some good ones as well.
There are a bunch of craft breweries around Main Street as well if you want to do a little walking and some of them have food trucks at lunch/dinner as well.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 4:51 PM

Well, I'm here now

Great views. The weather has been alright. Yesterday it was pretty good so I went for ramen at Santouka on Robson. Great stuff. Since this is SSP and all, here's a pic from my window.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 5:02 PM

Excellent photo! Trump Tower looks really tall in that photo (which it begins to be).

I think the weather should be better tomorrow, but it is the rainy season. On the other news, yesterday there was the first new snow on the back mountains. Such a great sight and in Whistler they should have plenty more.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2014, 8:37 PM

Lovely city. It has a different vibe from Montreal and it's the little details that I notice the most.

The rock and roll half marathon was cool, I bumped into it while biking the seawall. I'd post more stuff but I only have a day to stuff my face as much as I can. Here's a pic I took this morning.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2014, 9:07 PM

Yeah, you should enjoy the beautiful Sunday we have today and post some photos later on.

Good to hear that you are enjoying our city. As per my experience the there is a different feeling between west coast and east coast, and I am sure you will sense it. Let us know how you liked it after your trip.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion