HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted Nov 28, 2013, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMapel View Post
Can we steal Formula 1 from Montreal please ?
Especially that Formula 1 is going with more road courses it would be pretty epic although the condofication of downtown really prevents something like that from taking place both from the owners worrying about "property values" and noise. Also the place you could put grandstands are becoming few and far between.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2013, 6:35 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

If Macau can figure it out with their Bike race I'm sure we could too, the problem here is the citizens not logistics. I'd love a TT style race to compete in and watch but it'll never happen. I'd also love a Targe Nfld style race across the region but it's just as unlikely.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2013, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
If Macau can figure it out with their Bike race I'm sure we could too, the problem here is the citizens not logistics. I'd love a TT style race to compete in and watch but it'll never happen. I'd also love a Targe Nfld style race across the region but it's just as unlikely.
I think a bike race of some kind could happen in Vancouver...more so than a Formula 1 racing...it's quieter too. LOL.

I miss having the Indy here...and the NBA when it was here (even though they were losing a lot)...it gave Vancouverites something to talk about, to be happy about (and proud when they eventually did become a solid franchise...unfortunately, the Grizz never had the opportunity to do that...the Canucks had a chance to turn things around...almost left town at one point...), and to be upset about when they lost.

You support your teams, whether they win or lose. Cities like Boston, or NY (Not comparing cities....just sports), give people tons to talk about, because there's just so much that's happening there - in NY, you could talk Yankees, Jets, Mets, Nets, Knicks, Rangers, Islanders, Devils, Giants, Liberty (WNBA), Red Bulls, and NYCFC.

I know it's unfair to compare the two cities...but I'm hoping that Vancouver will get it's fair share of sports franchises to talk about....for a city that's a few already, (Canucks, Lions, 'Caps, Giants, and Canadians), the board here is pretty dead. lol.

Although, in that list, only about two (ok...maybe 1.5...Lions are in league of their own) are in the "big" leagues - NHL, and I guess you could say, the 'Caps. Giants are junior level, and Candians are minor league level.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 11:12 PM

NBA: Could Vancouver be on a future expansion list?

http://www.thestar.com/sports/basket...sion_list.html

The article references expansion potential for two more teams in conjunction with the 2016-2017 season...

Old Posted Dec 24, 2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phesto View Post
NBA: Could Vancouver be on a future expansion list?

http://www.thestar.com/sports/basket...sion_list.html

The article references expansion potential for two more teams in conjunction with the 2016-2017 season...
There's hope! There's an online petition of you guys could help sign it and spread the word.

i can see the NBA giving Vancouver a second chance. the only question now, is WHEN.

Last edited by Vancity; Dec 27, 2013 at 9:16 PM.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 4:16 AM

Well whatever its worth, the preseason game between the Raptors and Kings this Sunday should be a sellout...

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastVanMark View Post
Well whatever its worth, the preseason game between the Raptors and Kings this Sunday should be a sellout...
there's definitely a market for pro ball here in this city.

dunno why francesco aquilini keeps on saying there's no market. lol.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 8:28 PM

Showing up for one game doesn't necessarily equate to season tickets, suite purchases and sponsorships.

There's a chance that the NBA may feel that Vancouver was 'wronged' (didn't have a shot at the #1 pick at expansion; Heisley was hasty when he moved the team to Memphis, etc.), so perhaps there's a shot at a team if a proper ownership group surfaces (does Chip Wilson like basketball?). I still have serious doubts about the long-term support.

As for MLB, where would they play? BC Place is out of the question, unless you can figure out a way to relocate the video screen. You'd need a baseball specific stadium which, like Safeco, would need a retractable roof (how many rainouts could you tolerate in April, May and June, and could you imagine a World Series game scheduled for this week??). Any suggestions as to who would bankroll such a facility?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveston View Post
Showing up for one game doesn't necessarily equate to season tickets, suite purchases and sponsorships.

There's a chance that the NBA may feel that Vancouver was 'wronged' (didn't have a shot at the #1 pick at expansion; Heisley was hasty when he moved the team to Memphis, etc.), so perhaps there's a shot at a team if a proper ownership group surfaces (does Chip Wilson like basketball?). I still have serious doubts about the long-term support.

As for MLB, where would they play? BC Place is out of the question, unless you can figure out a way to relocate the video screen. You'd need a baseball specific stadium which, like Safeco, would need a retractable roof (how many rainouts could you tolerate in April, May and June, and could you imagine a World Series game scheduled for this week??). Any suggestions as to who would bankroll such a facility?
I've always been intrigued with Steve Nash. When the Grizz were here, Nash really wanted to play for Vancouver. But Jackson didn't draft him for some reason. lol. that could have been a franchise changer for the organization.

With that being said. Nash is on his last legs as an NBA player. He's 40/41 years old, and he's been quoted to have been interested in being a part of an ownership group down the road in hopes of bringing an NBA franchise back to this city.

There's been more than one pre-season game in Vancouver. And every time, they've had solid attendance at Rogers Arena. IF the second time around they can provide a winner, this city will embrace the team. Winning, as they say, cures many ailments and issues.

As for MLB. I'm the first guy that is on board for this city to have as many sporting entertainment it can get. NBA, NHL, MLB, MLS, CFL, etc, etc. I love them all, and really want Van to be a place where it's citizens can get good sporting entertainment. But BC Place JUST got a new facelift. It's not likely that the government will invest in some more $$ in another stadium. IF MLB comes to Van, it will have to go through private ownership almost 100%. Franchise fees, and building the ball park. AND on top of that, the ball park will have to have a retractable roof (much like Safeco Field in Seattle). Because being in the Pacific Northwest, and receiving as much rain as we do, it doesn't make sense to have a ballpark without a retractable roof, which will, of course, up the cost of construction.

I'd love for MLB to come to Vancouver. Wouldn't that be the dream, and what an amazing ballpark we'd have in this beautiful city (Can you imagine the SUMMER games!). But realistically, it just won't happen. NBA will happen, before MLB. And I sense that NBA is a closer reality than MLB is, at this point in time. I'd love for both to come to Vancity in my lifetime, though. I'd die a happy man

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 10:00 PM

NBA wont happen here. Players dont want to play or live anywhere near Canada period. You'de never get a superstar that would enjoy playing in Van. It's unfortunate but just the way it is with the league.

MLB couldnt work either. Not enough demand and the team couldnt make enough money to pay the ridiculous salaries many MLB players make.

Just my opinion though you are welcome to disagree.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
NBA wont happen here. Players dont want to play or live anywhere near Canada period. You'de never get a superstar that would enjoy playing in Van. It's unfortunate but just the way it is with the league.

MLB couldnt work either. Not enough demand and the team couldnt make enough money to pay the ridiculous salaries many MLB players make.

Just my opinion though you are welcome to disagree.
I do disagree.

I think there's a lot of negative perception towards the NBA because of what's happened when the Grizz were here. People. Move on with that. lol. So the NBA made a mistake. It's still a great sports product to be had. And you have to admit. As a sports fan, I'm sick of the Canucks (when they're losing, who else do you got to cheer for - locally).

The NBA is a more global brand, and basketball a more global sport than it was when the Grizz broke into the league. You have great players coming FROM Canada (Wiggins, etc) - a new generation of local & national talent, as well, as talent from Europe (some of those players over there are pretty good). And obviously, if the NBA team here could WIN, that cures everything.

Last I checked. Toronto was also in Canada. And now that they're a winning club, and franchise, people don't necessarily mind going there. DeRozan's a pretty good ball player. And they've got some European talent there as well (and they're no slouches).

The NBA would work here. I firmly believe that. Based on the history (support wise - there's obviously a market in this town for the NBA).

I do agree, however, with your comment about MLB. Don't think there's a large enough market for that at the moment.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 9:50 AM
Big City Enthusiast

love to see Vancouver get a team. Expansion maybe, with Seattle?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod View Post
love to see Vancouver get a team. Expansion maybe, with Seattle?
I'm still hoping that Steve Nash would be a part of a bid to bring NBA back to Vancouver. Seattle will obviously get a franchise, but what better way than to bring both Seattle and Vancouver back to the Pacific Northwest presence. The NBA would be righting a lot of wrongs by doing that.

Unfortunately. There doesn't seem to be any news about the NBA and Van

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 8:52 AM
BANNED

Had there been a population explosion in Vancouver since the Grizzlies were sold there's a chance it could work but there hasn't been so it would be the same city, same arena and the same money-losing proposition. If it didn't work before what makes you guys think it would now?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 11:01 AM
See ya down under, mates

Vancouver is MUCH bigger than it was in 1995. The problem is we still don't have corporate headquarters and the exchange rate went down the toilet again. And NBA players are still ignorant front-runners who see Vancouver as high-tax Siberia with no endorsement potential.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Vancouver is MUCH bigger than it was in 1995. The problem is we still don't have corporate headquarters and the exchange rate went down the toilet again. And NBA players are still ignorant front-runners who see Vancouver as high-tax Siberia with no endorsement potential.
Yes, all that.

People seem to forget that attendance wasn't the problem here.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 3:51 PM

Yeah, population growth is actually one of the only factors which would justify a team coming back. Vancouver has actually exhibited much higher population growth over the last 20 years than some of the teams that are now having attendance issues like Milwaukee, Sacramento and Detroit (which has actually shrunk considerably). The problem is that these are all established basketball markets with considerably larger local TV audiences and basketball-focused corporate support.

For both Milwaukee and Sacramento which are roughly the same size as Metro Vancouver in terms population, the NBA is the only winter game in town and their attendance issues are largely related to aging arenas. Both teams were sold by local owners recently and there was overwhelming support to build new stadiums to keep the teams in town, and even if they were forced to move, Vancouver would not be first on the list.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 5:27 PM

I sometimes think that basketball was the wrong choice for a new professional sports team in Vancouver. Baseball seems like a better fit (although far from my favourite sport...)- a baseball team wouldn't compete directly with the Canucks as it is a summer sport (instead it would compete with the Whitecaps who play far fewer games to the point where the teams wouldn't really compete), also there are sizable Japanese and Korean populations in Vancouver and baseball is quite popular in both countries. There seems to be a lot of professional baseball players from BC, and the Lower Mainland in particular, too which could help feed into excitement for a team.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 5:42 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
I sometimes think that basketball was the wrong choice for a new professional sports team in Vancouver. Baseball seems like a better fit (although far from my favourite sport...)- a baseball team wouldn't compete directly with the Canucks as it is a summer sport (instead it would compete with the Whitecaps who play far fewer games to the point where the teams wouldn't really compete), also there are sizable Japanese and Korean populations in Vancouver and baseball is quite popular in both countries. There seems to be a lot of professional baseball players from BC, and the Lower Mainland in particular, too which could help feed into excitement for a team.
But we also have a huge number of Chinese people here who are big fans of basketball. And with Toronto having more success lately keeping good American players, maybe it could work here too.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 7:29 PM

The Aquilinis were looking at bringing an NBA team to Vancouver a couple years ago, but this last summer on TSN 1040 they were asked about it and said they weren't interested anymore as the price of an NBA team increased significantly from then till now. To me that is a big blow to the chances of the NBA coming here because having a MLSE type situation would likely be the only way it could/would happen.

However, I think that if marketed properly, especially to the Asian population (not done with the Grizzlies Franchise). A lot has changed in Canada since the Grizzlies left in 2001, Steve Nash with 2 MVPs, back to back Canadians being selected No. 1 OVERALL, yes overall, and there being numerous Canadians (28 this year) playing in the March Madness Tournament vs. a handful in 10 - 15 years ago.

The reason that the NBA has a much higher chance than the MLB is simply that the NBA has a solid venue, and the MLB would need a new stadium (or large retrofit to BC Place or large expansion to Nat Bailey).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation