HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

California Pacific Medical Center Van Ness Campus in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 1:02 AM

That is great news! Thanks Peanut Gallery. Is that the most up to date rendering? If so, it looks a lot better than the last tweak we saw -- much closer to the original design.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 2:28 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Actually, I think that might be the original design. Sure looks like it to me. I'd guess that the Examiner just picked up the older version.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
I'd guess that the Examiner just picked up the older version.
I wish the city did as well.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 4:34 AM

This passed a major hurdle tonight. If all goes well, it should break ground this summer.

Quote:
California Pacific, Mayor Ed Lee reach agreement on controversial $1.7B Cathedral Hill hospital project
San Francisco Business Times by Chris Rauber, Reporter
Date: Tuesday, March 27, 2012, 6:24pm PDT - Last Modified: Tuesday, March 27, 2012, 7:10pm PDT

Officials at California Pacific Medical Center and the city of San Francisco say they have reached a proposed development agreement that would allow the Sutter Health flagship hospital in San Francisco to build its controversial $1.7 billion hospital at the site of the old Cathedral Hill hotel.
In return, according to the agreement's executive summary, CPMC would guarantee to provide $1.1 billion in community benefits over a number of years.
The proposed agreement came after months of negotiation between California Pacific and San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee.
Source and article: http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci....html?page=all

Quote:
If all goes well, he said, the commission and the San Francisco Board of Supervisors would agree to the proposed plan by May, and CPMC would be able to proceed with the early stages of prep work by mid-summer.
However, Browner indicated it would take a minimum of 30 days after the April 5 meeting for the Planning Commission to move forward.
We’re hoping by July,” Browner said. “This project has been delayed long enough.”

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 4:45 AM
Only Mostly Dead

About freaking time!

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
About freaking time!
Right?! Too much damn red tape in this town.

Btw, there is a pretty nice animation of the development here.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 4:38 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Here's a little more detail on the deal, from SFGate:

Quote:
According to the deal with California Pacific Medical Center, the city will allow the group to build and renovate five facilities in return for the following:

-- $86 million in annual charitable care

-- $62 million for affordable housing

-- $20 million to help community health care institutions form managed-care networks

-- $20 million for Muni facilities and service

-- $13 million for pedestrian safety and streetscape improvements

-- There will also be a cap on premium increases for city employees and retirees.
The article has other details as well. BTW, the $1.1B figure mentioned above (I've also seen $2.5B; what's an extra billion among friends?) includes economic impact from construction.

As long as the city was going to put the squeeze on them, I'm glad they included funding for Muni, which I assume is for Van Ness BRT, and streetscape improvements. Hopefully the later is enough to improve more than the block in front of the hospital. Van Ness has the potential to be a really good boulevard.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 2:40 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Key details from the Chronicle article:

*555-bed hospital built on Van Ness
*9 story office building on the same block

I'm not sure this is still going to be 295 ft. tall going by this rendering from the Chron:

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 2:06 PM

As of this December 2011 fact sheet, it was supposed to be 265 feet.

http://rebuildcpmc.org/assets/VNGFac...Dec11ADAC2.pdf

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 6:51 AM
Only Mostly Dead

That's plenty recent. I hadn't noticed before, but it does look much shorter than 290'. Maybe a mod can fix the thread title.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 7:57 PM

One approval down, a couple more to go

S.F. gives OK for CPMC to start getting permits
Stephanie M. Lee
Friday, April 6, 2012

Quote:
California Pacific Medical Center's proposed massive expansion in San Francisco won approval Thursday to begin getting permits to build and renovate five medical facilities.

However, members of the Planning Commission signaled in their 5-2 vote that they expect the final plan to address issues ranging from funding to traffic before they give it their full blessing.

A pedestrian tunnel under Van Ness Avenue would connect the facility to a new, nine-story medical office building across the street. The plan exceeds existing city limits. The site of the planned hospital permits a 240-foot-tall building, for instance, but the Planning Commission agreed to consider allowing the hospital to be 265 feet tall, along with other zoning changes.

A final version of the development agreement is expected to be presented to the Planning Commission April 26.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 6:27 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Planning approved the EIR today 5-1.

And on Wednesday, SocketSite reported that CPMC has already filed for the demolition permit.

By the way, that SFGate article mentions that the hospital will be 15 stories and 875,000 square feet.

Last edited by peanut gallery; Apr 27, 2012 at 6:37 AM.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 10:28 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Confirmed the tower will be 265 ft. tall:

Quote:
The Planning Commission approved exemptions to several zoning laws so the structures can be built as planned. The site of the planned hospital permits a 240-foot-tall building, but the commission allowed the hospital to be 265 feet. At the St. Luke's campus, where the current maximum height allowed is 88 feet, the hospital can be rebuilt at 99 feet and an office building can be 100 feet.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz1tHFUmnj4

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 6:45 PM

Unfortunately, the deal has hit a snag

But, I can't imagine this will remain unresolved for too long; there's simply too much at stake:

Quote:
CPMC hospital deal hits snag; Mayor Ed Lee tries to renegotiate
John Coté, Jun 25, 2012

Mayor Ed Lee’s staff acknowledged Monday the mayor needs to renegotiate a key provision of his deal with California Pacific Medical Center to overhaul its medical facilities after it was revealed that the complex deal does not guarantee the long-term operation of a new St. Luke’s hospital in the Mission District.

A viable, rebuilt St. Luke’s operating for at least the next 20 years had been touted by Lee as a selling point in the deal. It also is a crucial component for many supervisors who are being asked to approve the $2.5 billion construction project, whose centerpiece is a new 555-bed hospital on Cathedral Hill.

When Lee rolled out the agreement in March touting its job creation, the deal included an escape clause that allowed CPMC to close St. Luke’s if the system’s operating margin fell below 1 percent for two years in a row.

The original projections showed operating margins well above that level, but new cost and revenue projections that CPMC provided within the past two weeks come “close” to the trigger point, said Ken Rich, the main negotiator with the mayor’s economic development office.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 3:47 AM

http://blog.sfgate.com/cityinsider/2...two-hospitals/

I wonder how the reduction from 555 beds to 274 beds would affect the size and height of the building.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 3:22 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF born and RAISED View Post
http://blog.sfgate.com/cityinsider/2...two-hospitals/

I wonder how the reduction from 555 beds to 274 beds would affect the size and height of the building.
It has actually been reduced from 555 to 304 beds, according to this revision in the SF Business Times.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...Nrolc&page=all

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 3:03 PM

^^^It's 274 beds initially, and they have the option to add 30 more if St. Luke's is operating at at least 75% capacity a year after it opens.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 8:27 PM

this whole thing is a tragic joke. i pray that CPMC/sutter health has actually calculated demand for hospital beds in the city and these new greatly reduced numbers meet that demand. otherwise this is just two-bit politicians playing political games with the health of everyone in the city.

yes. hospitals are big business. but all they're accomplishing by adding layers and layers of fees and constraints is INCREASING the cost of health care, when they should be doing exactly the opposite.

if CPMC had built the SOM design from 2003ish the hospital would be finished and operational and massive amounts of money would have been saved.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 1:32 AM

What a fucking joke. This is why I have no hope for development in this city.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 6:01 PM
Only Mostly Dead

This was finally and officially approved yesterday. From the SF Business Times:

Quote:
"It's official," said officials at California Pacific Medical Center. Mayor Ed Lee earlier this afternoon signed a bill that permits CPMC to proceed with its $2 billion new Cathedral Hill hospital and a related rebuild of St. Luke's Hospital.
The hospital hopes to begin demolition of the Cathedral Hill Hotel at Geary Ave. and Van Ness Blvd. by the end of the year.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive