HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 12:01 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
You do realize the north part of the city has been growing almost as fast as the south, especially in the last 15 years? Yet the road infrastructure in the north is similar to where the south would have been in the mid 1980s? Beofre Bishop between Lag and St Annes was twinned. Before Bishop and Kennaston met up. Before the Kennaston underpass was built. Long before the Waverly underpass was even a discussion. Building CPT is effectively the same as twinning Bishop between Lag and St Annes. That is how big an infrastructure defect the city as a whole is in. We are talking about projects that should have been done 30 years ago that are still "future considerations". Sure south Winnipeg needs improvements but so does every corner of Winnipeg.

There is a reason north Winnipeg is repeatedly getting funding for new schools, more so than south Winnipeg. Here is a hint, there is actual significant population growth happening in the area. The largest high schools in the province? Nope nothing in south Winnipeg, they are all in the north.

As for your incorrect claims that the affluent all move to south Winnipeg, guess you haven't heard of East St Paul or the expensive houses in River Ridge, Amber Trails and similar areas. Not surprising since you don't seem to know much about that part of the city.

Winnipeg needs to start looking at issues as a whole and not focus solely on what works for southwest Winnipeg, unless southwest Winnipeg wants to start being the "losers" as the other areas band together to ensure their voices are the ones running City Hall.
I've grew up in Riverbend, lived around the Salter and Partridge area through high school, and now living in Garden City, and I can tell you, this area of the city has not grown as fast as the south. Granted, Amber Trails, Riverbend, and River Ridge has expanded (and maxed out), and Aurora and areas north of Keewatin/Jose Rizal is now under way, it is no where near the sheer volume or pace that Linden Woods, Linden Ridge, and Whyte Ridge had, nor Waverley West and Sage Creek now.

The need for CPT going all the way from Main to Route 90 is needed now, because it's the perfect oppurtunity to do so. Traffic in the last 5 years in this area of the city along Main St. between CPT and Leila/Patridge, Leila between Main and McPhillips, McPhillips between Leila and Inkster, and Inkster between McPhillips and Route 90, has increased dramatically.

This is not even including the growth in the RM of West St. Paul, and East St. Paul, and the unrelated but still significant effect of traffic coming from North Kildonan, East Kildonan, and Transcona. These areas have grown in themselves, and having cross-traffic from the east side of the city to the west side has grown.

The south grew at a rapid rate, and with that, the transportation need was higher in that part of the city, while the north was in a plateau, with Amber Trails steadily growing, along with Riverbend, but no actual expansion until now.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 12:14 PM

Would be nice if they connected McPhillips right to Waverly. Also looks like McGillvray should line up directly with Fermor. Also long overdue for McGregor to connect to Sherbrooke. Too many unnecessary bottlenecks and dead ends in the city!

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 12:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjose32 View Post
Would be nice if they connected McPhillips right to Waverly. Also looks like McGillvray should line up directly with Fermor. Also long overdue for McGregor to connect to Sherbrooke. Too many unnecessary bottlenecks and dead ends in the city!
We can just dig a big hole and create a underground city with no traffic.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 1:03 PM
Speak the truth, then run

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjose32 View Post
The tunnel to connect McGregor to Sherbrooke is in city plans shown to the public, though not until the 2030s after the Arlington Bridge is replaced.

On a smaller scale, it looks like at some point they'll build a new bridge across the Seine south of Bishop Grandin, to connect Warde Avenue to the west with the new sections of Warde Avenue to the east.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 3:18 PM

Connecting dead end streets in the City would make sense if you know someone wanted to give us some infrastructure money. Oh wait. Perhaps we should spend that on community centres basic road maintenance.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 3:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
And not sure where you get this idea that people with money gravitate to the south of Canadian cities. The vast majority of the wealthiest neighbourhoods in Canada are in older established areas, not the southern fringes.
That's the reality of Winnipeg. Neighborhoods like Linden Woods, Whyte Ridge, Sage Creek, Richmond West, and Charleswood-Tuxedo on average, tend to have wealthier residents than Garden City, Maples, Transcona, and Riverbend. It's the same way in most Canadian cities.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
That's the reality of Winnipeg. Neighborhoods like Linden Woods, Whyte Ridge, Sage Creek, Richmond West, and Charleswood-Tuxedo on average, tend to have wealthier residents than Garden City, Maples, Transcona, and Riverbend. It's the same way in most Canadian cities.
Total speculation on my part here, but I think it's really a question of where the middle classes tend to congregate. I think most of the real wealth in Winnipeg (the millionaires and up) tend to be strung along the rivers... that's not to say that everyone living on the river is rich, but many of Winnipeg's wealthiest tend to be somewhere along the Red, Assiniboine and Seine Rivers. I guess there's a decent sized clump in Tuxedo and North River Heights/Crescentwood as well.

Based on my experience, the people living in southern suburbs, say, Linden Woods, Sage Creek, Waverley West, etc. aren't exactly CEO-level rich dudes... it's mainly people with small businesses or those drawing decent professional salaries. I don't really consider the south to be a "rich area" so much as it is an area where you simply don't see a lot of working class or flat out poor people to drive down the averages.

By contrast, other suburban areas to the east, north and even west (West End, Old St. James, Brooklands) have some pretty sizable hardscrabble areas before you get to the middle class suburban fringes.

No question though that the upwardly mobile middle classes are becoming more concentrated in the south end, though... if you look at 70s suburbs, they were spread out more evenly. These days it seems that they're all in the south except for some niche products to the north and east which seem to be most popular with new Canadians.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 3:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Total speculation on my part here, but I think it's really a question of where the middle classes tend to congregate. I think most of the real wealth in Winnipeg (the millionaires and up) tend to be strung along the rivers... that's not to say that everyone living on the river is rich, but many of Winnipeg's wealthiest tend to be somewhere along the Red, Assiniboine and Seine Rivers. I guess there's a decent sized clump in Tuxedo and North River Heights/Crescentwood as well.

Based on my experience, the people living in southern suburbs, say, Linden Woods, Sage Creek, Waverley West, etc. aren't exactly CEO-level rich dudes... it's mainly people with small businesses or those drawing decent professional salaries. I don't really consider the south to be a "rich area" so much as it is an area where you simply don't see a lot of working class or flat out poor people to drive down the averages.

By contrast, other suburban areas to the east, north and even west (West End, Old St. James, Brooklands) have some pretty sizable hardscrabble areas before you get to the middle class suburban fringes.

No question though that the upwardly mobile middle classes are becoming more concentrated in the south end, though... if you look at 70s suburbs, they were spread out more evenly. These days it seems that they're all in the south except for some niche products to the north and east which seem to be most popular with new Canadians.
I think you're missing the point. I said on average, South Winnipeg tends to be wealthier than North Winnipeg. I never said anything about people that are filthy rich living on the outer suburbs. Another poster with a contrasting view has stated that. Even in the 70s there was more wealth in the southern areas. The gap has just widened, now that the city has gained over 100,000 people in the last 15 years.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 3:55 PM

^ I agree with you, but my point is that the people in the outer fringes in the newest suburbs tend to fall into the same upwardly mobile middle class category. People buying new homes in Amber Trails to the north are not all that different from those buying new homes in Waverley West... it's the older parts between downtown and new suburbia where you really see the difference. South of downtown there very very few pockets of poverty or even working class residential relative to what you see to the north, east or even west of downtown... that's likely what is driving up the averages.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 2:44 PM

Results of the public engagement are up:
http://www.winnipeg.ca/PublicWorks/c...#tab-documents

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 5:44 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

There's another information session coming up on November 7th, at Red River Community Centre, as per this link.

They also released a video on what the current proposals are as they stand right now.

Video Link

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 1:16 PM

Looks great except for the one at grade intersection between McPhillips and Main (Ferrier I assume) and is that an at grade rail crossing just east of the intersection?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
Looks great except for the one at grade intersection between McPhillips and Main (Ferrier I assume) and is that an at grade rail crossing just east of the intersection?
Yes it's the line to Winnipeg Beach.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 5:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
That line is seldom used. So really it doesn't warrant an overpass.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 6:49 PM

That rail line will eventually be closed and traffic moved to the other cp line in the west.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
That rail line will eventually be closed and traffic moved to the other cp line in the west.
I've often heard this mentioned. What is the source of this? I have looked online and never seen any mention of re-routing CPR Winnipeg Beach Subdivision to CPR Arborg. The two lines are nowhere near one another (roughly 10km apart north of the perimeter). As I understand it, there is still significant need for the line in Selkirk in addition to the needs of Diageo in Gimli.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 6:44 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

A 10-15 car train of scrap steel is delivered to the rolling mill about once a week. I have seen several on Saturdays from St. Andrews airport.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 8:44 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I don't think it will be closed off anytime soon, since that rail line connects through Selkirk, where the steel mill is.

I mean sure, they could carry them through truck since it's much cheaper, but the line is there already.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 9:41 PM
Speak the truth, then run

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbadosSlim View Post
I have looked online and never seen any mention of re-routing CPR Winnipeg Beach Subdivision to CPR Arborg.
Plus that line to Arborg has been torn up. Its last stop is a grain elevator about three miles north of the Perimeter.

There may be rails a few miles further north, but they've been removed at road crossings.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 1:15 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan