HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 4:43 PM

No city should support a team who is losing year after year. If you make money with a losing team, you do not have the urgency to act.. aka TML. Edmonton, etc....

faut pas prendre le monde pour des caves non plus.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 4:58 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
No, I'm referring to their history in the MLS.
Then it's way too early to say how that will turn out.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I'd never thought it would be possible, but I believe that there is a 50:50 chance the 'Spos could return to Montreal. Especially if the PQ should happen to lose the next election.
You are being way too generous with that 50/50. At best within the next couple of decades i would put the chances at less then 10%. No team has the issues that the expos did back in 1994.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 5:14 PM

I think the major wildcard that has been introduced in the past several months is the prospect of Bell bringing in a team now that they have lost the NHL rights nationally. Before that the return of the Expos was a pipe dream, but I think there is now a realistic possibility of MLB returning to Montreal.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 5:21 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Winnipeg saw the return of the Jets, which nobody could have predicted ten years earlier (when the talk was about Edmonton and Calgary perhaps at risk, given the 63cent dollar).

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 7:01 PM

I think it's at least 10 years away and that's only if the league expands in which case the cost would probably be at least $1 billion - $500 - $700 million expansion fee and $500 million for a stadium.

There aren't any teams which will be relocating anytime soon. Yes, Oakland and Tampa Bay have stadium and attendance issues however, they still make money thanks to the revenue sharing enjoyed in MLB. Both teams are pretty successful on the field given their limited resources (Rays have made the playoffs 4 of the last 6 seasons and have the best manager and arguably the best pitching staff in the AL while the A's have made the playoffs 7 of the last 14 seasons and have the best GM in all of baseball) which prevents their attendance from going into the crapper like less than 10,000 per game on average.

Then you have the issue of leases. NOt sure how long Oakland's lease is, but Tampa's is extended to 2027. So if the Expos are to come back by relocation you are probably looking at more than 10 years, probably closer to 15.

I hope it happens though and am willing to be patient. This country needs more pro sports teams in the big-4 outside of hockey!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Winnipeg saw the return of the Jets, which nobody could have predicted ten years earlier (when the talk was about Edmonton and Calgary perhaps at risk, given the 63cent dollar).
A good point although Winnipeg already had an arena and billionaire owner in place long before the Atlanta Spirit group decided they no longer wanted to own the Thrashers and were going to kick them out of their building forcing the NHL's hand.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 1:35 AM

For the Expos to return, they will need the following:

* A new commissioner open to expansion or relocation
* A billionaire owner
* Plans and financing in place for a retractable roof stadium
* Tonnes and tonnes of luck

In other words, highly unlikely. But what they are doing by hosting these games is a great idea nonetheless.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 10:58 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Also, evenko, the concert and events promoter that organized the two games, are really really good at stuff like this.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada