HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Sep 7, 2011, 9:32 PM

Has anyone heard about Fahri buying anymore properties in Windsor lately? I would love to find out what his plans are for his properties in the downtown. I's sure he's just waiting first to see what happens with the aquatics centre and University expansion in the core.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2011, 9:48 PM

If you visit his actual holdings website he has some photos.

This is a photo of 2 pieces of property he owns on Riverside drive, also near the aquatics centre proposal area.

the rendering

So he owns these 2 pieces of property and the one next to the Art Gallery from the Lear land swap.

This is also a rendering from his site listed next to this property, so I assume this is his proposal. I've heard nothing about anything though.

I'm not sure about this guy yet, he owns alot of property in London and i've never read really great things about the guy and I'm not even sure what exactly he has done for downtown London as a developer.

I did recently read about expansion plans for the tunnel will start possibly fall of next year and those plans will block off Goyeau between Wyandotte and Park. They still have to purchase 5 more pieces of property the article said. That's why Burger King relocated a few years ago to the corner of University and Goyeau.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2011, 10:35 PM

Wow, thanks, I haven't seen those renderings yet. I was happy when I found out that he had bought those two properties, they were on the market for ever. I like the fact the street runs through it.

I have reservations about his developement track record as well. People in London seem to think that he tends to just hang on to properties, as opposed to developing them. I guess time will tell.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2011, 5:12 PM

Great news that Windsor is tied for 5th place in all of Canada in attracting new corporate investment, and that the Windsor-Essex Developement commission is in the top 10 in Canada.

More great news for the local economy. Hopefully this trend continues.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2011, 5:57 PM

Unemployment in Windsor is also up this month.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2011, 6:34 PM

It's only up .1%, so that's not too bad. At least it didn't go up more, like a few months ago , when it went up a full percentage point.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2011, 1:18 AM

The important thing is that it's still quite a bit lower than some other cities in the region like London and Brantford. Obviously the whole SW Ontario region is suffering economically but if we can hold our own against everyone else, then it's easier to swallow.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2011, 1:27 AM
Canadian Urbanite

I've spent time in your city a couple of times over the past four months, and just gotta say it does not deserve the flack that it gets. I was downtown on a Sunday night and there was decent activity given the day and time.

Keep up the good work Windsor. Be proud of your city.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2011, 3:23 AM

Seeing people downtown in the core at night has never really been an issue, it's getting those people and empty buildings and shops full during the day. Our downtown has catered to night life for the last 30 years or more. The city needs to diversify the core so there is a balance of people at all times of the day & week. I feel having the satellite St.Clair College campuses downtown and the impending University of Windsor satellite campus(s) are both pivotal in nurturing that critical mass of people the core is lacking outside of weekends and bar hours.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2011, 9:33 PM

It's coming around, we just have to be patient.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 4:15 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
my god. How gaudy. How awful. Almost makes the fugly developments in Laval and Longueuil look appealing, by comparison to this confusion of fugliness.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 4:41 PM

[QUOTE=CCF;5407897]I've spent time in your city a couple of times over the past four months, and just gotta say it does not deserve the flack that it gets. I was downtown on a Sunday night and there was decent activity given the day and time.

Keep up the good work Windsor. Be proud of your city.[/QUOTE

That is so nice to hear, thank you. I hope you enjoyed your stay here. Our city is finally coming out of it's stagnation, but we still have a ways to go. There is a lot more optimism out there now, and more new investment.

Your city looks like it's really taking off, which is great to hear. I know that the cities in Saskatchewan have long been stagnant, like we were here, so it's great to see them boom and grow. Hopefully we all grow and prosper for a long time.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
my god. How gaudy. How awful. Almost makes the fugly developments in Laval and Longueuil look appealing, by comparison to this confusion of fugliness.
Yeah, I'm not so thrilled with this design, it looks like a frankenstein building. Hopefully if it ever gets built, it'll get a design makeover.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 5:09 PM

Quote:
No need to worry, it probably won't get built. Things in Windsor have a way of always being scaled down from original renderings, that's IF they get built.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 5:13 PM

We'll see how Windsor's economy goes once the results from the provincial election are in. At this time our floundering economy is being propped up with all the heavy subsidization in the green energy sector, and if the PC's get in and that dries up or gets cut back we'll be going backwards again.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 10:29 PM

I don't think it'll be built just because it's land owned by Farhi. He owns a bunch land and buildings in London that just sit empty.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
I don't think it'll be built just because it's land owned by Farhi. He owns a bunch land and buildings in London that just sit empty.
Which brings up an interesting point I had tried to ask in another thread. My question was this: What has Farhi done for downtown London?

I am aware that he owns slot of property in downtown London and I've heard some mixed things about him as a developer.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 2:13 AM
The Vomit Bag.

He certainly has plastered his name everywhere downtown in the unForest city.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
He certainly has plastered his name everywhere downtown in the unForest city.
Has he even developed anything? Or has he just bought up properties?

I vageuly remember a story about him causing trouble with the city about the Bell building in downtown London, something about him wanting the city to move into the building and him possibly just letting it sit vacant if Bell were to relocate?

Help me out on this one.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 12:28 PM
The Vomit Bag.

It is largely vacant due to outsourcing of Bell jobs and consolidation in the GTA, although there is a large banner affixed with the Fahri name and slogan (a satisfied tenant is our most valued asset, or something to that effect). Given London's poor economic climate and overcapacity, the chances of new office constrution are nil.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario