HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 2:05 PM

Any news on the Hercules Plaza? I've herd it's been mostly vacant ever since Hercules Inc. was bought by Ashland Inc.

https://www.delawareonline.com/story...loan/87675048/

What do you think is going to happen here?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 11:28 PM

Wilmington: DuPont Building

Neat concept for connecting the theatre and restaurant

http://www.delawarebusinesstimes.com...-construction/

Quote:
A mood of renewal

Functionally obsolete city buildings are being razed or repurposed, like 1300 Market, the Class B bank building that Cannon Patel transformed into a Courtyard Marriott.

“We’re so close to critical mass in the City of Wilmington, if not already there, it is a different place today than it was three years ago,” said Rick Kingery, vice president of Colliers International.
And, Buccini/Pollin’s historically sensitive do-over of the iconic 105-year-old Hotel du Pont is bringing a new excitement downtown. One example: Insiders are buzzing about plans to restore the old-time connection between the Dupont Theatre and the Brandywine Room so theater-goers can enter the restaurant through a long-closed elegant back entrance.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domodeez View Post
Neat concept for connecting the theatre and restaurant

http://www.delawarebusinesstimes.com...-construction/
People are going to think that I'm a completely different person when I say what I'm about to say, but all of this mentioned by domodeez sounds great! While I have complained about the development in Wilmington, one thing that I have never really mentioned (or people don't just read my full comment) is that I really like what they have done with Market Street and the Riverfront! I like seeing all the things that they have added to Market Street to try to make Wilmington have more of an alive downtown and I like all the attractions and housing on the riverfront! I think I just feel like Wilmington is taking a huge chance with all of this random housing, and so far, it doesn't seem to be attracting as much people that we would hope for. I do want to ask, how long would it take to see a big impact in Wilmington population and more offices and businesses in downtown if this works?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 2:48 AM

Didn't we agree that there was going to be a Wilmington DE thread of it's own?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 5:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Didn't we agree that there was going to be a Wilmington DE thread of it's own?
no

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 12:57 PM

Exton pharmaceutical company merging with BioCryst

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...-biocryst.html

Quote:
The company will be based in Exton with the consolidated research center remaining open in Birmingham, Ala.
BioCryst is currently based in Raleigh

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 3:39 AM

Whomp whomp

McKesson closing Delran drug distribution center, 102 jobs eliminated

Read more here:
http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...-20180124.html

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 4:44 PM
Me?!?

In Philly's highly desired suburbs, starter homes are scarce
Updated: JANUARY 25, 2018 — 10:41 AM EST
http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...-20180126.html

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 4:59 PM

Riverfront Wilmington - Capano Apt. project, should be completed late spring:

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 10:45 PM

^ When is the second, taller building in this project going to be built?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 5:39 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesrmj View Post
^ When is the second, taller building in this project going to be built?
I'm sure permit pulling will tell us when Phase II is immanent.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 9:14 PM

West End Flats - Media, 1/16

From: http://westendflatspa.com/2018/01/expected-completion/

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post

This is a really great project for Media. I would say Media is the most vibrant or no less than 2nd most vibrant suburban town in the region. So its awesome to see density added to only increase that vibrancy, rather than the continued sprawl that has plagued the state. No doubt it is still going on, but seeing the demand and density added in the cores is a very very positive trend, hopefully it will only increase.

It is great to see our suburban towns continuing to become dense. With projects proposed all over the region. I personally really like the Bala proposal, as that core is severely less vibrant than what it should be, given the area.

Also to note, I am really found of the new construction across the street from the West End Flats! Great quality architecture, classic design with slight modern update. Awesome combo. (Only if Toll Brothers could learn a thing or two from this developer).

Here is the streetview below:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9177...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 10:50 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
Media is a great and walk-able town. Homes are literally butted up to main street where the restuarants/bars and stores are located. Probably one of the few towns outside of CC core that you don't really need a car to get your day to day living done.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 6:05 AM

Media is one of my favorite areas in the Philly region (solid SEPTA regional rail connectivity too). For anyone who hasn't visited but is looking to check it out, you can spend any Wednesday night in the summer walking along car-free State Street and eating outside for Dining Under The Stars. Plenty of great restaurants, especially for a place its size. My favorite spot for dinner and beers is Sterling Pig, right across the street from the project above, and right at the end of State Street, shown below. Cool town.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domodeez View Post
Media is one of my favorite areas in the Philly region (solid SEPTA regional rail connectivity too). For anyone who hasn't visited but is looking to check it out, you can spend any Wednesday night in the summer walking along car-free State Street and eating outside for Dining Under The Stars. Plenty of great restaurants, especially for a place its size. My favorite spot for dinner and beers is Sterling Pig, right across the street from the project above, and right at the end of State Street, shown below. Cool town.

Media should really be cultivated as a little satellite city. The term "Media" is often used to include not only the borough of Media, but other municipalities that share the same zipcode. The borough of Media covers only 0.8 square miles (2.1 square kilometres) and less than 6,000 residents, but the Media zipcode 19063 covers 23.08 sq mi (59.8 km2) and has a population of 35,704. It's part of a larger urban development thesis, but I think cool satellite cities (and dense development around transit lines in and around core cities) is the wave of the future as far as maintaining affordability as core alpha and beta cities get more and more desirable and more and more expensive. Wayne is similar with a cool, walkable downtown. And, to a lesser degree, Ardmore. They all could handle densification without losing character and charm if done intelligently.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Media should really be cultivated as a little satellite city. The term "Media" is often used to include not only the borough of Media, but other municipalities that share the same zipcode. The borough of Media covers only 0.8 square miles (2.1 square kilometres) and less than 6,000 residents, but the Media zipcode 19063 covers 23.08 sq mi (59.8 km2) and has a population of 35,704. It's part of a larger urban development thesis, but I think cool satellite cities (and dense development around transit lines in and around core cities) is the wave of the future as far as maintaining affordability as core alpha and beta cities get more and more desirable and more and more expensive. Wayne is similar with a cool, walkable downtown. And, to a lesser degree, Ardmore. They all could handle densification without losing character and charm if done intelligently.
Pennsylvania is lucky in that we have a plethora of small towns that were established before cars became prevalent, I can name multiple towns in each county within 20-30 miles of the city that are already walkable and have a rail station into center city...not every city/state is lucky enough to be in our position...and if classy and appropriate projects continue to pick up steam like the ones above, I truly think our region will become the envy of a lot of American metros.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 4:15 PM

Wilmington: Stitch House Brewery

Sign was installed earlier this week - this is getting very close! Last image from Stitch House's instagram. The brewmaster came down from Yards, so the beers should be terrific.

Last edited by domodeez; Feb 2, 2018 at 12:32 AM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milksteak View Post
Pennsylvania is lucky in that we have a plethora of small towns that were established before cars became prevalent, I can name multiple towns in each county within 20-30 miles of the city that are already walkable and have a rail station into center city...not every city/state is lucky enough to be in our position...and if classy and appropriate projects continue to pick up steam like the ones above, I truly think our region will become the envy of a lot of American metros.

I agree with you 100%, I really wish we could get some statewide policy changes to incentivize more of this type of development and investment in Pennsylvania's small towns. I want to say Pennsylvania has the highest concentration of small walkable towns and cities in the USA to be honest. Maybe 1 other state can beat us on that.

The New Urbanist approach in my opinion are nothing more than 'fake towns' and just feel silly. This is what a great deal of cities metros have developed within their suburbs over the past 15 years. And as much as I can enjoy the new King of Prussia Town Center and say this is nice. It just is not authentic, even though its approach is FAR better than traditional strip malls.

And yes, Pennsylvania is so provincial, that annexation is challenging and rarely done, but Media would benefit on several fronts if it were to annex with its surrounding municipalities. I think many municipalities across the state would benefit to be honest. As it would make services more efficient, cut costs, reduce risk and increase the measure of shared benefits in tax structure. Rendell wanted to do this while he was governor, but it never picked up steam. Most likely because these municipalities have their little fiefdoms and the leaders within them have no desire to hand over or consolidate power, and god forbid, loose their 'lifetime' post.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post

Agreed with 1 caveat. I'd actually argue that culturally and topographically (when you look at a map), Media actually "feels" like it's a part of the Wallingford Swarthmore School District. South Media is actually in the W-S School District, as is the neighborhood of Bowling Green, which envelopes the east side of Media Borough. On the contrary, the Rose Tree Media School District for the most part sprawls mostly West of Media Borough all the way out to Glen Mills, and includes all of Middletown and Edgemont Townships, which are super suburban. Edgemont gets more of a pass than Middletown because it feels more authentically rural (i.e. not really suburban), but Middletown is overwhelmingly bland and punches under its weight. Wallingford on the other hand has more tight knit communities with sidewalks and even it's own town center. I think the zone from Swarthmore, including the SW part of Springfield Township where the Springfield Mall is all the way west to Media could be densified easily without a lot of push back.

Middletown is another story. Don't tell me about the Granite Run Mall re-development. That thing will be like Disneyland when its done. The town fought the Franklin Mint redevelopment to its death.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations