HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Dec 7, 2013, 4:53 PM
Awesome!

Awesome thanks, I will look at those. Possibly had an idea for next Friday which was a bit of a reason for the previous post. A friend also talked about a fish restaurant (including mac and cheese with not sure if it was salmon or lobster), but I think it is too far. She might have referred to the Westboro Fish House which is closer to Kirkwood. But retail would be definitely welcomed around Tunney's if this happens. Not really fair to have only a few insignificant shops in that area.
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Last edited by Cre47; Dec 7, 2013 at 5:54 PM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2013, 6:43 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre47 View Post
A friend also talked about a fish restaurant (including mac and cheese with not sure if it was salmon or lobster), but I think it is too far. She might have referred to the Westboro Fish House which is closer to Kirkwood.
It might have been Supply & Demand, which just did very well in a national restaurant poll.
http://www.supplyanddemandfoods.ca/
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/life/We...008/story.html

Old Posted Dec 9, 2013, 6:37 AM

Isn't there another bookstore in West Welli? I don't know if it's still there, but there was one underground between Sushi Umi and Hillary's on Wellington. It's not as prominent as Collected Works was, but it might be worthwhile. And if it's still there, they could always pop up to street level and fill the gap left.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2013, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
As for faster food places, there's a subway in Hintonburg, but that's a bit of a walk from the heart of Tunney's Pasture.
There's another Subway inside Holland Cross.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2013, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defishel View Post
Isn't there another bookstore in West Welli? I don't know if it's still there, but there was one underground between Sushi Umi and Hillary's on Wellington. It's not as prominent as Collected Works was, but it might be worthwhile. And if it's still there, they could always pop up to street level and fill the gap left.
Sounds like you're talking about Legend Records at 1315 Wellington.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2013, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoTheCore View Post
There is a food court in Holland Cross--with a subway, Chinese food outlet, Thai food outlet, an independent coffee shop: two independent soup, salad, sandwich outlets-not off the foodcourt, but at either end of the building.
--and my dentist,

Old Posted Dec 9, 2013, 3:02 PM
Mooderator

I ran the Santa Shuffle at Tunney's this past weekend, and man.. so much open space to fill. I've been here before for work, but in the winter it seems even MORE wide open... like a.. um.. pasture.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2013, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Sounds like you're talking about Legend Records at 1315 Wellington.
I google mapped the site, and I guess it became a Record Store. Too bad, there for sure are no bookstores in the area now.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 12:22 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Quote:
I google mapped the site, and I guess it became a Record Store. Too bad, there for sure are no bookstores in the area now.
Yeah, no bookstores. Also, the "gap" left by Collected Works was promptly filled in by Flying Banzini and that magazine and hobby shop.

Tunney's Pasture would be great for a bookstore, and an electronics store; two things that are needed and missed in the neighbourhood.

Quote:

Excuse me, what? :O

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadingEdgeBoomer View Post
There is a food court in Holland Cross--with a subway, Chinese food outlet, Thai food outlet, an independent coffee shop: two independent soup, salad, sandwich outlets-not off the foodcourt, but at either end of the building.
--and my dentist,
Jeez, I'll have to check that out sometime.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 12:51 AM
Awesome!

I haven't been inside Holland Cross except once but not in the Food court.

Yeah I've notice that Flying Banzini took the spot from Collected Works. Must have been very recent as Collected Works was still there in mid-2012 based on Street View. Did took a tour on Street View to see other ones that the ones I've known or heard before.
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Last edited by Cre47; Dec 10, 2013 at 1:03 AM.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 1:02 AM
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
It might have been Supply & Demand, which just did very well in a national restaurant poll.
http://www.supplyanddemandfoods.ca/
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/life/We...008/story.html
Too bad it's not opened during the lunch time. Though I don't think it is that one she was referring, it doesn't have the mac/cheese lobster

Siam's appear to be very small though

I've noticed the Westboro Fish House's site is not working (hopefully not a sign that it is closed), neither their Twitter account

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 1:08 AM
Melissa: fabulous.

Quote:
if anyone can bring up other restaurants in the area that would be great
Canvas Resto-Bar-Etc.
Allium
Tennessee Willems
Back Lane Cafe
Petit Bill's Bistro
Wellington Gastropub
Absinthe
Juniper Kitchen & Wine Bar
Supply & Demand (4th best new restaurant in Canada according to enRoute)

All on Wellington West (or just off it) near Tunney's. Not all of these would be ideal for an after work outing, but I guess that depends on who's going, what they're craving, and how big the group is.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 1:39 AM

Quote:
A Timmie's in the area would be great (and needed), as would some other relatively cheap late night eats. For example, a Harvey's, or even a McDick's. These kinds of food can be hard to find in the neighbourhood.
Wellington West: the fast-food-chain dead zone. There used to be a McDonald's at Holland Cross, where Marcello's is now, and it didn't last (how often do you see a McDonald's location fail?).

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 3:13 AM

Quote:
I've noticed the Westboro Fish House's site is not working (hopefully not a sign that it is closed), neither their Twitter account
I was just there last week - it was pretty empty... Personally, it's not at the top of my list for seafood places in the city...

I'll also mention Juniper's (a bit pricey, and located in an old car dealership - but, very good from what I recall) and Swiss Pastry (takeaway).

Closer to Island Park Drive there's Café Ventuno (though, they downsized a little while ago - is it still a sit-down eatery?). And close-by there's also Caffe Mio. I'd mention John's Diner, but they're pretty much only open for breakfast and lunch.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Tunney's Pasture would be great for a bookstore, and an electronics store; two things that are needed and missed in the neighbourhood.
I agree! I was also thinking just off Parkdale, there used to be a movie theatre (it's now the Cornerstone House of Refuge Apostolic Church). It might be nice to have theatre at Tunney's instead, even if it's a small one (à la Rainbow Theatres). But, since you mentioned a bookstore, I'm even thinking something like the Scotiabank place in Toronto (Chapters on bottom, Theatre on top).

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 1:28 AM
Awesome!

Tennesy's sounds like similar to Anthony's with the wood-oven pizza, though looks smaller to Anthony's and it's also past the old KFC and GT (a bit far for a lunch - which is the same problem with Juniper's unless it is after work). I know the pizza at Anthony's cooked with the wood-oven was awesome even though it was a very sizable portion.

Allium could be another good spot, same as Absinthe although there are fish products and likely it won't be a restaurant selling mostly fish products. Besides Supply & demand is only open after work hours anyways. Might consider Petit Bill's Bistro as well even though looks more pricey than most others

But thanks to everyone for all those additional sites as well.

Last edited by Cre47; Dec 11, 2013 at 1:41 AM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 9:35 AM
Awesome!

Heard at work that Marcello's at Holland Cross is closed. There are a couple of pages that indicates that though Marcello's still list that location on their site.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 6:06 PM

It will leave room for a future Shawarma and Donair eatery then...

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 6:08 PM

I still like the Foolish Chicken....is it still going? Awesome southern style BBQ, very good sweet potato fries, and Beau's on tap...mmmm

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 9:15 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis137 View Post
I still like the Foolish Chicken....is it still going? Awesome southern style BBQ, very good sweet potato fries, and Beau's on tap...mmmm
Last I checked, it's still there. I should really go there sometime.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa