HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Sep 11, 2010, 9:35 PM
dvdktn

The construction worker I talked to said this should be open to the public in a couple weeks.

Last edited by DavidKuitunen; Sep 11, 2010 at 11:08 PM.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 5:55 AM
dvdktn

no words can describe how awesome this is.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 5:29 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidKuitunen View Post
Mentality is the biggest issue Calgary needs to overcome, but how do you get people to get on a bike? Building bike infrastructure seems to just piss off most Calgarians.
Not as much as building fancy pedestrian bridges and even that still happens.

Looking back at Amsterdam and other cycling cities I have to question what came first, the demand for the facilities or the excellent facilities. I don't think in the beginning people were demanding large amounts of cycling facilities. However, if they were it was probably because it was pre-automobile times and it made sense. Nonetheless, the transportation planner set out with the mindset to build for the bicycle. I believe this is what Calgary needs.

Once we start building for the bicycle we'll start developing the quality of the cycling system to a point where it can start to develop a culture of cycling amongst the population. That is, if people see the excellent facilities and that cycling can be easy and convenient they'll start to consider cycling as a mode of transport for certain tasks/activities. It may take some time but as long as we concentrate on it I believe it can happen.

In a nut shell, I think it is most important for the mentality you mentioned to be held by our transportation planners and applied everywhere. Even though the inner-city has more potential, new suburbs are an opportunity were growth can occur and should not be ignored. Cycling infrastructure should be there from the start.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 5:42 PM

Quote:
no words can describe how awesome this is.
Too mad most folks don't realize that green man suit started with "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" .

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
Too mad most folks don't realize that green man suit started with "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" .
I could be wrong, but the whole spandex bodysuit thing started as a sexual fetish long before that TV show. Why did I even bother responding to that?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooky View Post
I could be wrong, but the whole spandex bodysuit thing started as a sexual fetish long before that TV show. Why did I even bother responding to that?
I'll take your word on that one.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 10:25 PM
dvdktn

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 10:30 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooky View Post
Well, looks like I picked the right day to view this thread for the first time.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 12:23 AM
The City That Moves

Quote:
Wow, am way too risk adverse myself to bike like that. There's a ton more connectivity cyclists could have if a single lane one way was converted to a dual lane cycle. Could start by looking at what parts (and times for that matter) of the downtown transportation system have the most spare capacity. The cycle lane beside Riverfront Avenue is one example of a cycle lane that does not impact traffic flow.

Also, I had never heard of studded tires before before seeing these videos about tips for cycling in Winter in Alberta and thought I'd share (parts 1, 2 and 3).

Winter Cycling in Alberta

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Last edited by Radley77; Sep 28, 2010 at 12:39 AM.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 5:26 PM
Here and There

Toronto's new mayor

I figured this would be a perfect contrast to the videos posted above..... Rob Ford is one twisted, arrogant guy.

Quote:
Video Link

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 11:28 PM
dvdktn

SLOW DOWN! <--
The Calgary Fire Department would like to warn the public to exercise caution on the river pathway as an ice jam near the Calgary Zoo has caused water to encroach on a section from the Baines Bridge running east to below the Zoo LRT parking lot. Earlier tonight four cyclists traveling along this section of the pathway were surprised to encounter sudden waist-high ice water before being forced to abandon their bicycles and seeking aid for cold water exposure. Due to the ice jam water levels on the section of pathway are rising and may be a foot higher by tomorrow. The combination of ice, current, and cold water is potentially deadly. Pedestrians and cyclists on the pathway should heed signs and barriers and not attempt to travel on this section of pathway until further notice.

*taken from city of calgary website

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 12:39 AM
dvdktn

Calgary google maps now has cycling routes as an alternative to driving or public transit. Link.
I find this helps a tonne when it comes to planning routes. I've been finding bikeways that i never knew existed.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 12:57 AM

Quote:
There should be dedicated bike lanes on all the roads downtown. But that seems like fine riding to me. Aren't bikes supposed to go between cars? Here in San Francisco even motorcycles are supposed to go between cars on the highways below certain speeds.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 2:24 AM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood PuP View Post
There should be dedicated bike lanes on all the roads downtown. But that seems like fine riding to me. Aren't bikes supposed to go between cars? Here in San Francisco even motorcycles are supposed to go between cars on the highways below certain speeds.
Really? I thought outlawing that was a North American thing.

It can be quite helpful in clearing up road space but I simply don't trust the drivers back home to pay enough attention to ensure cyclists' safety.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riise View Post
Really? I thought outlawing that was a North American thing.

It can be quite helpful in clearing up road space but I simply don't trust the drivers back home to pay enough attention to ensure cyclists' safety.
I will have to ask around about it. I am fairly new to the city and was sitting in traffic on the freeway with some co-workers and watching the motorcycles rip between the cars. The explanation I got was they are supposed to do it when traffic is going below 20 miles an hour and they are not allowed to go over 20 miles an hour while doing it. But the motorcycles do not pay attention and do it faster.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 6:46 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood PuP View Post
I will have to ask around about it. I am fairly new to the city and was sitting in traffic on the freeway with some co-workers and watching the motorcycles rip between the cars. The explanation I got was they are supposed to do it when traffic is going below 20 miles an hour and they are not allowed to go over 20 miles an hour while doing it. But the motorcycles do not pay attention and do it faster.
you are making this all up right? If everyone could come to an understanding like that, it would be cool.

When cyclist zips by my car window, it scares the F out of me

Bike lanes all the way. I ride my bike all summer long so I just think weaving in and out of traffic, scaring people is not the best way to attempt to further introduce or promote urban cycling.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 7:46 PM
Laura Palmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
I figured this would be a perfect contrast to the videos posted above..... Rob Ford is one twisted, arrogant guy.
Rob Ford is a douche bag. Bike lanes increase saftey and even though we live in Canada with long winters bike lanes are cheap to implement. All you need is paint, signs and a plan. It bugs me when I hear politicians talking like this.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 9:13 PM

Lots of people stop riding their bike when winter hits not because it's cold (easy enough to dress for) but because there is nowhere to ride that isn't slippery as hell besides possibly in the ruts form car tires which puts you in the way of traffic and makes for a scary commute.

If you have properly cleared bike lanes, no problem. When I ride to work the river pathways are great and fairly well maintained, the roads to get there and the 4 blocks through downtown to get south of the river are brutal and treacherous. If they had cleared bike lanes I think a lot more people would keep riding.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Wow. People actually voted for this guy?

Also: I'm sure there's a fat joke to be made here.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 10:05 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
Lots of people stop riding their bike when winter hits not because it's cold (easy enough to dress for) but because there is nowhere to ride that isn't slippery as hell besides possibly in the ruts form car tires which puts you in the way of traffic and makes for a scary commute.

If you have properly cleared bike lanes, no problem. When I ride to work the river pathways are great and fairly well maintained, the roads to get there and the 4 blocks through downtown to get south of the river are brutal and treacherous. If they had cleared bike lanes I think a lot more people would keep riding.
That is the reason I'm not riding right now. One slip on a packed snow patch and my kids could be without a father.

I'm hoping for a nice warm stretch that will melt those patches off of the road.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates