HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 6:16 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
Some people. She should have to retake her drivers test and learn that bicycles are vehicles and are supposed to ride in the street. Would she say the same thing to a motorcycle? I would have flipped her the bird.
Yeah, unfortunately people forget what they learned in driver's ed, and fall back on intuition. Most people don't expect vehicles moving at 20km/h mixed with vehicles doing 2-3-4-5 times that. A motorcycle can easily keep up with traffic, but there's a reason little Johnny can't take his Power Wheels out on the Deerfoot.

Which is why bike lanes really need to be separate, unless we're talking very slow and/or low volume roads. We figured this out decades ago with pedestrians, hence we have sidewalks. Why we don't automatically build similar infrastructure for bicycles is beyond me.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 7:17 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Yeah, unfortunately people forget what they learned in driver's ed, and fall back on intuition. Most people don't expect vehicles moving at 20km/h mixed with vehicles doing 2-3-4-5 times that. A motorcycle can easily keep up with traffic, but there's a reason little Johnny can't take his Power Wheels out on the Deerfoot.

Which is why bike lanes really need to be separate, unless we're talking very slow and/or low volume roads. We figured this out decades ago with pedestrians, hence we have sidewalks. Why we don't automatically build similar infrastructure for bicycles is beyond me.
Agreed 100%. Bicycles are not the same as automobiles and they are not the same as pedestrians. In certain circumstances they can act as either (with cars driving at lower speeds, or with pedestrians when the bicycles are moving slower, or the paths are wide enough), but in many circumstances they act as neither. Which is why you see that most cyclists in Calgary look like die-hards, in full cyclist gear, almost ready to start the Tour de France. In the Netherlands on the other hand, most people are dressed in regular clothes and look like they are going grocery shopping. While someone like myself feels comfortable riding in regular traffic, most people are terrified by it. The reason why more people bike in cities like Amsterdam is that they feel safer doing so, not because they are intrinsically more cycling inclined.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 10:31 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Agreed 100%. Bicycles are not the same as automobiles and they are not the same as pedestrians. In certain circumstances they can act as either (with cars driving at lower speeds, or with pedestrians when the bicycles are moving slower, or the paths are wide enough), but in many circumstances they act as neither. Which is why you see that most cyclists in Calgary look like die-hards, in full cyclist gear, almost ready to start the Tour de France. In the Netherlands on the other hand, most people are dressed in regular clothes and look like they are going grocery shopping. While someone like myself feels comfortable riding in regular traffic, most people are terrified by it. The reason why more people bike in cities like Amsterdam is that they feel safer doing so, not because they are intrinsically more cycling inclined.
I ride in regular clothes. My route is basically downhill so I dont even break a sweat!!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 11:00 PM
dvdktn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
I ride in regular clothes. My route is basically downhill so I dont even break a sweat!!
This chick has the same mindset.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 4:18 AM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidKuitunen View Post
That is exactly what I am talking about. But it seems most people in Calgary wear pretty intense clothes cycling to work (not all of course). Maybe it has more to do with the hills and the fact you do break a sweat.

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 1:47 AM
dvdktn

Today I got a speeding ticket at princess island park. I was going 19km/h in a area that is 10km/h. Kind of ridiculous IMO. It wasn't even busy.

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 3:36 AM

Seems like they always do a spring blitz around Prince's Island. Just go to court and tell them your speedometer was malfunctioning.

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 4:03 AM
Round Head

I hate that bullshit.

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 5:18 AM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Today I got a speeding ticket at princess island park. I was going 19km/h in a area that is 10km/h. Kind of ridiculous IMO. It wasn't even busy.
You were cycling?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2010, 7:43 PM
dvdktn

Quote:
You were cycling?
Ya, it was right by the pedestrian/lrt bridge. I was riding right behind another person who was going the exact same speed and he didn't get a ticket. There we're about 6 cops standing around giving out tickets. Kind of a waste of time and money IMO

Old Posted Jun 1, 2010, 9:05 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Where is this "princess island" you speak of?

I have been back on a bike after 10 years off- and am actually happy at how easy it's been getting around downtown and the beltline (any my neighbourhood minus the hills). The bike lanes on 10th Ave and 11 St are great for getting DT from my house, and traffic on non-major roads, like 15th Ave, has been easy to negotiate. I'm actually pretty amazed, and happy.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2010, 9:13 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post

I have been back on a bike after 10 years off- and am actually happy at how easy it's been getting around downtown and the beltline (any my neighbourhood minus the hills). The bike lanes on 10th Ave and 11 St are great for getting DT from my house, and traffic on non-major roads, like 15th Ave, has been easy to negotiate. I'm actually pretty amazed, and happy.
Biking through the Beltline, I found 13th, 14th and 15th avenues the best. No lights, and very, very light traffic. I find the DT a little hectic especially the one ways.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2010, 10:47 PM
dvdktn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post

prince's island* oops

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 1:39 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
prince's island* oops
LOL It's amazing how many even born-and-bred Calgarians call it that!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 6:28 AM

One thing I would love is a dedicated 2 way bike land on 3rd street SW.

You can get south from the river pathways through Eau Claire and down 3rd no problem, but heading home north on 2nd kind of sucks. Because of all the dual turns you have to ride ride up the exact centre of the road to avoid having to lane change in traffic.

Last edited by hulkrogan; Jun 2, 2010 at 9:33 PM.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 3:33 PM
The City That Moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
One think I would love is a dedicated 2 way bike land on 3rd street SW.

You can get south from the river pathways through Eau Claire and down 3rd no problem, but heading home north on 2nd kind of sucks. Because of all the dual turns you have to ride ride up the exact centre of the road to avoid having to lane change in traffic.
Yeah, I agree that there should be a dedicated north/south bike route somewhere in the city centre as currently none exists. Commuting along the river or 10 Ave, for mobility, is good but once you start heading into centre city it's pretty risky competing with traffic.

I figure it's only a matter of time before a cyclists is run over by a cement truck in a blind spot downtown.

One of the other routes I thought for a North\South route would be to make a pedestrian\cyclist bridge across the rail lines at 2nd st sw over the Gulf Square parking ramp which is already an existing bike route, and continue the north\south bike route into the city centre.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2010, 4:41 PM
Construction Enthusiast

The pedestrian Bridge between Tuscany and Scenic Acres (over Stoney Trail) is out for tender. It will look sort of similar to the new bridge going up at McKnight Westwinds station, for the people that have seen that. At least the steel design is very similar.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2010, 9:56 PM
Analyst, Commercial Mtgs

Quote:
Some people. She should have to retake her drivers test and learn that bicycles are vehicles and are supposed to ride in the street. Would she say the same thing to a motorcycle? I would have flipped her the bird.
I've been cut off by motorists who are making some dumbass driving moves that interfere with the bike lane on 11 st. More than once I've slammed my fist on their vehicle as I passed.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2010, 5:20 PM

I don't know if this has been discussed before but I think it sounds like great news! I look forward to seeing the master plan later this month. What I find exciting is that it appears this will be more than slapping some pathways down next to the ring road. The end of the article refers to the fact the perimeter pathway will tie into Fish Creek and Nose Hill parks along with running through the wetlands in Calgary's east end. Let the fundraising begin!

Quote:
Calgary plans 80-kilometre green beltway encircling city

By Richard Cuthbertson, Calgary Herald June 15, 2010

Myrna Dube, CEO of the Park Foundation of strolls along the new pathway east of 32nd Ave and 68th Street NE June 11. The foundation is preparing the master plan for a pathway system to ring the city.Photograph by: Ted Rhodes, Calgary HeraldCALGARY - It's an ambitious project that could be unique among North American cities and, when completed, will link parks and pathways around Calgary.

By the end of this month, the non-profit Parks Foundation Calgary should have in hand its master plan outlining an 80-kilometre perimeter pathway system that will encircle this city.

The finalized plan comes as construction has already begun on the east leg, with a section of pathway now finished and work on two other parts likely to begin this summer.

Currently, many community pathways in Calgary end without being connected much beyond their neighbourhoods, according to Myrna Dube, the CEO of the parks foundation.

This project will change all that.

"Now, we'll have something that will connect. You can get on in one spot, ride so far, walk so far, get off , go into a community and eventually go right around the city."

Completion of the perimeter pathway is years away. But last year, the foundation received a boost to jump-start the project with $2 million from the city and a little more than $1 million from the federal government.

Key to the project is land being provided by the province, as parts of the pathway system will wind along the utility corridor of the ring road.

As the master plan becomes finalized, a massive fundraising effort will begin.

Dube estimates it will take $50 million to complete the entire project.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/technol...#ixzz0qwX6UAjO

Old Posted Jun 16, 2010, 1:41 AM
dvdktn

Interesting Video about alternative transportation.

http://www.transalt.org/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates