HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Oct 28, 2007, 11:45 AM
Tokyo and Paris fan

Central Paris : Barbes, part 2

Old Posted Oct 28, 2007, 12:39 PM
Honored Member

Recently I went to Paris and I saw those "certifiée NF" signs?
For what is this ?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2007, 12:58 PM

Hey I know exactly where this is at, nice photos. This is where we arrived by Eurostar from London.

One thing for sure a lot of Paris can be somewhat grimmy as shown in these photos. Yet to me that is part of its charm, and I love visiting. If only the French were a bit more helpful and or hospitable. Persoanlly I didn't find them rude as many americans feel, but not the most helpful either. At least I can say the French did make eye contact, and stare at you sometimes. Its something the British in London never do, or you don't catch them looking. Yet I can't wait to visit again, already planning a trip for this time next year.

Last edited by ChrisLA; Oct 28, 2007 at 7:22 PM. Reason: reworded to clarify my comment near the end.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2007, 1:09 PM
Kicking it Viking style..

Nice pics mate!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2007, 3:11 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Recently I went to Paris and I saw those "certifiée NF" signs?
For what is this ?
NF : Norme Francaise. it is for said that this railway terminal is at the french norm.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2007, 3:19 PM
Dryer lint inspector

sure, i wanna visit the eiffel tower but these are the types of areas i really want to see in paris.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2007, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post
At least I can say the French did make eye contact, and stare at you sometimes, something the British in London never do, or at you never catch them looking. .
Visitors to London, including many English people (especially from oop North where people are friendlier) always make this complaint. You have to understand that making eye contact in London is an act of aggression! It's very rude. We respect each other's privacy and private space by not looking at each other and generally pretending we're not all crammed together in some overcrowded tube or bus. It's all about studied indifference and tolerance

Old Posted Oct 29, 2007, 12:43 AM
Tokyo and Paris fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post
One thing for sure a lot of Paris can be somewhat grimmy as shown in these photos. Yet to me that is part of its charm, .
I agree.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2007, 1:00 AM

Is that Paris or Harlem or Algiers?

wow the buildings and architecture look beautiful though

Old Posted Oct 29, 2007, 6:08 PM
Time/Space

I can't wait untill the day when I can walk on the streets of Paris.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2007, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsea Spy View Post
Visitors to London, including many English people (especially from oop North where people are friendlier) always make this complaint. You have to understand that making eye contact in London is an act of aggression! It's very rude. We respect each other's privacy and private space by not looking at each other and generally pretending we're not all crammed together in some overcrowded tube or bus. It's all about studied indifference and tolerance

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm not saying its bad or good, just very different and seems sort of disconnected or cold. I know that the Japanesse and a few other Asian cultures are like this as well.

I expect people not to really stare or make much eye contact on the trains. It was the same in Paris, and this is a common practice in the USA big cities as well. What I did think was odd is when someone enters or exit and still not one person even glance to see who's around. In Paris this is when I noticed many eyes looked up or even look at you in the window as they walk along the platform exiting.

When I mentioned this to my British friend who grew up in London, he laughed about it. He and his sister said, they to in fact look around, but are usually very quick and decreet about it.

Anyway I find it interesting studying people as they go about their daily lives, and both Paris and London are good cities to observe. It was just something that I noticed was quite different between the French and the British. I guess we americans have something in common like the French, we usually people watch, and look to see who's around us in public. As you are probably aware its part of our culture as americans, we are always taught its polite to make eye contact, and of men to give good firm handshakes when we meet people.

Last edited by ChrisLA; Oct 30, 2007 at 1:11 AM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2007, 11:08 PM

actually, I do tend to look at people when they get in the tube, although it's more of a discreet glance (as your british friend says) than an out right stare... I also tend to find men often have a good old peer at me, which is either nice or annoying, (depending on what the men look like - usually annoying ) (but men are basically the same anywhere in the world - and much worse in Paris or Italy!! )... in rush hour people are usually too preoccupied- reading or locked into their i-pods to take that much notice of others...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos