HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 9:56 PM
BANNED

They chopped all the trees down at the chillun's museum today.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arquitect View Post
I agree, I think he was stating that the current way the city has been planned is not walkable. Unfortunately, we like many other American cities, are paying the price for the Urban Renewal movement of the 50's onward. I love the pictures of old downtown with its large covered sidewalks. I think it would be awesome if the city changed its code to allow buildings to build up to the edge of the street as long as the ground level consisted of a large portico sidewalk that would shade pedestrians. This is common in some Latin American cities, where large plazas are surrounded by large buildings with covered walkways. It is a really great place to escape the sun.
I think if someone gave you a boatload of cash or a high profile consulting job, you could help develop a pretty incredible Phoenix with some of your ideas. Someone promote this man!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 3:30 AM

To whomever mentioned development along 2nd ave near the YMCA, I totally agree. With the eastern portion of downtown not in play because it is slated to become part of the Bio Campus, these lots are pretty crucial for getting more dense residential downtown. Does anyone know who owns these lots? Anyone with a solid history and even slight motivation to get things moving?

It's a shame The Jet never came to fruition. That was always planned as apartments, not condos, and we all know downtown could use some high rise residential to compete with, and deflate the prices of, 44 Monroe and The Summit. It's location was also ideal to bring some non-ASU life to that area, and to give some much needed traffic to local retail, particularly Crescent Ballroom. Ground floor retail was likely involved and could have helped to make the area look less scary and desolate - at night, especially.

Anyway, my point is, even some mid rise (6-12 stories) apartments along 1st and 2nd ave with ground floor retail would go a long way in creating a solid residential base to support nearby amenities and attractions, like Civic Space, YMCA, Crescent Ballroomand even CityScape. Additionally, filling those lots in with residential get us closer and closer to what is needed for a grocery store to find the market viable.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 4:27 AM
Skyriser

^ The company that was proposing the Jet, Desert Troon, still owns the land and still has a project website:

http://www.desert-troon.com/the-jet

In considering potential bellwether projects for downtown Phoenix, the Jet and whatever may happen on the Pappas site certainly rank near the top of that list...High density residential projects on those lots would really be a sign that downtown has turned around, and mark the start of a different, more organic period of growth.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 4:08 PM

What project is Stanton refering to in the NYT article?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 4:19 PM

I believe it's the short-term property enhancements being done on the property owned by Colliers near Indian Steele Park. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
I believe it's the short-term property enhancements being done on the property owned by Colliers near Indian Steele Park. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.
You are correct, this is the article just in case anyone wants to read it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/27/us...home.html?_r=0

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 4:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
They chopped all the trees down at the chillun's museum today.
Why did they do that?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2013, 3:17 AM
BANNED

I'm assuming its because they are idiots, but there may be a happier reason.

I don't know would be my answer.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2013, 4:41 AM

fence

[QUOTE=nickw252;5922343]Windows are installed in all the buildings, including the one with fire damage. It looks like work on the inside is starting. The contractors are over there all the time, including Thanksgiving Day. I'm surprised I was able to get pics without people there this morning.

Has anyone noticed the block wall along McDowell? The condos are now completely inward, isolated from the neighborhood. Very sad.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2013, 4:47 AM

[QUOTE=Jimks;5970337]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
Windows are installed in all the buildings, including the one with fire damage. It looks like work on the inside is starting. The contractors are over there all the time, including Thanksgiving Day. I'm surprised I was able to get pics without people there this morning.

Has anyone noticed the block wall along McDowell? The condos are now completely inward, isolated from the neighborhood. Very sad.
Yes, I was very disappointed. I could understand a block wall around the pool but not around the whole thing. My hope now is that they get some nice mature landscaping to take the emphasis off the prison looking wall.

Aside from the wall, The buildings were recently painted tan. That part looks decent. I'll get pics up tomorrow.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2013, 5:00 AM

Lofts @ 10 Project

Is anyone familiar with the Lofts @ 10 project? It's a nice looking mid-century hotel building at Van Buren and 23rd St that's been gutted and apparently is being re-done by the same architects that did the Lofts at McKinley. It's in a pretty sketchy neighborhood and will probably be low-budget housing but that's much better than the building sitting empty and getting vandalized.

http://www.acanthusarchitecture.com/...sing-remodels/

Old Posted Jan 12, 2013, 5:44 AM

[QUOTE=nickw252;5970343]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimks View Post

Yes, I was very disappointed. I could understand a block wall around the pool but not around the whole thing. My hope now is that they get some nice mature landscaping to take the emphasis off the prison looking wall.

Aside from the wall, The buildings were recently painted tan. That part looks decent. I'll get pics up tomorrow.
I would have preferred something similar to this with pilasters, short wall, and wrought iron. Even if it were cinder block with plaster, it would be a huge improvement and probably less likely to be tagged with graffiti.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2013, 6:22 AM

[QUOTE=nickw252;5970343]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimks View Post

*Anyone know who the owner is?

Last edited by Jimks; Jan 12, 2013 at 4:25 PM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2013, 7:02 PM

I went for a walk around the condos at 11th and McDowell this morning and ended up talking to the developer. Apparently there is a waiting list to see the units, and he was there today to show the property to those on the list.

There are seven 1 bed 1 bath units and nine 2 bed 2 bath units. The prices will be 150k for a 1 bed, 200k for a 2 bed. All units will have 1 covered assigned parking spot. HOA fee will be 199/month. With the exception of the pool, the project will be done on January 26th.

I went through a 1 bed and a 2 bed unit. I was very impressed. The 1 bed felt like it was about 700 - 800 square feet. The 2 bed was about 1,100 square feet. The 2 bed unit had an interior brick wall with a big fireplace. All units also had a nice fenced in patio area.

Unfortunately my pictures didn't turn out well - I was looking into the sun. I'll try to get more lately.

Last edited by nickw252; Jan 12, 2013 at 7:28 PM. Reason: for clarification

Old Posted Jan 12, 2013, 7:19 PM
BANNED

that seems rather pricey for that location, and of course they tell you there is a waiting list, do you expect them to say "no we haven't sold any yet, want one?"

I understand why they would wall the place off, it's not in a walking location, and it will help keep the element that you'd find on that sidewalk off the property.

thank you.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2013, 7:27 PM

Quote:
of course they tell you there is a waiting list, do you expect them to say "no we haven't sold any yet, want one?"
He told me they haven't sold any yet. The waiting list was to see the units.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2013, 7:32 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:

I understand why they would wall the place off, it's not in a walking location, and it will help keep the element that you'd find on that sidewalk off the property.
Its not a walking location currently, but it never will be if everyone walls themselves off.

McDowell has SO much potential between 19th Ave and the SR51. With proper planning it could be our version of Portlands Hawthorne BLVD. McDowell is WAY too wide and too fast, the first thing the City ought to do is remedy that. And like I've said before, I think McDowell Rd is the perfect place for PHX to get into the modern streetcar game.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2013, 7:46 PM

Totally. I've always loved reading your visions for McDowell. I hadn't been in the area until just recently, and was so impressed (and depressed at the same time for how it has been completely wasted) by the strip of street-facing retail along McDowell east of 16th street. A streetcar that connected this area down to 7th ave (and further, obviously) would be great, and one of our few chances to create distinct districts/neighborhoods outside of downtown, yet easily accessible via transit. Even the crazy art piece that hangs over McDowell near 16th screams "make me into a destination!"

I wish there was some kind of demand for apartments in that area. Small, 4-6 sorry, mixed use apartments in that area would be great. Beyond a streetcar, I'm not sure what else aside from residential could help kickstart revitalization. I'm not sure what the occupancy rates are, but while it's great that most of the businesses are local, it'd be much better if we got a healthy mix so that one day, the windows won't need bars across them. Nothing says "walkable boulevard" like barbed wire and bars across windows.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2013, 7:49 PM
BANNED

good luck with that. it's becoming apparent that Phoenix is finally starting to get some neighborhood hubs, which will start at intersections first. 40/Campbell, 16/Bethany, 7/McDowell, 3/Roosevelt, and so on and so forth. Eventually, but probably not in our lifetimes, these neighborhood centers will extend down the streets and become walking areas. I envision something like Omaha's Dundee but this wont happen until traffic slows down, and traffic ain't gonna slow down until the streets become narrower and more congested. Good luck convincing anyone on city council to approve making it harder to get places by car. Like I said, eventually, but definitely not in our lifetimes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest