HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 4:34 PM
Closed account

Whomever says that 30 over the speed limit is average in Ontario is crazy, imo. There are certainly a fair proportion of drivers who do drive that fast, but I don't think they represent the majority. I'd say for the most part, you have a split between people who stick to 110 (mostly trucks and a minority of cars), 115-120 depending on location and time (the majority) and then those driving 130+ (often the ones who clog the left lane).

Generally speaking a large number of drivers tend to cruise in one lane depending on their speed, which is annoying, but not terrible if they're sticking to the common speed in the lane. The most annoying people are those who stick to a lower speed, but cruise along in the wrong lane. Trucks are very often guilty of this, but so are other drivers. This results in the fourth class of driver who generally is in the 130+ category of driver, but also realizes that the right-most lane is under-utilized and so swerves back and forth aggressively through all the lanes.

----

I actually haven't had the negative experience that kwoldtimer has had with drivers in KW. Personally, I have found most people are fairly courteous and appropriately assertive when it comes to zipper merges. This is essential in some cases (Bridgeport onto Hwy 85), and a common enough situation in others. I've also never seen a Pittsburgh left here; the only time I've seen it is in Owen Sound on two occasions.

My biggest annoyance with drivers around here (and I imagine it is common in many places) is improper signalling in roundabouts and a lack of awareness of pedestrians and cyclists. It's as if people lose their minds for a minute while they franticly get in and out of the roundabout, a temporarily forget all the rules of the road. I have seen some improvement since they were introduced to the region, but I think we're well overdue for some very serious enforcement of the rules around using roundabouts to hammer it into drivers. Signal lights are still a thing!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
Whomever says that 30 over the speed limit is average in Ontario is crazy, imo. There are certainly a fair proportion of drivers who do drive that fast, but I don't think they represent the majority. I'd say for the most part, you have a split between people who stick to 110 (mostly trucks and a minority of cars), 115-120 depending on location and time (the majority) and then those driving 130+ (often the ones who clog the left lane).

Generally speaking a large number of drivers tend to cruise in one lane depending on their speed, which is annoying, but not terrible if they're sticking to the common speed in the lane. The most annoying people are those who stick to a lower speed, but cruise along in the wrong lane. Trucks are very often guilty of this, but so are other drivers. This results in the fourth class of driver who generally is in the 130+ category of driver, but also realizes that the right-most lane is under-utilized and so swerves back and forth aggressively through all the lanes.

----

I actually haven't had the negative experience that kwoldtimer has had with drivers in KW. Personally, I have found most people are fairly courteous and appropriately assertive when it comes to zipper merges. This is essential in some cases (Bridgeport onto Hwy 85), and a common enough situation in others. I've also never seen a Pittsburgh left here; the only time I've seen it is in Owen Sound on two occasions.

My biggest annoyance with drivers around here (and I imagine it is common in many places) is improper signalling in roundabouts and a lack of awareness of pedestrians and cyclists. It's as if people lose their minds for a minute while they franticly get in and out of the roundabout, a temporarily forget all the rules of the road. I have seen some improvement since they were introduced to the region, but I think we're well overdue for some very serious enforcement of the rules around using roundabouts to hammer it into drivers. Signal lights are still a thing!
I saw a guy do the left turn thing just yesterday at Benton and Courtland. Of all the bad merge spots, I would have said that Bridgeport at the Parkway was one of the worst, at peak traffic. I agree that many local drivers seem to lose their minds upon entering our roundabouts. I can't explain it and just make sure I am exercising extreme caution at each roundabout.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 4:53 PM
Has been

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post

I've personally never experienced more courteous drivers than in Saskatchewan, where the difference from even neighbouring Manitoba was palpable. They veer onto the paved shoulder to allow you to pass if you come up behind them at a faster speed. It's really quite something.
I frequently noticed this phenomenon when I was working here in the early 90s, but since I move out here in '02 I have seen happen this not once.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 5:05 PM

I've heard that the "go onto the shoulder to let someone going faster pass you" thing is pretty common in Labrador, too.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 6:05 PM

I am from NB where nobody knows how to work a round about, or the basics of city driving. Very courteous, but you must be on the look out, as someone is apt to cram on the brakes, putting all behind him at risk to let someone pull out onto the street. Also very cautions on highways for the most part. No tail gating in New Brunswick.

While I was in Montreal I found that everyone drove like they stole their car on the highways. You had to be aggressive or you will not be making your exit. However the people know how to handle their vehicles there and I did appreciate that.

The Parries where I now live (Northern) all have the same issue... INSANE TRANSPORT DRIVERS! The oil boys here drive like a six year old playing Grand Theft Auto. Very few over passes or ramps so they pick up speed slowly. This does not deter most from pulling out in front of you.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 6:12 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN
I listen to a lot of talk radio across the country. That nobody knows how to zipper merge is a big issue everywhere.

Vancouver drivers do know how to merge, they've had lots of practice because of the bridges. Another big difference between Vancouver or any large city, and a smaller one, is usually the presence of many more pedestrians, buses, and cyclists to cope with, so drivers have to slow down and be more vigilant.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 6:16 PM

The fast lane is usually respected in Quebec, people who drive on it for long distances will at the very least be driving 110 km/h, and most of the time it's not long before someone coming at 120 or 130 km/h will start to tailgate you.

Every time I go to northern Maine, Vermont or NH, I am surprised by how slow they drive. But in the southern regions of these states more densely populated people start driving fast, on par with Quebec I would say and maybe even slighly faster. And in New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, they drive fast as f***: average speed of 130 km/h, and 140 km/h was very common the last time I drove on NJ Turnpike, and they barely slow down in construction zones. A moto in Delaware passed me at 300-350 km/h. People drive dangerously fast on the suburban highways around NYC too, I remember driving on Saw Mill River parkway in the northern suburbs of NYC, it is a very old highway with very pronounced curves and complex geography but people don't seem to care since even though I was driving 120 km/h people would tailgate me and even flash their headlights at me whenever I used the fast lane to pass the (rare) slow cars.

Last edited by le calmar; Dec 16, 2014 at 8:00 PM.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 7:13 PM

I have to disagree with those posters who say that Winnipeggers don't let people in. In my experience, the problem is drivers who need in excess of five car lengths to merge and who refuse to use their gas pedal to accelerate. No one should have to switch to the left lane so that someone can 'merge', and it's not as if you need a crazy lane length in the first place to merge at 20 under the limit.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 7:44 PM

I drive back and forth between Toronto and Halifax quite regularly and echo most of what people have said about Ontario and the Maritimes. One thing that I have noticed in Quebec is that, on the highway, drivers seem to pull up much closer behind you before passing than they do in other provinces. If I'm going 105 (and I see all those out of province plates getting pulled over for speeding on the A20, no way I'm going any fast than that) the guy who wants to pass me will be going 110 tops and will creep slowly up behind me and pull into the passing lane at the last second. It's like drivers are scared to spend any more time than absolutely necessary in the passing lane.

Ontario drivers are very aggressive, particularly as you get closer to Toronto. It seems like everyone thinks they belong in the fast lane regardless of speed. And so many trucks, all playing an endless game of "pass each other at 3km/h faster than the other truck".

Drivers in the Maritimes, as has been pointed out, are courteous to the point of absurdity.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2047 View Post
I am from NB where nobody knows how to work a round about, or the basics of city driving. Very courteous, but you must be on the look out, as someone is apt to cram on the brakes, putting all behind him at risk to let someone pull out onto the street. Also very cautions on highways for the most part. No tail gating in New Brunswick.
Freddy drivers are getting a crash course in roundabouts. We've built a bunch in recent years on some fairly major roads. Of course next summer we're building what will probably be one of the biggest in the Maritimes, on Route 8 and Smythe.

And we still don't know how to use the damn things. My mom still tends to come almost to a complete stop before entering one, even if its empty.

On the flip side, people don't seem to know you're supposed to signal when you exit (probably because signalling to go 'straight' through is a bit of a foreign concept). Granted because people don't signal they aren't used to looking for signals. My dad nearly t-boned someone because instead of going 'straight' through, they were actually doing a 270 loop around (turning left). Dad's not used to using them either. *sigh*. (Granted were I driving I probably would have expected him to be going straight too; but I'd at least notice the other guy in the loop and be slowing enough to stop in case he wasn't turning out.)

Once Smythe @ Route 8 is built, it's going to be a 'fun' autumn and winter here I'm sure.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 8:36 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Unit View Post
I drive back and forth between Toronto and Halifax quite regularly and echo most of what people have said about Ontario and the Maritimes. One thing that I have noticed in Quebec is that, on the highway, drivers seem to pull up much closer behind you before passing than they do in other provinces. If I'm going 105 (and I see all those out of province plates getting pulled over for speeding on the A20, no way I'm going any fast than that) the guy who wants to pass me will be going 110 tops and will creep slowly up behind me and pull into the passing lane at the last second. It's like drivers are scared to spend any more time than absolutely necessary in the passing lane.

Ontario drivers are very aggressive, particularly as you get closer to Toronto. It seems like everyone thinks they belong in the fast lane regardless of speed. And so many trucks, all playing an endless game of "pass each other at 3km/h faster than the other truck".

Drivers in the Maritimes, as has been pointed out, are courteous to the point of absurdity.
All of this is spot on.

I find Nova Scotians driver slower than New Brunswickers. In NS everyone seems to drive 105/110 (except for around Halifax) whereas New Brunswick is almost always 120 everywhere. When I drive the 401 I can pass most cars doing 120 unless it's rush hour around Toronto (say between Oshawa-Cambridge). Quebec drivers are...a bit more aggressive, especially on the Island. I find Island highway driving much more tedious than Toronto highway driving.

Ontarians have this thing about sitting in the passing lane the entire drive. I don't know if it's because they're used to three-lane highways (where only transports use the normal lane) but in the Maritimes (and Quebec) everyone sits in the normal lane and only uses the passing lane for, um, passing. Whenever someone does this in the Maritimes it's more often than not an Ontario plate.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 10:31 PM

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
But if you're commuting in the GTA you never have an empty passing lane due to all the traffic, right?
I do the reverse commute so traffic is rarely bad on my route. Obviously there are lots of areas in the GTA where that's not the case.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 12:30 AM

ya most manitobans suck sure, but my god i fly past everybody when im in the states. The worst people for passing in the left lane are Minnesotans on black friday i was driving back from fargo and i kid you not there was 1 driver trying to pass the other for atleast 10min i lost it

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 1:12 AM

Here in Fredericton we like to say that our drivers, while not as crazy or as mean as others, are the worst in terms of driving skill. Try to enter the Westmorland Street Bridge at rush hour and you'll find out. They are completely incapable of merging, among other things. These always crack me up:

http://lamespotting.com/wp-content/u...rshandbook.gif

http://lamespotting.com/wp-content/u...rshandbook.png

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 1:53 AM
See ya down under, mates

On the north shore of Vancouver, where the average age is very old, 40km/h is normal in 50 zones and 70 is seen a lot on Hwy 1. Almost all roads are one lane each way so I frequently get stuck behind someone going 30-40.

Best word to describe drivers is "dopey." They won't check for pedestrians, roll through stop signs and yet drive very slowly like they have nowhere to go.

This is different from the rest of Vancouver, where people drive more aggressively, but are still somehow dopey and inconsiderate and lack a general knowledge of road rules.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
Calgary:
Video Link
Wow, speechless although this could very well be from Metro Vancouver.

https://www.facebook.com/RichmondLearnstoPark

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 4:57 AM

Toronto drivers are aggressive and sometimes dangerous, but I think learning to drive in that environment has made me a better driver. It certainly has helped me zip through rush hour traffic, and also made me far more defensive.

I think someone else mentioned this, but people in other parts of the country are very timid drivers - they're afraid of doing anything at high speeds. Its probably why you see so many people unable to merge from on ramps, or people sitting in slow moving traffic lanes when there's a completely open lane right beside them.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 8:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
, but people in other parts of the country are very timid drivers - they're afraid of doing anything at high speeds. Its probably why you see so many people unable to merge from on ramps, or people sitting in slow moving traffic lanes when there's a completely open lane right beside them.
People are timid drivers everywhere in the country but in Toronto? If that's what you are saying then you probably ignore many other posts in this thread.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 1:38 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Zipper merging is a nightmare here as well.

The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary launched a public information campaign about how to do it right here last year.

Generally people in the unobstructed lane still let those trying to merge in, it's just that very very few cars use that other lane, thinking I guess doing so is cutting the line.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada