HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Sep 11, 2011, 7:42 PM

Powderhorn, Minneapolis

Powderhorn is a south side neighborhood consisting of a half dozen sub-neighborhoods (Whittier & Lyndale aren't considered to be Powderhorn outside of the city government since they're cut off by a highway and they share business corridors with other SW side neighborhoods). I checked out the namesake park and few commercial blocks on the east and west ends. This is an up-and-coming neighborhood which is a little hood, has a heavy Mexican presence, blue-collar roots, and a newer artsy population which has moved in recently (a coffeeshop, Mexican restaurant, and dodgy grocery store all being located next to each other sums it up). One side of E Lake St belongs to both Powderhorn and Phillips to the north, but that'll be its own thread. Over here, there are commercial intersections on a number of streets including Chicago, Bloomington, Cedar, 35th, and 38th, so when you stray off of the main drag of Lake it helps to know beforehand which clusters have what as Powderhorn is a large area, but you can pretty much walk around on any major street with a bus line and you'll stumble across something interesting. You'll notice there are some empty storefronts and quite a bit of the housing stock is modest and some of the apartment buildings look none too great, which I take as evidence that great housing stock is nowhere near as important as great businesses.

Double patty filled with ooey-gooey cheese that oozes out for just $5.50: a must for meat eaters.

Powderhorn Lake

Oh, the smells coming from this place. If I didn't already have a juicy lucy and fries I would have stopped in for sure.

They serve excellent espresso at Blue Ox and this is a newer place that opened recently to give the neighborhood more vibrancy.

As an added bonus they have a couple of Nintendo consoles.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2011, 9:04 PM

I like blue-collar areas that getting some artsy influence. Places like that are typically filled with possibility.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 5:16 AM
BANNED

I was just in Minneapolis for the first time over a long Labor Day weekend. We biked everywhere with incredible ease and actually made a stop at the Blue Ox.

Great city!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos