HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Devon Energy Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Oklahoma City Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted May 19, 2012, 7:00 AM
Big City Enthusiast

Sweet aerial pic!

NBA fever in OKC!

from UnFrSaKn

Old Posted May 20, 2012, 12:55 PM

Old Posted May 20, 2012, 1:56 PM

Amazing tower, but it looks so huge because of the building surrounding it, kinda like Williams Tower. Great building all around!

Old Posted May 20, 2012, 2:43 PM

This building is phenomenal. Congrats to OKC.

What OKC most needs after this is massive infill of 3-5 story buildings downtown, as walk-ability is key.... but besides that, more buildings in the 300-500' range would do well to balance out the skyline.

Devon HQ is definitely an icon, though!

Old Posted May 20, 2012, 8:19 PM
Big City Enthusiast

Shouldn't this be at T/O status now?

Old Posted May 20, 2012, 9:22 PM
An Optimistic Realist

That's what I want to know too. Unless the roof and the top half of the building is still going through preparations.

Old Posted May 20, 2012, 9:34 PM

Is there an observation deck in this beauty?

Old Posted May 20, 2012, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post

What OKC most needs after this is massive infill of 3-5 story buildings downtown, as walk-ability is key.... but besides that, more buildings in the 300-500' range would do well to balance out the skyline.

EVERYONE please be patient! Eventually, OKC will sprout more towers and complementing development near Devon Tower or other areas downtown. Meanwhile, why not just bask in the enjoyment of what's already occurred? OKC is the envy of many cities, including my own smaller hometown, that will likely never have such an iconic building. But, THAT doesn't make it any more or less ' great ' or memorable to it's residents and supporters. What good is it for ANY city to have blocks of soaring towers and surroundings devoid of other activities, civic attractions, or street life? Remember, unlike Devon Tower, most skyscrapers are only accessible to select clientele and users. Which leaves the remaining community and visitors unwelcome.

Too often, many civic fans and overzealous forumers want to rush more skyscrapers into big and small CBDs without ever giving thought of their enormous costs and necessity. I, too, would love to see more highrises arise in OKC's skyline and many other communities. However, IMO, their downtowns need not be ' manhattanized ' to be appreciated. It takes far more than a cluster or more of skyscrapers to make a city, truly, ' great ' or every city that had them would be! Paris, Rome, London, Etc. are ALL more famous for countless other attractions than their skyscrapers. OKC and most cities will be too. Don't get me wrong! There's no harm in us having great expectations, so long as WE don't lose sight of the overall progress that's already taken place or upcoming in our communities. More great things are, likely, coming to Oklahoma City's downtown and surroundings. Meanwhile, be patient, and enjoy what's already taken place!

Old Posted May 20, 2012, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockMont View Post
Is there an observation deck in this beauty?
There is a restaurant on the top floor.

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
What OKC most needs after this is massive infill of 3-5 story buildings downtown, as walk-ability is key....
This has actually been going on for quite some time before and during Devon construction. This neighborhood northeast of the CBD is a great example:

Map is made by Pete from OKC Talk. Every colored parcel is a 3-8 story building. Other than Deep Deuce Apartments (2000), every building is from later than 2006. Yellow is current construction. Several other major projects (mainly residential) in the 3-5 story range have been completed or are under construction in other core neighborhoods.

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 2:12 AM

Looking west:

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 12:35 PM

I dremed for years of some whopping 50 story building going in downtown, never thinking it would really happen. Thanks to Devon, here we are!!! It's gorgeous and I'm so happy it's there. When i drive by this thing, i also picture it as a big middle finger to all of the doubters of OKC. We're still battling the Okie mentality with the rest of the country on a daily basis. We still don't get credit for what we do. Hey guess what, our unemployement is at 4% folks. But people still think we're all stupid here. So that's why i love that they get a "finger" when they drive by.

Give us some time. With the transformation that's happened in the last 20 years....just wait for the next 20. We'll be pulling that carpet right out from under you.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2012, 3:48 PM

here is the update since most of the park and the lobby have been opened. everything looks amazing. these were originally posted on okctalk.com

Front

Great patio seating area with several entrances to the restaurants inside.

West side entrance

The lawn.

The auditorium frames the lawn. Myriad Gardens across the street.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2012, 5:06 PM

smoken hot

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 9:03 PM

Have y'all seen Devon's younger sibling? (also U/C) http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=456028&page=8

Old Posted Jun 16, 2012, 10:57 PM
Chicagoland Runaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
I dremed for years of some whopping 50 story building going in downtown, never thinking it would really happen. Thanks to Devon, here we are!!! It's gorgeous and I'm so happy it's there. When i drive by this thing, i also picture it as a big middle finger to all of the doubters of OKC. We're still battling the Okie mentality with the rest of the country on a daily basis. We still don't get credit for what we do. Hey guess what, our unemployement is at 4% folks. But people still think we're all stupid here. So that's why i love that they get a "finger" when they drive by.

Give us some time. With the transformation that's happened in the last 20 years....just wait for the next 20. We'll be pulling that carpet right out from under you.
I was under the same Okie impression too until I visited OKC this time last year -- I've lived in Chicago all my life, but when I saw the transformation from the mid-90s bombing on television to now...it took me completely off guard. It's a gorgeous city and I'm very interested to see what other kinds of gems we might see in the coming years.

And to be clear, Devon totally gave me the middle finger on the I-40 heading north to Edmond.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2012, 4:04 AM

Quote:

There is no rationale for thinking that a sea of 300- 500 buildings will sprout up in OK city in the near future..lol this is NOT DUBAI. Yes, its a nice building, but Devon was a fluke. Why dont they concentrate on actually making their city a real city instead of dreaming of skyscrapers that are dead at night after people flee to the suburbs on their new 16 lane freeway(there is some irony..lol)

Last edited by JoePDX; Jun 17, 2012 at 4:20 AM.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePDX View Post
There is no rationale for thinking that a sea of 300- 500 buildings will sprout up in OK city in the near future..lol this is NOT DUBAI. Yes, its a nice building, but Devon was a fluke. Why dont they concentrate on actually making their city a real city instead of dreaming of skyscrapers that are dead at night after people flee to the suburbs on their new 16 lane freeway(there is some irony..lol)
You are so sad.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 4:36 PM

Devon is a beast, don't worry what anybody says.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 4:05 AM

never heard of any 800ft flukes in my entire life. you make little sense when spouting such rubbish. there is plenty of reason for other corporations to follow suit and build in Oklahoma. what rubbish.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive