HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 11:27 PM

That's Delta's fault for putting everything into ATL. They live and die by the airport.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 1:43 AM
Go Saints!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by micropundit View Post
Atlanta Business Chronicle
HMSHost Corp. has won retail concession deals at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, which will get 20 new stores, and has revealed where the stores will be within the airport.

Bethesda, Md.-based HMSHost, in partnership with local Atlanta firms, Shellis Management Services and Trans Air Concessions, said the stores will be throughout four of the airport's concourses. Build-out is set for completion in 2009.

Brands will include the first free-standing Bvlgari, Salvatore Ferragamo, Ermenegildo Zegna and Sean John stores in U.S. airports. Also slated are consumer favorites Kiehl's, Swarovski, Lancome Beauty Lounge and LeSportsac.

"As the busiest airport in the world, Hartsfield-Jackson is a center for international travel, but it is also the 'local' airport for residents of Georgia and beyond," said Ben DeCosta, general manager of aviation at Hartsfield-Jackson, in a press release. "The [Atlanta] city council selected HMSHost because its retail offerings reflect Atlanta's dual role as international gateway and hub of Southern culture and fashion."

The complete list of new stores follows.

Pre-Security Atrium:
Atlanta Magazine's Home

Blockbuster Video

Shellis News

Simply Books

Starbucks Coffee

Z Market

Concourse A:
Brookstone

Bvlgari

Ermenegildo Zegna

CNN News

Salvatore Ferragamo

Simply Books with Café Brioche Dorée

Z Market

Concourse B:
Airport Wireless

CNN News

Sean John

LeSportsac

Z Market

Southern Living News

Lancome Beauty Lounge

Kiehl's

Concourse T:
Atlanta News and Gifts

Bijoux Terner

Harley-Davidson

Lather

Radio Road

Rocawear

Swarovski

Shellis News

Southern Flavors

TechShowcase

Z Market
why would blockbuster want to open inside an airport. wouldnt that be a clear way for your rented product to leave and never return......

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 1:56 AM
Reliable Source

Nothing against ATL specifically, but many of these brands are being degraded through excessive exposure. I wonder if their long-term interest is best served by moving into airports and Vegas hotels.

On the other hand, the culture is changing. Putting the product in front of economically diverse audience maybe is the best way to maximize profits. In the short term that will occur...but are they really protecting long-term profitability?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiorenza View Post
Nothing against ATL specifically, but many of these brands are being degraded through excessive exposure. I wonder if their long-term interest is best served by moving into airports and Vegas hotels.

On the other hand, the culture is changing. Putting the product in front of economically diverse audience maybe is the best way to maximize profits. In the short term that will occur...but are they really protecting long-term profitability?
I agree. Such as Bvlgari and Salvatorre Ferragamo are high-end products, and putting it in an airport completely cheapen the brand for me. Who is gonna spend thousand of dollars just walking through an airport. Or possibly, they could just put the less expensive products for the airport market. I don't know. I have to see the store to make a judgment.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 10:00 AM
Atlanta Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLonthebrain View Post
DL was one of the only airlines to report a profit for 2Q08. Most legacy carriers reported losses, though a couple of them were relatively small. The fact is that DL is doing something beyond fuel hedging to come out in the black. The day ATL sees half as much DL service as it does today is the day DL ceases to exist, because ATL is its bread and butter, hands down. If not for ATL, the global airline known as DL would not be global at all. So, while the industry is going through unprecedented challenges at the moment, primarily due to ridiculously high fuel prices, places such as ATL will continue to play a huge role in the survival of hub carriers DL & FL.

The South Terminal Complex may not be built for a while, but that's what a Master Plan is for. The trigger on those projects needed for future growth won't be pulled until a demand milestone is reached. That is probably right around 100 Million passengers. I'm expecting to visit ATL next week and will ask some of my friends at the Airport to find out what the magic number is.

Also, keep in mind that ATL just announced an up to 1,500ft extension of its already longest runway to accommodate fully loaded widebody aircraft 365-days a year. This is big money, though largely federally funded, to throw at increasing capacity, and it is coming with Delta's strong support.

ATL will be just fine, and I think will come out ahead of a lot of other airports partly due to the growing population base of the Metro Area. It is still going up, and that is a good thing ultimately for air travel demand. That is, as long as oil doesn't rise to and settle at $150 or higher, because many won't be able to afford to fly if that occurs.
Ditto

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisianaCharm View Post
why would blockbuster want to open inside an airport. wouldnt that be a clear way for your rented product to leave and never return......
That's assuming there are no other blockbusters in any other airports, or that you are not able to mail in the return (like netflix). This is actually quite brilliant. I would love to rent a move to watch on my flight on my laptop!

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonheart8588 View Post
I agree. Such as Bvlgari and Salvatorre Ferragamo are high-end products, and putting it in an airport completely cheapen the brand for me. Who is gonna spend thousand of dollars just walking through an airport. Or possibly, they could just put the less expensive products for the airport market. I don't know. I have to see the store to make a judgment.
I'm strongly in favor of making expensive products cheaper. I'd be much more inclined to purchase Bvlgari or Ferragamo if they weren't so expensive.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
I'm strongly in favor of making expensive products cheaper. I'd be much more inclined to purchase Bvlgari or Ferragamo if they weren't so expensive.
But Andrea-- if they weren't expensive would you really want them? Seriously, the whole cachet of most of these brands is the fact that they are prestige objects that not everyone can afford. I stayed at a hotel that liberally passed out Ferragamo toiletries, I squirreled them all away to bring back to my wife who I thought would be thrilled, but she took a sniff, pronounced them "French whore house" quality (no...don't ask me how she knows what French whore houses smell like) and threw them away. The point is, lots of products are only desirable because they are exclusive.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 3:53 PM

Guys,
Have you seen this website. It's a thorough site on the new East terminal. Fantastic.

http://www.hmmhteam.com/index.asp

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompuss View Post
Guys,
Have you seen this website. It's a thorough site on the new East terminal. Fantastic.

http://www.hmmhteam.com/index.asp
I discovered it a couple months ago, actually. Too bad you need an account to get to the gravy.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstoner View Post
But Andrea-- if they weren't expensive would you really want them? Seriously, the whole cachet of most of these brands is the fact that they are prestige objects that not everyone can afford. I stayed at a hotel that liberally passed out Ferragamo toiletries, I squirreled them all away to bring back to my wife who I thought would be thrilled, but she took a sniff, pronounced them "French whore house" quality (no...don't ask me how she knows what French whore houses smell like) and threw them away. The point is, lots of products are only desirable because they are exclusive.
Tombstoner,

It's the exclusivity principle. I have some friends in another city who were on the board of a distinguished older country club. About 25 years ago, it was fading a little because the membership was getting older. They needed new blood,so they started offering these great deals. They dropped the initiation and dues several times, but were still getting little response. At one point they were down to $2,500. Then somebody had the brilliant idea to quintuple the fees, and and suddenly people were beating down the doors to get in. Within six months they had a waiting list, and today it costs $110K to join, if you're willing to wait three years.

Steve Rubell had the same idea back in the 70s. I remember the lines of people snaking around the block trying to get in Studio 54, when you could walk right into other clubs on the same block. People wanted to get in because they couldn't.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstoner View Post
Yes. It wouldn't be Bvlgary if it wasn't expensive. I mean that's what wal-mart jeweleries are for.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonheart8588 View Post
Yes. It wouldn't be Bvlgary if it wasn't expensive. I mean that's what wal-mart jeweleries are for.
Exactly. How else are we supposed to know quality?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 2:17 AM
Reliable Source

It seems that with the overall drop in wealth (we can argue the cause and effect, but it's happening) there is a move away from price differentiated "luxury" goods. McMansions sit empty and unwanted, your local luxury car dealer is about to close shop, Vegas hotels and Miami condos are a drug on the market. Maybe the Bvlgarys and Swarovskis have made a decision to move downmarket while upholding the branding for as long as they can get away with it.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 3:09 AM
Go Saints!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinatl View Post
That's assuming there are no other blockbusters in any other airports, or that you are not able to mail in the return (like netflix). This is actually quite brilliant. I would love to rent a move to watch on my flight on my laptop!

i guess you are right.....i never thought of it that way.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 4:34 PM

[QUOTE=Fiorenza;3693447]It seems that with the overall drop in wealth (we can argue the cause and effect, but it's happening) there is a move away from price differentiated "luxury" goods. McMansions sit empty and unwanted, your local luxury car dealer is about to close shop, Vegas hotels and Miami condos are a drug on the market. Maybe the Bvlgarys and Swarovskis have made a decision to move downmarket while upholding the branding for as long as they can get away with it.[/QUOTE

I do not necessarily disagree with your comment, Fiorenza. Indeed, for many reasons with which we could all disagree, most people have and will continue to have reductions in wealth. But, the statistics continue to indicate increasing concentration of wealth within the top tier, especially the top 1%. Therefore, with airlines beginning to see that, to survive, they will need to move pricing above current levels that are affordable for a large portion of society, the future of air travel will likely become more the domain of the well-heeled.

If this proves true, then---in fact---the upscale customers pursued by high-end vendors will be the target market traveling through most airports. So, I'm not sure that these exclusive brands are moving downscale as much as they are following the changing demographics, making themselves easily accessible to their target market for whom spending $5-8 thousand for a watch is truly an impulse or routine purchase they would make while darting through airports to their various homes, vacations, speaking engagements, business association meetings, shareholders' meetings, Board meetings, etc.

Just a thought about how we are moving to the socio-economic stratification of what we used to perceive of developing nations as a result of our national Darwinian economic policies.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2008, 5:00 PM

Three new Brazilian destinations from Atlanta

Delta has applied for daily Atlanta-Manaus and Atlanta-Fortaleza-Recife-Atlanta four times weekly.

http://airlineinfo.com/ostpdf71/92.pdf

Now if only Brazil didn't require expensive visas for Americans...

Old Posted Jul 30, 2008, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cane View Post
Delta has applied for daily Atlanta-Manaus and Atlanta-Fortaleza-Recife-Atlanta four times weekly.

http://airlineinfo.com/ostpdf71/92.pdf

Now if only Brazil didn't require expensive visas for Americans...
Hey, if only America didn't require the same of Brazilians. It's called reciprocity visa requirements. Good for Brazil!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 11:00 AM

I'm all for reciprocity if done in a smart way. Chile, for example, has a booth at the Santiago airport. US citizens (and those of other countries that charge Chileans for visas) go there first to pay for the visa, you get a small receipt that makes it valid for the life of the passport, point made and off you go. Brazil,on the other hand, requires plane tickets, passports being mailed to embassy/consulate, application, etc.

I suppose you could argue that Brazil comes closer to reciprocity, since that (and worse) is what the US does to Brazilians wanting to come here. However, it seems to me that ignores the fact that Brazil is not exactly a hotspot for Americans wanting to emigrate illegally. I suppose the way we're going that might not be too far off. Anyway, for a country that's trying to attract foreign capital and develop tourism on its northeast coast, that seems like shooting yourself in the foot.

This may all be moot. I understand several countries in South America, including Brazil, have qualified for the visa waiver program. Of course, that'll still require Brazil to update its passport system.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 10:35 PM

Very true observations. I am little bit worried that I will just HAVE to return to Chile for the umpteenth time soon to get a new visa as my passport expires in just about two years.

I anticipated, however, the argument regarding undocumented immigration and asylum-seeking status for many foreigners. Trust when I say that honestly, Brazil is not lacking in foreign capital investment....can we say Europe? Geez, we can barely get enough people in America to even learn a foreign language like Spanish--I have little doubt that Portuguese holds an equitable level of interest. More and more countries are participating in the "visa-upon-arrival" process which (other than standing in seemingly interminable queues) to me are a good thing. I have enjoyed obtaining my tourist visa at the airports in Istanbul and Dubai. If only Russia would adopt it then I would be extremely happy.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta