http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/09...ed-1080p-video

Highlights:

full frame
24MP
100% coverage
39 AF points
1080p HD video
$2,099 list
Sony announced the a99 too. Full frame madness everywhere.

My Book

Old Posted Sep 15, 2012, 5:24 PM

Ritz Camera is going under:

My local Ritz is taking things even further, with some lenses marked at 60% off.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 6:10 AM

Fujifilm announced new mirrorless camera, X-E1. Around $700 cheaper and more compact than X-Pro1 and has a built-in flash, but no hybrid optical/electronic viewfinder and bundled with a standard zoom lens instead of a fast prime.

I think I will buy new camera after all, but I'll wait for X-Pro1 to be discontinued and sold at clearance price in 1-2 years. I figure I will be eventually forced to buy new camera soon no matter what. How long do digital cameras last anyways? My current camera is 8 years old :/

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 1:58 PM

The electronics (pcb and chips) in a digital camera should last a very long time. Heat, corrosion and water damage ruin electronics. In normal conditions, they might last decades. Any moving parts, like a shutter or mirror will wear out over time. My old Nikon D50 has well over 50,000 shutter activations and is still going strong. I have no idea what the lifespan is for an image sensor, but like other electronic parts, they probably last many years. The other point of failure would be the battery, which is usually replaceable.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 2:01 PM
So very tired...

Yes, I could see the shutter/mirror failing before the sensor itself.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 12:45 AM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
Fujifilm announced new mirrorless camera, X-E1. Around $700 cheaper and more compact than X-Pro1 and has a built-in flash, but no hybrid optical/electronic viewfinder and bundled with a standard zoom lens instead of a fast prime.

I think I will buy new camera after all, but I'll wait for X-Pro1 to be discontinued and sold at clearance price in 1-2 years. I figure I will be eventually forced to buy new camera soon no matter what. How long do digital cameras last anyways? My current camera is 8 years old :/
I like the look of these fuji cameras they have coming out. My issue is that the lenses are still pretty limited. Of course they did come out with an M-mount adaptor which is pretty swank. Get you some leica action. The nex 7 is a decent options as well and has lots of good lens options. Slr magic has come out with some really nice hyper-prime action for the e-mount.

My Book

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 9:49 PM

M lenses reportedly don't work well with digital (M8 and M9 have special sensor to deal with them). I think it's better to buy lenses designed with digital and a smaller sensor in mind, but that's just me I guess.

Fujifilm already released 3 compact, fast primes, and that's what I want - no more slow, bulky zoom lenses for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
The electronics (pcb and chips) in a digital camera should last a very long time. Heat, corrosion and water damage ruin electronics. In normal conditions, they might last decades. Any moving parts, like a shutter or mirror will wear out over time. My old Nikon D50 has well over 50,000 shutter activations and is still going strong.
Interesting, my Olympus C-7070 is probably same age as your D50. I know higher end cameras are guaranteed for 100k shutter count or 150k, etc. minimum. Lower-end have no such guarantee.

According to this: http://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/nikon_d50.htm D50 has 80% survival at 48k-64k count, and survival rate declines dramatically after that.

Mine is a point-and shoot though, electronic shutter instead mechanical, so shutter count makes no difference, though there are other mechanical parts such as the dials and zooming.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 12:35 AM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
M lenses reportedly don't work well with digital (M8 and M9 have special sensor to deal with them). I think it's better to buy lenses designed with digital and a smaller sensor in mind, but that's just me I guess.

Fujifilm already released 3 compact, fast primes, and that's what I want - no more slow, bulky zoom lenses for me.
They came out with a fuji branded converter for m-lenses. Maybe they know something you dont

http://www.adorama.com/IFJXP1MA.html...FSemPAodgC4AZw

My Book

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskojoe View Post
They came out with a fuji branded converter for m-lenses. Maybe they know something you dont

http://www.adorama.com/IFJXP1MA.html...FSemPAodgC4AZw
Seriously? They even talk about the problems of the M lenses right in the description:

"Three levels of distortion correction are also available to combat barrel distortion on wide-angle lenses, and pincushion distortion on telephoto lenses. Users can select from Strong, Medium or Weak correction, or simply turn any correction off.

Peripheral illumination controls the amount of darkening at the four corners of an image. Eleven levels of correction can be applied from +5 to -5 (including ?0?) with users given the choice of darkening the corners of the image to emphasise a central subject or lightening edges for more even illumination across the frame.

Finally, color shading correction allows each corner of the frame to be color corrected to combat any shift in color between the center and edges of the frame. Corrections can be made to red/cyan color shading and blue/yellow color shading from -9 to +9 relative to the green channel."

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 5:00 PM

Just a rumor right now but there is talk of a new Canon body with very high megapixels (46) and improved dynamic range over their current sensors. The sensor might be larger than full frame.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/09/4...plus-2012-cr1/

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/09/m...ixel-talk-cr1/

Hopefully it doesn't cost as much as other medium format cameras.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2012, 2:04 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Seriously? They even talk about the problems of the M lenses right in the description:

"Three levels of distortion correction are also available to combat barrel distortion on wide-angle lenses, and pincushion distortion on telephoto lenses. Users can select from Strong, Medium or Weak correction, or simply turn any correction off.

Peripheral illumination controls the amount of darkening at the four corners of an image. Eleven levels of correction can be applied from +5 to -5 (including ?0?) with users given the choice of darkening the corners of the image to emphasise a central subject or lightening edges for more even illumination across the frame.

Finally, color shading correction allows each corner of the frame to be color corrected to combat any shift in color between the center and edges of the frame. Corrections can be made to red/cyan color shading and blue/yellow color shading from -9 to +9 relative to the green channel."
You could go nex7 with slr magic hyperprime action. They make a 35 and a 50 that go to 0.95.

My Book

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 3:55 PM

It's almost getting to the point where any camera is good enough for most purposes, unless you're doing something specific or making large prints. About half the photos in my latest thread were taken with my phone: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=202053
A couple are obvious, but can you really tell which ones?

The answers are under the spoiler below

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 2:31 AM

I think the camera on a new smartphone is about where point and shoots were in 2007. For general purpose shots a phone will work and the images look ok on FB or when presented in a photothread at reduced resolution. However camera phones are extremely limited with their wide lenses, slow focusing, lack of depth of field, poor low light performance, etc. But wide angle city shots during the day... that works.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 3:39 AM

Obviously a phone isn't a dslr. I came to it with no expectation that I would be able to get usable shots, but I'm pleasantly surprised. It's far better than my point and shoot, which was a decent camera in 2006. Compared to that camera, the phone focuses faster, has much less shutter lag (it can actually shoot 6fps), does better macro, is wider, has far better high ISO performance, and has more convenience features like smile detection and panoramas. Surprising dynamic range. Doesn't zoom though.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okayyou View Post
I think the camera on a new smartphone is about where point and shoots were in 2007. For general purpose shots a phone will work and the images look ok on FB or when presented in a photothread at reduced resolution. However camera phones are extremely limited with their wide lenses, slow focusing, lack of depth of field, poor low light performance, etc. But wide angle city shots during the day... that works.
I agree. When I take well lit photos on my phone, they turn out great. As soon as the light level goes down, some look good on the phone. But as soon as I get it onto my computer, the results are often disappointing. Lots of noise. But I find having a decent camera on me at all times is a huge bonus

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 12:34 PM

^^I had been thinking of getting a point and shoot for the past year or so for that very reason (My old Kodak point and shoot is too big for my pocket and is so crappy I haven't been able to use it for the last few years). I just couldn't find one that I liked. The phone will fill the bill, I just need to modify it so the volume button works the shutter.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 6:18 PM
3rd Coast King

Speaking of point and clicks. Wish I had the bank for this little camera. Smallest full frame to date. Goes to ISo 25600 and has a Zeiss 35mm f2. Wish it had a built in viewfinder but you can buy an attachment for it.

Sony RX-1

My Book

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 2:25 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

Question... so, the girl moved and left me alone here in Denver. And she took my cameras with her. Grr. But that means, I need something new.

I am a Canon guy... I want a general walkaround DSLR. Looking at body only. Don't want to spend the money for a 5D (or even the new 6D) just now.

That leaves me the 7D, the 60D, or a T4i. I hate to admit it, but despite the better specs in the 7D, for my walkaround/travel body, I kind of want the tilty LCD in back.

Which brings me to the 60D. Anybody have any experience with it? I am deathly afraid that I'll buy it tomorrow, and the 70D will be announced Wednesday... but that said, it seems reasonable enough. Plastic body isn't great, but it's weather sealed, and I tend not to drop stuff, so that's all that matters.

I've got a Death Valley/Joshua Tree road trip, and a Middle East trip in the next two months, so I am on a clock. And not sure I want to do it with solely with my fun little S100.

Thoughts? I'd appreciate any firsthand experience anybody has.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 3:11 AM
Look up, Waaaaaay up

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography