HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Are you in favour of regulating and taxing marijuana?
Yes 97 97.00%
No 3 3.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
TIL half of the people who post on this forum are drunk.

PS: You need better friends.
You think that's all the friends I have?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 2:11 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipv View Post
Alcohol is an evil I will not condone. A good friend of mine is Irish, and she also drinks like a stereotype. She turns into a nasty, vindictive, argumentative monster when she's had one too many.. I straight up tell her that she cannot come over if she's been drinking because I'm not willing to put up with her shit. What an evil substance.

Meanwhile, I love hanging out with my pothead friends because there's nothing really quite more relaxing.. Plus the conversations are creative, interesting and insightful.

And I'm exactly the opposite. None of my friends are more than slightly obnoxious when drunk, however I can't stand being around some pothead people I know because they can't string together a coherent sentence. They think they are being creative and interesting but it's really just boring.

But everyone's different. This whole "pot is harmless" and everything else is evil meme is just as annoying as those who want to keep it illegal. Let's not pretend there aren't negative effects for some people. I generally abstain because if I have more than one or two tokes I'm literally curled up in a ball of fear and anxiety and generally think the world is coming to an end (yes I have had many different strains etc.). Far more damaging to me personally than having 3 or 4 pints.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
And I'm exactly the opposite. None of my friends are more than slightly obnoxious when drunk, however I can't stand being around some pothead people I know because they can't string together a coherent sentence. They think they are being creative and interesting but it's really just boring.

But everyone's different. This whole "pot is harmless" and everything else is evil meme is just as annoying as those who want to keep it illegal. Let's not pretend there aren't negative effects for some people. I generally abstain because if I have more than one or two tokes I'm literally curled up in a ball of fear and anxiety and generally think the world is coming to an end (yes I have had many different strains etc.). Far more damaging to me personally than having 3 or 4 pints.
Exactly. To pump the chest for legalizing pot and then say alcohol should be banned is quite idiotoc and ironic at best.

We all saw how well prohibition worked before! (All of society's problems were cured! Wait, only more problems were made).

And we all know that cultures that have banned alcohol have proven themselves to be the safest and less abusive towards women... wait....

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 2:16 PM

Quote:

Get a bunch of drunks together - disaster

Get a bunch of potheads together - food, laughs, sleep.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 2:20 PM

Quote:

Wow, that is weird, because every weekend I am surrounded by drunks at the bars and izakayas, and I have yet to see a fight erupt and we always all have a great time together!

Many people meeting their now wives / husbands / steady girlfriends / boyfriends during those horrid events you must despise

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Wow, that is weird, because every weekend I am surrounded by drunks at the bars and izakayas, and I have yet to see a fight erupt and we always all have a great time together!

Many people meeting their now wives / husbands / steady girlfriends / boyfriends during those horrid events you must despise
There is a difference between a drunk, and a casual drinker. I drink once in a while, the glass of wine, the beers here and there.. That's normal.

Unless you're getting shitfaced and peeing your pants, you're not a drunk.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 2:25 PM

If you get so drunk that you pee your pants, you need to learn self control.

Maybe all the people I know just know how to handle their drinks / drink responsible.

We are drunk, but no one is pissing themselves. For me, that is beyond "drunk."

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 2:25 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:

That's some binary thinking right there. On the whole yes, alcohol can be more damaging than weed. However the majority of people who drink don't get out of control. I mean, I'm usually out at least once a week to a bar and it doesn't turn into a debaucherous disaster at the end of the night.

Even most hardcore alcoholics are pretty subdued, and either drink in a corner of the bar or at home. Which is sad for a whole other host of reasons of course.

People who are truly angry drunks probably shouldn't drink. Just as I usually abstain from pot because of how it affects me.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 2:49 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:

I lived across the street from an Asian karaoke bar in Vancouver. Forget the fights, the drunken screaming of "Sweet Caroline" at 3am as they all stumbled for their black BMW sedans was much, much worse

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 2:59 PM

Quote:

Really? You hang out at bars around drunks and have yet to see a fight erupt? It is a 5 table piano bar? Sorry but I call bullshit on that. I've worked bars and there were always incidents every single night. Mostly it would be loud drunken idiots, and no fights, but fights, pushing matches, and yelling come with the territory of a bar.

For the record, I don't smoke pot. I did a few times when I was younger, and it wasn't for me. I also don't believe it's harmless, as I have seen first hand that it can be harmless. I also prefer alcohol, and drink it regularly and I've never had a problem with it. That said, don't tell me alcohol isn't a problem. I had parents that drank too much, and working in bars, I can tell you that it is a problem for some people. Same as Marijuana can be.

I still voted to legaize it, not because I think it's good or that it's harmless. I just don't see it as a criminal action.

Last edited by Cowtown_Tim; Apr 22, 2016 at 3:10 PM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 3:07 PM

Quote:
There is a difference between a drunk, and a casual drinker. I drink once in a while, the glass of wine, the beers here and there.. That's normal. Unless you're getting shitfaced and peeing your pants, you're not a drunk.
There's a difference between a toke and being stoned too.
I personally drink, but never to get drunk (and I don't).
I don't condone drunkenness for the same reason I don't condone being stoned.
You cant really compare moderation in one to an extreme of the other; it's less than fair.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 3:31 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown_Tim View Post
Really? You hang out at bars around drunks and have yet to see a fight erupt? It is a 5 table piano bar? Sorry but I call bullshit on that. I've worked bars and there were always incidents every single night. Mostly it would be loud drunken idiots, and no fights, but fights, pushing matches, and yelling come with the territory of a bar.

It really depends on the bar. At pretty much every bar I go to in Toronto (there's a lot of choices) it would be VERY rare for a fight to occur. There are other bars which I avoid that it would be much more likely. Of course the clientele are generally the types of people that are looking for a fight. Big difference.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 3:31 PM
ハルウララ

Totally ok with the Feds regulating and selling pot for the purposes of revenue-generation. My only concern is if they mess up the distribution model (stores, growers). At least they have Colorado, Washington, Alaska, etc. to use as base models for research.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 3:47 PM

Quote:

For the record, I don't smoke pot. I did a few times when I was younger, and it wasn't for me. I also don't believe it's harmless, as I have seen first hand that it can be harmless. I also prefer alcohol, and drink it regularly and I've never had a problem with it. That said, don't tell me alcohol isn't a problem. I had parents that drank too much, and working in bars, I can tell you that it is a problem for some people. Same as Marijuana can be.

I still voted to legaize it, not because I think it's good or that it's harmless. I just don't see it as a criminal action.
Never said alcohol isn't a problem. People do need to learn personal responsibility though.

And maybe that is why I don't see many bar fights, because I live in a country where people actually do have great personal responsibility on average. Also, drinking is far more normalized here than in Canada in many ways (despite the higher drinking age). Most bars actually have all you can drink menus here, and rarely is there a problem, even in the seedier places And by all you can drink I mean two hours unlimited beer, sake, whiskey, cocktails, etc... for as cheap as 15 dollars in some places, and yet, never once seen a fight in my 2 years and 7 months here, despite going out every weekend (and during the holidays 2 or 3 times a week). You can call bullshit all you want, but maybe you should get out of Calgary.

Also, even while living in Vancouver, there were many bars are went to (Japanese izakayas, Korean sports bars, wine bars, lounges, laid back / university style bars, etc...) and yeah, almost never saw a fight. It depends on the spot you go. I don't go where the punks / assholes like to go. Many of them are smoking weed too and they still fight and ruin everyones night

Just need to know where to go / what bars and drinking spots to patronize and you will have a safe fun time!

Its like in the Simpsons when Homer is looking for a new bar and he goes to the redneck bar where everyone fights. There is a huge variety in drinking culture / venues, and many of them are not prone to violence due to the community / drinking culture that surrounds them. I am sure that even in Calgary there are plenty of good places to get drunk that are safe from violent assholes just looking for trouble.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 4:49 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Really? You hang out at bars around drunks and have yet to see a fight erupt? It is a 5 table piano bar? Sorry but I call bullshit on that.
I've never seen a fight in a bar in my life. These days I hardly drink, but I used to go to them once or twice per week.

Not all bars are the same.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 4:49 PM

When I was in university I was on a beer league team. Most if not all of the students drank alcohol and shots. Most of them just wanted to get drunk no jokes.

https://www.trudeaumetre.ca/

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 4:53 PM

https://www.trudeaumetre.ca/

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 5:11 PM
of Canada

I don't really care one way or another what they do with this. Although I'd say I'm at least slightly in favour of the legalizing it.

I've never tried it and don't intend to at this point in my life but have always wondered - what does it feel like when you smoke some weed. There was a story on CBC last week about edibles. They were comparing an amount of an edible product (chocolates or something like that) to a number of glasses of wine (4 in this case).

So, I've had 4 glasses of wine before

Is that in any way a valid comparison?
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 5:14 PM

Like Niwell said, it all comes down to the bar you go to. As a general rule,
-the bigger the bar, the more likely you'll have those problems,
-the younger the crowd, the more likely the problems.
-if it's a pickup place with lots of single guys, the more likely the problem
-If there's a dance floor and loud music (rock, Hiphop or dance) more likely the problem

I've always gone to smaller pubs, and haven't seen a lot of issues with people even when they are drunk. It's the type of clientèle and the atmosphere that makes the difference.

That said, you could repeat those same rules for pot smoking. There are often people at the pubs I go to that are high, or have had a few tokes, and they've never been a problem. They know how to control their weed smoking just like I control my drinking.

Quote:

Quote:
It really depends on the bar. At pretty much every bar I go to in Toronto (there's a lot of choices) it would be VERY rare for a fight to occur. There are other bars which I avoid that it would be much more likely. Of course the clientele are generally the types of people that are looking for a fight. Big difference.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 5:19 PM

I forgot to mention why I am on this thread in the first place. Yes, legalize it, not because it's harmless or allegedly less harmless than alcohol, etc.. It simply isn't a crime in my books. That and and the crime surrounding it because it's illegal needs to stop .

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada