HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 7:35 AM

NAIROBI, KENYA | Projects and Development

I have been to this city in Sub Saharan Africa and am impressed on its development rate.From tall glassy buildings to super furnished hotels.......its actually one of those pride of Africa.Ever been there also before?share with us

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 12:00 AM

Pictures would be nice. "Tall glassy buildings" isn't what normally springs to mind when you say kenya.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 1:34 AM
JoeCooper

I personally would love to hear more of development of this city. I know it's definetly an up and commer!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 2:14 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by briantech View Post
Pictures would be nice. "Tall glassy buildings" isn't what normally springs to mind when you say kenya.
It is when I picture it. Nairobi has an relatively impressive and modern skyline given where it is.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2009, 4:50 AM
Ex Houstonian

i was going to live in Nairobi for a summer but after learning its reputation as nairobery I decided to go elsewhere. It is definately a very modern looking city skyline wise and just outside of the city limits are lions, elephants, etc. Its very strange. I hope someone comes along and posts photos but should this not be rather in the city discussions section.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2010, 9:21 AM

I've worked in Nairobi for quite some time. So I'm happy to post some pictures of Nairobi skyline in this thread:
Downtown from Community Area - AFYA House

Downtown: Central Park/ Uhuru Park with Nyayo Memorial

Kenyatta Center:

View - Downtown:

From the rooftop:

In front (the slightly x-shaped building)is the site of the 1998 US embassy bombing:

A few small remarks: Even though there is a national park quite close to the city center, you won´t find a lot of animals there - especially no elephants or lions, but only some hyenas or with some luck zebras and wilderbeasts! There are almost 4 million people living in Nairobi and more than 1/3 in Subsahra Africas' largest slum Kibera. There is just not enough space for man and nature in the same place!

Last edited by Flatfox; Feb 4, 2010 at 1:23 PM.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2010, 11:21 AM

Photos arnt working here

Old Posted Feb 4, 2010, 4:53 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by briantech View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
It is when I picture it. Nairobi has an relatively impressive and modern skyline given where it is.
I think most people would agree with briantech on this one. For someone not familiar with Kenya I was thinking more low laying concrete structures. Or maybe huts..... =p
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
I think most people would agree with briantech on this one. For someone not familiar with Kenya I was thinking more low laying concrete structures. Or maybe huts..... =p
that's a pretty ignorant view. Nairobi is East Africa's chief financial and service center's and has been building skyscrapers for decades now.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...138551&page=10

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 10:17 AM

I would not call it ignorance, but a lack of knowledge where the main problem of most African countries lies. This is not predominantly western exploitation of these countries but the extreme disparity in the distribution of wealth (as measured by the Gini coefficient) as a result of/ and leading to a vicious circle of clientelism, corruption,politicized ethnicity and violence! In short, 10% of the population are rich and 90% live or almost live below the poverty line. This is reflected by a more or less modern city center (incl. highrises) that you will find in any major African city in general and by the huge number of Land Rovers and Hummers driving around in downtown Nairobi in particular! But after crossing River Road in the east of downtown the city pretty much looks like that:

P.S. @ Nite - In picture no. 14 - isn't that Nakumatt Downtown that burned down early 2009?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations