HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Sutton Place Nova Centre in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 5:47 PM

I drove around the site just before Christmas and did not spot the parking entrance. I was told it was supposed to open mid-December.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post

Is this the entrance/exit for parking?
I believe the underground parking entrance is actually on Grafton. Which seems like a real drawback to the supposed pedestrian oriented design, but... it had to go somewhere.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns_kid View Post
I find it equally confounding but repeat only what I was told; however, if you check out the convention centre floor plans, available on their website, there is no hotel access visible there.
Presumably (although admittedly not much better than crossing an exterior plaza) people could access both the hotel and convention centre through the shared parking garage?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
Presumably (although admittedly not much better than crossing an exterior plaza) people could access both the hotel and convention centre through the shared parking garage?
Well a conventioneer is not gong to get wet or stuck in a snowbank or even freeze to death ,walking/running across a courtyard from hotel to convention center. Maybe they will be surprised to know that Halifax is generally better weather wise than much of Canada. They might actually cross Argyle St to a LOCAL restaurant to enjoy some Halifax flavor.Might be the first step to them venturing for a short walk in the downtown and encourage them to explore more so than being stuck inside while in town

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 7:10 PM

According to Halifax Retales the NSLC is opening a 4000 sq foot store in the Nova Centre

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 7:19 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
According to Halifax Retales the NSLC is opening a 4000 sq foot store in the Nova Centre
I wonder if an urban format grocery store will ever open up again around the Scotia Square area. It will only get more and more viable in the future as new residential highrises go up (e.g. Westhill on Duke plus tons of sites around Cogswell).

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 8:05 PM

Regarding the parking garage, you do have to enter and exit through "roger's square". Sadly, it hasn't opened yet, but looks pretty much finished. My buddy and I snuck down there a few nights ago to check it out. Seems like the only thing that wasn't finished yet is the gate at the entry and exit.

Also, I was talking to a guy that I worked with who is good buddies with Joe Ramia. According to him, both the Nova Center and Prince George were all for covering the costs for building the pedway between the two complexes, but the city planners wouldn't play ball.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I wonder if an urban format grocery store will ever open up again around the Scotia Square area. It will only get more and more viable in the future as new residential highrises go up (e.g. Westhill on Duke plus tons of sites around Cogswell).
I certainly wouldn't be surprised. Pete's always does a brisk business at City Centre Atlantic.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
I certainly wouldn't be surprised. Pete's always does a brisk business at City Centre Atlantic.
One can dream. Living and working downtown, the only time I ever use my car is for groceries. Even then - Petes on Dresden is only a 10-15 minute walk.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 3:19 PM

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 2:53 PM

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 10:35 PM

What I thought was going to be the usual over abundance of railings on the steps has turned out to be even more lighting.

20180202_165548 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 11:26 PM

Thanks for all your updates, Jonno.

I'm liking each time they add lighting to the NC. It should be pretty inviting and colourful if they keep it up.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 3:32 AM
Halifax Promoter!

With LED lighting, the sky is the limit.... I hope the building is really wired. So many major buildings in major cities can change their look with LED lighting....

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Thanks for all your updates, Jonno.

I'm liking each time they add lighting to the NC. It should be pretty inviting and colourful if they keep it up.
I'm really liking most of the lighting. The big exception is the blue downlighting on the sidewalks. It feels like you're walking through a nightclub, and it makes it really hard to see the topography of the surface (gawd, I'm becoming a cranky old man...).

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
I'm really liking most of the lighting. The big exception is the blue downlighting on the sidewalks. It feels like you're walking through a nightclub, and it makes it really hard to see the topography of the surface (gawd, I'm becoming a cranky old man...).
The UV lighting does seem harsh at street level. Would also love to see the southern point of the tower light up a bit more, looks great so far but fairly dim at street level in contrash to the UV

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 3:15 PM

There is a story in ANS today about the Nova Centre Hotel. Anyone know the gist?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
There is a story in ANS today about the Nova Centre Hotel. Anyone know the gist?
No hotel announced yet. A list of hotel operators and money managers who made offers on the hotel in the past. In the meantime, the Prince George is capitalizing on the void and advertising themselves as a convenient accommodation choice for convention-goers.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 4:47 PM

I was speaking to one of the poor souls whose office moved to the tower - prematurely as it turned out. Apparently it is still very much a construction site and will remain so for a long time. Aside from the hotel side being a totally unfinished shell, most of the office tower is as well. The parking garage is not open because it is used to store materials and equipment. There is also no access control/pay equipment installed either so most people can't use it (though apparently there is an informal way to get in if you use the right code words). Public amenities like washrooms, etc also are not working reliably or finished properly. It is still very much a construction site according to this person and will be for many months/years to come.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
I find the short section of what looks like lightbulbs strung over the end of Argyle St looks really tacky, like what someone might rig up for their deck in the summer. It sure as heck isn't the kind of plaza lighting you see in other cities.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth