HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jan 2, 2016, 5:07 PM

No pic, but the lights in the basement were left on and I could see that a fair amount of work has been going on in there with new concrete floors and studs poured.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 3:30 PM

A shot looking into the basement window on Sackville street.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post

So, not exactly "harbour views".

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Next time you're in the area, ask them to clean the windows so we can get a better view!

Seriously, it looks like significant work going on there. Could you get a good look at what progress has been made?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Next time you're in the area, ask them to clean the windows so we can get a better view!

Seriously, it looks like significant work going on there. Could you get a good look at what progress has been made?
This and a few other basement/foundation columns have been poured. It will be interesting to see how this one sprouts up through the old building instead of just ripping it out and saving the shell.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 11:19 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
This and a few other basement/foundation columns have been poured. It will be interesting to see how this one sprouts up through the old building instead of just ripping it out and saving the shell.
Makes one wonder why this is viable but the Doyle Block isn't. If the Doyle Block used a similar approach and saved most of the old buildings on the SGR side it would be a great development (I think a modern facade on the Doyle side would be okay, and potentially an improvement).

Anyway, thanks for the photos. This one's easy to forget about since it's next to some much larger developments, but it'll be a nice improvement to the area as well.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Makes one wonder why this is viable but the Doyle Block isn't. If the Doyle Block used a similar approach and saved most of the old buildings on the SGR side it would be a great development (I think a modern facade on the Doyle side would be okay, and potentially an improvement).

Anyway, thanks for the photos. This one's easy to forget about since it's next to some much larger developments, but it'll be a nice improvement to the area as well.
Most things are possible if there is a will to do something; makes me think of clear cutting forests, much easier than trying to save some of the landscape while harvesting some trees; and once the old growth is gone...

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Thanks!

I really like the way they are doing this one - a practical way to build a nice, new development while maintaining the character of the original building. I think it will be really cool when it's done.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 1:57 PM

Quote:

Completely agree!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Most things are possible if there is a will to do something; makes me think of clear cutting forests, much easier than trying to save some of the landscape while harvesting some trees; and once the old growth is gone...
That's the key point for the Doyle Block and some other projects as well. There is no will to do this as it's easier/cheaper to just knock it down and build anew. In the Doyle Block case there doesn't even appear to be any will to build new building that's attractive, IMHO...

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 3:01 PM

Quote:

Hopefully, next time we are told its impossible to save the existing, this'll give us something to point to, and we can understand what's really meant is that the developer doesn't WANT to save it (and I assume we can also understand that not everything needs to be saved).

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 3:24 PM

Quote:
That's the key point for the Doyle Block and some other projects as well. There is no will to do this as it's easier/cheaper to just knock it down and build anew. In the Doyle Block case there doesn't even appear to be any will to build new building that's attractive, IMHO...
I think that's basically correct. It's easier and cheaper to doze the block and build new, and the Westwood folks seem to be lacking in imagination as well.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 5:16 PM

Not much change externally from last summer:

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 6:31 PM
armchairitect

Quote:
Not much change externally from last summer:

they poured a concrete floor the other week at the market street level. so i suspect the basement work is complete.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 5:42 PM

This site had been very quiet over the past few months, but in the last week I've started to see workers and trucks again and they were pouring some concrete for something this morning.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 10:40 PM

Construction now in full swing again on the site. And I only noticed after I posted this pic that the back half of the building has been taken down.

20160525_154352_HDR by Jonovision23, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 2:48 PM

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 8:37 PM

An excavator showed up on site yesterday and it has been really busy?!

From this afternoon.

2016-06-02_04-32-04 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 1:59 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Slightly different angle:

Source

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Love that shot. Can't help but be impressed by the precision of the granite work at the entrance.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth