HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 11:49 PM

Pizza Delight Spring Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmcclassic View Post
According to my gf (who works there), they have already laid off 3/4 of their waiters/waitresses (started with 40, now have 10). She thinks they will fold before the end of the summer - we shall have to see what happens.
According to reports (allnovascotia) this Pizza Delight location is one of the busiest in the chain. According to the restaurant's manager, they currently have 41 staff as of today, not 10.

Last edited by BigBoxRestaurants; Apr 8, 2012 at 1:29 PM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 12:15 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoxRestaurants View Post
According to Imvescor Restaurant Group (allnovascotia) this Pizza Delight location is the busiest in the chain.
Interesting. Had a look at the article and they pointed out that liquor sales are really high at that location. That makes more sense than the family-style pizza restaurant business. Lots of students would go to a place that offers cheap booze and pizza at night.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 1:51 PM

Happy Easter!

or Happy end of Passover
or Happy Birkat Hachama
or Happy Hana Matsuri
or Happy International Roma Day!

However you slice it, even the city is wearing white today!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 4:36 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

I can't find the thread for it (not sure it exists) for the NSLC site of Agricola st. I know there was a rendering of it somewhere. I was talking to someone at NSLC today and the current building is beginning to come down. NSLC will move to the back and then the front of the building will come down. He said the condos were still being built in the rear parking lot. Construction fences are up around the lot and 2 guys were tearing down parts of the outdoor ceiling this afternoon. I hope this is what it seems like it is and that site is finally getting developed.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 6:14 AM

I know it's been completed for ages now, but I was in the NSCC Waterfront campus extension for the first time today and took this quick snap.

(own photo)

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 6:24 AM

It looks really fresh. It reminds me a lot of the airport, and some of the newer buildings at Dal (edit: the NSP headquarters as well). This type of aesthetic could be interesting on the exterior of buildings as well.. think of King's Wharf or the Trillium with wooden panels instead of precast, or even just wooden insets used as a replacement for aluminum or plastic accent features.

edit: found this picture on Geoff Keddy's website that illustrates what I'm trying to get at. Imagine the curved section at the front of this house, but extended up for 20 storeys. I wonder if this is a popular style anywhere?

Last edited by Hali87; Apr 13, 2012 at 7:41 AM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 1:16 PM

I think this on the corner of SGR and Birmingham fits in nice

Summit spa is already open and TD is on finishing touches

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 6:26 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Looks okay, but sterile. You wouldn't want too many buildings like that on Spring Garden Road (then again, you never really want all new buildings because only certain businesses can afford to pay new building rents). I'm guessing 75% of the problem is the blank corner. They should have put a big entrance there along with some design features to break up the facade.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Looks okay, but sterile.
I like the sterility on such a busy street... I don't know that a whole street of buildings like this would work, but I think it's a nice fit for the area.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 12:51 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
I like the sterility on such a busy street... I don't know that a whole street of buildings like this would work, but I think it's a nice fit for the area.
I think it can be okay if a small percentage of buildings are like this. The risk in Halifax is that districts like SGR are very small -- really only about four blocks -- and could be swamped by a handful of developments.

Rather than redeveloping all of the old buildings I hope some development goes into expanding the borders of the commercial core. The retail part of Spring Garden could be extended out to Robie, for example, although lots of mistakes have already been made along that stretch that will make it difficult to build up in the future. Queen is another corridor that could work.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 2:50 PM

looks good, however i agree with someone123.

Would have been better to define the base (street leve)with a different material.

Certainly one of the better buildings built recently.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 8:20 PM
we built this city

Is there some sort of rule against corner entrances in Halifax? It seems like nobody uses them, yet they are more efficient use of space.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Is there some sort of rule against corner entrances in Halifax? It seems like nobody uses them, yet they are more efficient use of space.
Funny, but i believe in the HRM by design manual they actually direct/support corner entrances.

I like them in the right situation.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 12:48 AM
Honored Member

This one isn't very exciting but has been approved: http://www.halifax.ca/planning/Case16991Details.html

(source: http://thechronicleherald.ca/busines...yton-park-west)
Quote:
New residential development OK'd for Clayton Park West
April 17, 2012 - 7:58pm By REMO ZACCAGNA Business Reporter

A new residential development in Clayton Park West was given the go-ahead Tuesday.

At a special meeting, Chebucto community council unanimously approved a Stage 2 development agreement for two six-storey buildings with a maximum of 120 units in each.

It will be built in the Greenpark Close area, near Washmill Lake Drive. A Halifax Regional Municipality staff report also endorsed the agreement.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 1:14 AM
You talkin' to me?

Some good news regarding employment after the CBC layoffs

Quote:
Financial jobs coming to Halifax

Nova Scotia has beat out Toronto, Montreal and a few cities from the eastern United States in a bid to bring as many as 175 financial sector jobs to Halifax.

Canover Watson, of Admiral Administration, praised Nova Scotia Business Inc. in a news release.

"We felt special. You know NSBI went the extra mile and did what we felt was necessary to make it an easy transition, " he said.

The province announced Wednesday that Admiral Administration, based in the Cayman Islands, has already hired nine people for their new Halifax office.
more here: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...cial-jobs.html

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 1:09 PM

A pic from yesterday at the development on Portland near five corners. I couldn't remember if we had a thread or not?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 2:06 PM
You talkin' to me?

^Wow, that lot is bigger than I thought it was. Whats going in there again?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 4:15 PM

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 2:11 AM
Honored Member

According to a story in the allnovascotia.com (CFB Halifax Proposes Massive Willow Park Armoury, April 23rd, 2012, by Andrew MacDonald), the Department of National Defence is planning to build a 118,403 square foot armoury at Willow Park. I believe this is the location - http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=halifax...gl=ca&t=h&z=18.

According to the story, seven buildings will be demolished to build the new armoury.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
According to a story in the allnovascotia.com (CFB Halifax Proposes Massive Willow Park Armoury, April 23rd, 2012, by Andrew MacDonald), the Department of National Defence is planning to build a 118,403 square foot armoury at Willow Park. I believe this is the location - http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=halifax...gl=ca&t=h&z=18.

According to the story, seven buildings will be demolished to build the new armoury.
That site is far too valuable to be used for something like this. An armoury should be located off the peninsula in an industrial or isolated area. Just imagine what the Willow Park site could be if made available for use.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth