HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 11:53 PM

600 ft maximum is outdated for vancity. There is already talk once Sam Sullivan is gone that Vancouver will change height restrictions allowing for unlimited hieghts along Hastings st once they start demoing all the rundwon crackshacks.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 3:02 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

eastvanman,

I do not know why you are spurting such nonsense. There is no plans to increase the height limit. It is already flexible pending amenties. Sam Sullivan is certainly not restricting the height in fact he is very prodevelopment. Also as much as I would love to see towers along Hastings it is not going to happen, there is alot of redevelopment in the works for the area but think closer 15 stories along that road.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 10:27 AM

Yea where the hell did that come from? im all over that kinda news like white on rice, and I havent even heard rumours anything like that.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 10:49 AM
Dérive-r

Ya I'd like to know where this "talk" is coming from. If there was any accuracy to it that would be pretty sweet, but highly unlikely. Sam Sullivan has little to do with the issue. Height restrictions aren't his sole decision. I believe it's up to the planning department, and in order to change anything the changes have to be approved by the city council, of which the mayor is only one of numerous people. And assuming that Sam Sullivan was anti-tall-buildings, who is to say that the next mayor will be pro-tall-buildings?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 8:20 PM

Height restrictions

Silly me,

I forgot, I know nothing. I forgot that I was talking to a friend whose wife is on council, who shared that tidbit with me. I forgot that I never said it was for sure, that there was "talk". I forgot to mention that it is common knowledge that the limit used to be 400ft and then went to 500ft and now rests at 600ft, but in a clause stating that a possible extension is available based on a projected study of urban sprawl that is yet to come. How dare I. As for j lousa, to say that I am spouting nonsense is insulting. What may I ask do you know from your throne? As far as Sam Sullivan, he is one of many that would like to cap the height restriciton. Yes he is prodevelopment, pro sprawl that is. He is part of the idea to tear down St. Pauls Hospital(the ONLY downtown hospital) and move it to near Main and Terminal. And what would become of that massive spot left over by St. Pauls you say? Hmmm, maybe you should ask one of the scholars who responded to my last thread.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 8:44 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

double post

Last edited by jlousa; Dec 13, 2006 at 8:49 PM. Reason: duplicate

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 8:48 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Eastvan man,

If I sounded harsh it is because it was deserved. There are people on this board that are acutally connected and that work in the industry, not just friends of someone married who is on coucil. Councilors are just people who can spurt nonsense like anyone else. Sam sullivan is not of things but pro-sprawl is not one of them. Look into Eco-density which he ran on and tell me that's pro-sprawl. moving St. Pauls will not even be his desicion if/when that happens.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 10:36 PM
Dérive-r

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastvanman View Post
Silly me,
I forgot, I know nothing. I forgot that I was talking to a friend whose wife is on council, who shared that tidbit with me. I forgot that I never said it was for sure, that there was "talk". I forgot to mention that it is common knowledge that the limit used to be 400ft and then went to 500ft and now rests at 600ft, but in a clause stating that a possible extension is available based on a projected study of urban sprawl that is yet to come. How dare I.
FYI, you should give all the background information first time around when it comes to significant rumours such as the one you posted. Like leftcoaster said, many of us are religious about hunting down such information so throwing about rumours without any sources cited can be most definitely frustrating. And seeing rumours of that magnitude coming from somebody with only a couple posts on the forum can make many people skeptical. When people see such rumours on this forum they are prepared to pounce on it in an attempt to verify any accuracy. Try not to take it personally. Seeing such a wild rumour without anything to back it up, and coming from a relatively new person to the forum can lead people to assume you're just some punk kid posting some rumour generated by some other punk kid over on SSC.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 11:02 PM

oh I see

Well I guess you have deemed yourself in charge of doling out who is correct and who is not. Are you on city council? Or do you just take serious offence when someone posts there own opinions on the website that conflict with yours? "Sam sullivan is not of things but pro-sprawl is not one of them" Can you explain what dialect of English you are speaking here because I have tried to decipher it's meaning, but I am at a loss? I understand and realize that Providence is the main decision maker with the move of St. Paul's (let's hope it stays). As far as Sullivans' eco-density plan, it sounds wonderful, but will we see it implemented? Does his idea of mass transit take into account that Translink chooses not to pay it's Skytrain staff properly forcing them to strike starting tomorrow, or that many people refuse to use transit due to the fact that it is completely unreliable? I applaud Sam on trying to fight sprawl within the City, but the fact is it is a Lower Mainland issue, not Vancouver. There is no room left in Vancouver, but up. So what I am saying is that the height restrictions are just that, restrictions on solving urban sprawl. In many council meetings he has voiced an allegiance with a cap of 600 ft on all buildings. That makes sense now, considering the population where it is. These buildings I assume will be here in 20-40 years from now. The conservative estimate of a doubling of population within the Lower Mainland in 20-40 years will bring into question the need for more space, and if you don't go up you go out. Or he could start a subterranean initiative. I'll leave that between you and him

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 11:08 PM

Fair enough raggegy 13, I appreciate your message and I will take it under advisement. It was clearly stated that I said there was talk, nothing concrete. My main goal was to start a dialouge in reference to height restrictions in a city that will be hampered by them down the road. With the population on a steady increase with the Lower Mainland, being able to see the mountains should not be high on our priority list of what is important. One can always take the Ironworkers or Lions Gate and see them in all there splendour. However to truly deal with the population boom we will have to have buildings with an increased capacity. Once again I appreciate the message. Thank you

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 10:38 PM

does anyone have information and/or images of the new residential and recreational precint being planned for the South East False Creek?
My understanding is that there are 15-20 new building sites proposed

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 10:52 PM

I Love Vancouver! it is my second home. In a 2 year span, there was so many different things going on. Probably when i get back this summer, it is going to look totally different again. I cant wait to go to the 2010 Olympics and see what the city looks like with all these new construction projects. I cant wait to see!

Atlanta rocks!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 7:09 AM
Dérive-r

^When was the last time you were here? At least one significant change to check out while you're here in the summer is the progress on the city's new tallest currently U/C - Living Shangri-La. I think it is supposed to be topped out this summer. If it is, it shouldn't be too hard to miss. I can't wait to see how much impact it will have on the skyline. If we're lucky, you will also be able to check out construction on what will be the second tallest in the city which will be right across the street from the Shangri-La, assuming it gets started by then.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 7:57 AM

I would love to live In Vancouver for awhile.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 7:47 AM

Link to Vancouver thread

Here is a link to the Vancouver Construction thread. That's the place where the news and updates for Vancouver are. I don't think anyone has taken ownership for this thread and it has suffered accordingly. There is a huge amount continously going on in Vancouver and you would never know it from this thread.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...122494&page=61

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 11:49 PM

I started it two years ago, but as you can see with 56 posts, it aint popular and not much point keeping it. No one from Vancouver wants to post in two thread and I dont blame them.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2007, 8:06 AM
Dérive-r

I did this rough sketch of some of the visible additions to the skyline from this one particular angle (there are many more additions than this in other parts of downtown though).

I thought I'd highlight all the buildings in the pic that were either completed this year (all of which are actually still undergoing interior finishing work), u/c, and proposed (just two from this view and one of them is actually already undergoing site demolition).

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 11:34 AM

A long overdue update on some of Vancouver's many projects (all my photos, no order)

L'Hermitage ( mixed-use condo, hotel, social housing, grocery store, and retail, Robson and Richards)

(My photos, taken January 15th)

Raffles on Robson (mixed-use condo and retail, Robson and Cambie)

TV Towers (2 towers, mixed-use condo and retail, Robson and Cambie)

Atelier (mixed-use condo, retail, office, daycare, Robson and Homer)

H+H (mixed-use condo and retail, Homer and Helmcken)

Yaletown Brewing Office Addition (Mainland and Helmcken)

Renos on an office bldg at Homer and Nelson

The Donovan (condo, Richards and Nelson)

1022 Living (mixed-use condo and office, Seymour and Nelson)

Dolce & Vita (2 towers, mixed-use condo and retail, Seymour and Smithe)

Capitol Residences (mixed-use condo, music school, and retail, Seymour and Robson)

Ritz-Carlton (600ft twisting tower, mixed-use hotel-condo, Georgia and Bute)

Shangri-La (650ft tower, city’s tallest, mixed-use hotel-condo-retail-gallery, Georgia and Thurlow)

Flatiron (mixed-use condo and retail, Pender and Melville)

North elevation as seen from West Pender St.

The Ritz (mixed-use condo and retail, Pender and Bute)

The Coast Hotel (Hotel, Pender and Bute)

Jameson House (mixed-use condo and office, Pender and Howe)

Fairmont Pacific Rim (mixed-use hotel and condo, Burrard and Cordova)

Vancouver Convention Centre Expansion (Burrard and Canada Place Way?)

Canada Line Waterfront Station (Granville and Cordova)

(I had my camera on panorama mode and thus the vertical horizontal distortion)

Woodwards (2 towers, mixed-use condo, Simon Fraser University campus, office, retail, and social housing, West Hastings and Abbot)

33 Pender (condos, Pender and Abbot)

Espana (2 towers, mixed-use condo and retail, beside the Stadium-Chinatown SkyTrain stn)

Bowman Lofts (?) (Beatty and West Pender)

Cooper's Quay (4 towers, condos, Cambie Bridgehead)

Olympic Village (16 buildings, mixed-use condo, retail, community centre, social housing, senior’s housing, marina, streetcar line, grocery store, etc., etc., Southeast False Creek)

Foundry (condos, Southeast False Creek)

The Rise (mixed-use condo and large-format retail, Cambie and 7th)

Crossroads (mixed-use office, condo, restaurants, large-format, retail, Cambie and West Broadway)

Stella (mixed-use condo and large format retail (auto dealership), 12th and Kingsway)

One Kingsway (mixed-use community centre, retail, and rental apartments, Kingsway and 7th)

Last edited by SFUVancouver; Mar 7, 2008 at 1:03 AM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 5:51 PM

Amazing update! I love Vancouver, one of the best cities out there. Great density too!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2008, 12:49 AM
be nice to the crackheads

You've really put Vancouver's boom is in perspective, SFU. The city is transforming so quickly it's mind-boggling.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations