HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 15, 2016, 1:18 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Yesterday we had our final presentation for the Asian leg of our semester abroad, so I celebrated with BrewDog Tokyo (16.5% imperial stout) on the Hong Kong waterfront. Now that is a beer you drink like a port!

I'm in Macau now and heading to Singapore tomorrow for three nights before spending the next month and a half in Melbourne. There will be updates on the beer there.

Oh, and speaking of beer updates from Asia. Baird is probably Japan's best brewery, and Hong Kong kicks the shit out of Tokyo in terms of craft beer bars.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2016, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
The Propeller Rye IPA is definitely an IPA. I taste grass, but not as strong as in the past. There's some creamy aspect to this, like someone dumped a tin of Fussel's into the mix. Overall you can tell it's kind of amateur, but it's still better than macros. It has layers you can taste, unlike say Quidi Vidi British IPA.
I thought it was only okay. The small amount of rye malt they use definitely comes through, and it has that spiciness you'd expect. But as for the beer an an IPA, it was pretty boring.

Though you should never mention that vile beer that is QV British IPA

Quote:
The Garrison Brewery's Double Jack Imperial Pumpkin is really nice.

It doesn't immediately have that tinny, chemical taste that most large-batch, heavily flavoured beers seem to get. The flavour is strong, but somehow authentic.

You couldn't do the whole 650 ml in one sitting. In fact, it's probably best drank like a port.
Gonna give this one a go tonight I think. Might split the bottle with my girlfriend, we'll see. I'm going to do a side-by-side comparison with my homebrewed Pumpkin spiced ale. It'll be a tough comparison though, since mine is a light 5.3% ABV versus their imperial pumpkin at 8%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
Yesterday we had our final presentation for the Asian leg of our semester abroad, so I celebrated with BrewDog Tokyo (16.5% imperial stout) on the Hong Kong waterfront. Now that is a beer you drink like a port!

I'm in Macau now and heading to Singapore tomorrow for three nights before spending the next month and a half in Melbourne. There will be updates on the beer there.

Oh, and speaking of beer updates from Asia. Baird is probably Japan's best brewery, and Hong Kong kicks the shit out of Tokyo in terms of craft beer bars.
At that point, can we call it a double imperial stout?? TRIPLE IMPERIAL STOUT? Chocolate booze??

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 1:50 AM

Interesting piece in the Record about TWB (Together We're Bitter) coop craft brewery in Kitchener. They are whipping up a heritage cream ale made with a line of hops grown in Cambridge (Preston) hop yards over a century ago. The hops have been growing wild along the Speed River in Preston ever since.

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/...new-cream-ale/

Old Posted Dec 10, 2016, 11:53 PM

Reviving the thread for a Yellowbelly Brewery seasonal beer: The 2016 Mummers Brew.

For context, both Quidi Vidi and Yellowbelly release a Christmas seasonal beer both called Mummers Brew. QV's is always a pretty bland Amber Ale (probably more like an Amber Lager), but Yellowbelly usually changes its beer each year. Some years seem seasonally appropriate, like a chocolate porter last year, while other years the style seems a little strange for a holiday brew (Belgian Tripel, American Pale Ale).

This year's Mummer's Brew is an Imperial Oyster Stout.

This is the first Oyster Stout I've ever had that actually used oysters. It's a very subtle brine flavor, but the anise and ginger really stick out. I have to say, this is probably the best stout they've ever made, and definitely top three of best beers they've ever produced. A very bold brew.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2016, 12:09 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Would I like it? I'm curious to try.

They went with "Happy Christmas" instead of "Merry Christmas". I'm all for preserving our Irish/English heritage, but not to the point of being fake. That one is gone, b'ys, let it go. No one born since Confederation says Happy Christmas. Right? Everyone I can think of who says it in my life was old enough to vote in 1949. lol

Old Posted Dec 11, 2016, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Would I like it? I'm curious to try.

They went with "Happy Christmas" instead of "Merry Christmas". I'm all for preserving our Irish/English heritage, but not to the point of being fake. That one is gone, b'ys, let it go. No one born since Confederation says Happy Christmas. Right? Everyone I can think of who says it in my life was old enough to vote in 1949. lol
I think you could like this. There's a very subtle spice to is, but I would think you'd be okay with it. It isn't offensive

The Happy Christmas could come from the Brewmaster: he's an old Scottish guy (by old I mean probably mid 50s), but Scottish who moved to Canada so man years ago.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 2:33 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I'll try the Mummers and Granville's tonight.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 5:13 PM

I enjoy the Lions Winter Ale, though I know it can be hit or miss with people. I do like the vanilla-forward notes

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 6:57 PM

All right, I opened up my Untappd history, and here were my "beers of the year":

Parallel 49 - Russian Imperial Stout (Stout, Vancouver BC)
Indie Ale House - Broken Hipster (Witbier, Toronto ON)
Bridge Brewing - Bourbon Blood Orange (Wheat Ale, North Vancouver BC)
Dead Frog Brewing - Big Stump Spruce Golden Ale (Golden Ale, Aldergrove BC)
Spinnakers - Mitchell's ESB (ESB, Victoria BC)
Le Trou de Diable - La Saison du Tracteur (Saison, Shawinigan QC)

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 10:11 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
I enjoy the Lions Winter Ale, though I know it can be hit or miss with people. I do like the vanilla-forward notes
So, I'm seriously worried that I'm suddenly de-sensitized to hops and now need better beer forever.

But anyhow...

The QV Mummer's Brew had a very faint, distant hit of flavour and that tiny taste was enjoyable. But watery overall.

The Granville... same thing, unfortunately. Well, not the same, much better, but still very faint and watery. I did like how creamy it got after the first few sips, with a very sweet, sugary aftertaste. It definitely felt festive, so that was fun. But it was easily within the same realm as QV. It could've been made by the master who'd just taken QV on as an apprentice last year. They were only that different. So I'm assuming that's bad. lol

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 10:36 PM
Community Guy

Beau's Tom Green was good, but not flavourful enough given the description.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 10:39 PM
Closed account

My favourite of the year was Wild Card's Blonde Barista.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
All right, I opened up my Untappd history, and here were my "beers of the year":

Parallel 49 - Russian Imperial Stout (Stout, Vancouver BC)
Indie Ale House - Broken Hipster (Witbier, Toronto ON)
Bridge Brewing - Bourbon Blood Orange (Wheat Ale, North Vancouver BC)
Dead Frog Brewing - Big Stump Spruce Golden Ale (Golden Ale, Aldergrove BC)
Spinnakers - Mitchell's ESB (ESB, Victoria BC)
Le Trou de Diable - La Saison du Tracteur (Saison, Shawinigan QC)
La Saison, what a beer. I really miss it.

Quote:
So, I'm seriously worried that I'm suddenly de-sensitized to hops and now need better beer forever.

But anyhow...

The QV Mummer's Brew had a very faint, distant hit of flavour and that tiny taste was enjoyable. But watery overall.

The Granville... same thing, unfortunately. Well, not the same, much better, but still very faint and watery. I did like how creamy it got after the first few sips, with a very sweet, sugary aftertaste. It definitely felt festive, so that was fun. But it was easily within the same realm as QV. It could've been made by the master who'd just taken QV on as an apprentice last year. They were only that different. So I'm assuming that's bad. lol
I haven't had the Lion's Winter Ale in a few years now, I enjoyed it before my love of craft beer exploded. I don't remember it being as thick and filling as most other winter ale's (ie. closer to water-y). I want to try it again, but I'm afraid I'll ruin those fond memories with the truth about the beer

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 10:46 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

If anyone laughs at you, just introduce them to me. I'm your get out of jail free card for any beer preference mistakes.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 11:02 PM

Here were my top 10 rated beers of the year on untappd:

10. Pothole Filler (Howe Sound Brewery - Squamish, BC)
9. Pilsner Urquell (Pilsner Urquell Brewery - Plzen, Czech Republic)
8. 90 Minute IPA (Dogfish Head Brewery - Milton, Delaware)
7. Destiny IPA (Fuggles & Warlock Craftworks - Richmond, BC)
6. Duvel (Duvel Moortgat Brewery - Puurs, Belgium)
5. Fat Tug IPA (Driftwood Brewery - Victoria, BC)
4. Oude Kriek (Vieille) (Brouwerij Oud Beersel - Beersel, Belgium)
3. Gingerhead Gingerbread Stout (Red Racer Brewers + Distillers - Surrey, BC)
2. Chimay Bleue (Bieres de Chimay - Chimay, Belgium)
1. Westmalle Trappist Dubbel (Brouwerij der Trappisten van Westmalle - Westmalle, Belgium)

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 1:32 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Beau's is doing a Fogo Island beer. And Marty tells me you can't even get Beau's here.

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 2:12 PM

Brick Brewing has announced that it will expand its Kitchener brewery and close the historic Formosa Springs Brewery in Mildmay, ON. On hopes that a new craft brewer will take over Formosa, which has been a brewery since 1870.

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/...rings-brewery/

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 2:32 PM
sick transit, gloria

Managed to try some Alberta craft beer when I was home in Calgary over Xmas. The scene there is really starting to take off in the wake of loosened regulations a few years ago it seems. Like much in the city there's a lot in the suburbs so I wasn't able to check out enough of what I wanted but went to a few brewpubs and tried other stuff at bars.

I'd been last year but Last Best brewing (http://www.lastbestbrewing.com/) was my favourite place - great atmosphere in the bar (although seems HUGE compared to what I'm used to) and excellent beer. The IPA #3 Tokyo Drift in particular was a standout and is along the lines of fruitier pale ales that seem popular right now. Nothing I had was a disappointment though, and I think I went through the entire list.... noticeable improvement from last year.

Made it to Inglewood after an.. interesting bus ride featuring what seemed liked older versions of FUBAR characters come to life to check out the almost brand new High Line brewing (http://highlinebrewing.com/). It seems like a place with a lot of potential, but clear that some of the recipes are still working the kinks out. However, the HighPA which is a Vermont style DIPA is one of the better examples of that style I have had period! Chatted with one of the owners and it turns out he has Vermont connections so that seems like their flagship beer. Also has Toronto connections with some of the places I go to regularly.

One of the places I really wanted to make it out to but didn't was Dandy Brewing (http://thedandybrewingcompany.com/) in the NE. I've had a few of their beers at bars and have also had them recommended by people I've talked to at brewpubs - ran into someone who works there at High Line and got free stickers too. Unfortunately it's a bit far in the burbs and I didn't have enough time to make it via transit (not going to drive!). Next time for sure...

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
One of the places I really wanted to make it out to but didn't was Dandy Brewing (http://thedandybrewingcompany.com/) in the NE. I've had a few of their beers at bars and have also had them recommended by people I've talked to at brewpubs - ran into someone who works there at High Line and got free stickers too. Unfortunately it's a bit far in the burbs and I didn't have enough time to make it via transit (not going to drive!). Next time for sure...
Had a few Dandy brews (Underworld Oyster Stout and Bright Young Things Summer British Ale) and both were amazing. Love their artwork on the labels too.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 4:30 PM

I can't recall whether I've posted it before, but there is a new(ish) craft brewer in New Hamburg, ON (a lovely small town midway between Kitchener and Stratford) called Bitte Schön Brauhaus. http://www.bitteschonbrauhaus.com/about It's located in a beautifully renovated former hotel dating back to 1872. As the name would imply, they are focussed on German-style beers, which strikes me as interesting given all the emphasis on hoppy ales these days.

I have no idea when I might get down that way to check them out, so if there is anybody out that way who has sampled the product, I'd be interested to know if it's worth a stop on the way to/from the Festival.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada