HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
What a terrible idea. I'm all for this not to happen. I've been visiting St. Edwards Park over the past 2 weeks and I love that area. A hotel that size not only wouldn't fit in, it would negatively impact Bull Creek. As the someone in the article pointed out, that whole stretch west of 360 is prone to flooding. The automatic flood gate is just feet away from the intersection and there are several low crossings over the creek for more than 2 miles. If the guy who is proposing this hotel has visited the area like he says, he would know that. Any future flood of Bull Creek would cut acess to hotel.

The road itself is rual in nature and isn't designed for such a large development.
Interestingly, that land seems to have been recently removed from the floodplain map. I guess that's why there's now talk of developing it.

https://www.atxfloods.com/FP_mods/Map.html

Quote:
Any future flood of Bull Creek would cut acess to hotel.
Well, not completely. Yaopon would provide an accessible route. That's not ideal, but at least there's no issue of being completely cut off without fire/ambulance access.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 9:11 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Interestingly, that land seems to have been recently removed from the floodplain map. I guess that's why there's now talk of developing it.

https://www.atxfloods.com/FP_mods/Map.html

Well, not completely. Yaopon would provide an accessible route. That's not ideal, but at least there's no issue of being completely cut off without fire/ambulance access.
I see, I'm not too familiar with that area except Spicewood Springs between 360 and St. Edward's Park so glad that there is an access road to be able to get out of there. Such a scenic route though and I would hate to see it become more developed. Too bad the City of Austin hasn't already annexed the area.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 2:48 PM

The city's emerging project list was updated this morning. Whoever does this list should pay more attention to SSP.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/DowntownAu...ts_2016-11.pdf

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithlua View Post
Google made a big update to the Earth timelapse website recently.

Main link:
https://earthengine.google.com/timelapse/

heh... niceee!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 8:05 PM

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 8:23 PM
クラブトクヨ

Austin first city target? I love the pittsburgh one.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 2:24 PM
Love Austin

Great news on the Target! Fingers crossed that either HEB learns the urban format or a competitor of theirs enters all of their Texas markets.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 6:46 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by 427MM View Post
Great news on the Target! Fingers crossed that either HEB learns the urban format or a competitor of theirs enters all of their Texas markets.
Publix, a southeastern company, knows the urban market very well. That's where I shop down the road here in Columbia.

I live on Main Street a few blocks north of the State Capitol building, Publix is in the Vista. The Vista is kind of like Columbia's version of a cross between Austin's Warehouse District (except with a much more expansive display of historic warehouse structures) and Congress (Gervais, the street that anchors the Vista crosses in front of the state house grounds, with Main ending in front of the state house perpendicular to Gervais) but without any highrises (even if it all is street level interactive, walkable, and busy from 8 am - 2 am). It's all low-rise, even the under construction Aloft hotel is only 5 floors.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 12:53 AM

A demo permit was filed today for 707 West Ave. Other permits for this address indicate that it is for a Cirrus Logic project, and it's across the street from their HQ. But it's apparently for a future project because the land use is changing from "office building" to "vacant".

The building to be demo'ed from Streetview:

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
A demo permit was filed today for 707 West Ave. Other permits for this address indicate that it is for a Cirrus Logic project, and it's across the street from their HQ. But it's apparently for a future project because the land use is changing from "office building" to "vacant".

Before Cirrus Logic bought that lot, I remember some rumblings about a residential tower. Most of it is not in a CVC. After they bought it, they had planned on an office building that I believe was only going to be a few stories tall. It would really under-utilize that location IMHO.

I'm puzzled as to why they'd change the land use unless they plan to resell it...or that is what is needed to turn it into a parking lot? (Confused as to why they would keep the slab though.)

Old Posted Dec 4, 2016, 4:03 AM

The cranes for ZaZa and Aspen West Campus should have gone up this weekend. But I suspect the weather may have postponed those plans.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2016, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
Before Cirrus Logic bought that lot, I remember some rumblings about a residential tower.
I vaguely remember that, too. I wonder if it was this?

Taller buildings could be coming to W. Seventh in Austin

Quote:
Something may be up — or rather going up … possibly way up — on West Seventh Street and West Avenue.

Property owners on the 700 block of West Seventh Street are seeking Central Business District zoning, a designation that would remove restrictions on building height. Properties at 701 and 711 W. Seventh St., one of which now houses a yoga studio, filed the application Feb. 2, according to city records.

The land is subject to a building height limit of 60 feet. Lowa Ltd. owns the half-acre property at 701 W. Seventh St., and 711 West 7th Street Partnership owns the other, according to county records.
The applicant was Ron Thower of Thrower Design and I remember seeing it listed (no rendering) on the City's emerging projects page and then it finally disappeared.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 10:11 PM
Meh

http://www.statesman.com/business/pl...wAkBUJfxTurIM/

They're withdrawing plans for that Spicewood Springs Road hotel. I don't think we've heard the last of it, though.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
http://www.statesman.com/business/pl...wAkBUJfxTurIM/

They're withdrawing plans for that Spicewood Springs Road hotel. I don't think we've heard the last of it, though.
Agreed.

"Kahn said if the neighbors are “reasonable” he could file to build a smaller hotel, “or if they’re unreasonable, I could file (to build) the same project – or a larger one.”"

Absent the city immediately annexing the area, something will get built (as being ETJ gives the owner/developer the balance of power).

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithlua View Post
Google made a big update to the Earth timelapse website recently.

Main link:
https://earthengine.google.com/timelapse/

This is cool

Old Posted Dec 8, 2016, 2:51 PM

A new Kimber Modern motel is planned for SoCo - by Gueros.

Statesman article: http://www.mystatesman.com/business/...ef=cbTopWidget

Rendering from the article:

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 8:31 AM

From the Austin Business Journal the other day:

Riverside Drive heating up: 67 buildings on 66 acres change hands in up-and-coming part of Austin

Quote:
Presidium Group LLC continues its penetration in the Riverside Drive corridor with the acquisition of two more student-housing projects — University Estates and University Village, which encompass 67 buildings on 66 acres.

That’s some prime real estate in an area that is emerging as one of the city’s hottest markets, given its close access to downtown Austin, the University of Texas and as the primary route to Austin-Bergstrom International Airport. Oracle Corp. is building a huge campus nearby.

[SNIP]

It’s uncertain whether there are restrictions concerning potential redevelopment of the properties. The Riverside Drive corridor has provided numerous housing options for University of Texas students for the past decade or more. A shuttle is provided for students living in the area where rental rates have been substantially lower compared to West Campus options.

Presidium has been extremely active in Austin during the past five years. The company was formed in Dallas but now has Austin offices as well.

The company plans to develop The Edison at 4711 E. Riverside Drive near the intersection with South Pleasant Valley Road. Signs have been up for months, but no construction activity has been apparent. A spokeswoman for Presidium said the company recently obtained construction financing for The Edison and expects to break ground in the first quarter of 2017.
Here's the rendering for The Edison

Source Presidium Development

Old Posted Dec 12, 2016, 1:24 AM

The new Kimber Modern motel is going where Vulcan Video was located. The Vulcan building has already been demolish as seen in Streetview:

Here's a better and more renderings:

http://makerarchitects.com/elizabeth-hotel

Old Posted Dec 12, 2016, 2:45 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Speaking of Vulcan, their new store is now open in the old Southwood shopping center litterally just blocks from my home. It's larger than their old location.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2016, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Speaking of Vulcan, their new store is now open in the old Southwood shopping center litterally just blocks from my home. It's larger than their old location.
That's really good to hear. Most "iconic" local businesses just seem to disappear after their landlord sells. I hope Parts and Labour just down the street being replaced by the Magdalena Hotel and mixed use project can find a decent place to relocate.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin