HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 5:33 PM

http://westenddumplings.blogspot.ca/...s-part_30.html

This blog about Airport history mentions that sometime after the old terminal opened they did renovations including adding escalators (that were not there originally). And:

The courtyards and original observation deck that acted to bring in more natural light and display public art were eventually filled in to create more office space. Added security requirements further cut off the front of the building from the rear.

This site has some great pics of the old terminal. Alas, none of the observation deck

http://wbi.lib.umanitoba.ca/Winnipeg...ng.jsp?id=1291

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 5:46 PM

At the old Terminal, international arrivals was downstairs. But in this photo, where I remember stairs going down, there is no stairs and, instead, a baggage carousel.

Was the "basement" added later? Or am I nuts?

http://wbi.lib.umanitoba.ca/Winnipeg...686&size=large

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
At the old Terminal, international arrivals was downstairs. But in this photo, where I remember stairs going down, there is no stairs and, instead, a baggage carousel.

I remember it the same as you do. Wasn't there an elevator where the guy is watching TV on the far right of the photo?

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post

The basement was added later. I'm not 100% certain but I'm pretty sure it was part of the mid-1980s renovation and expansion (when the building was extended N/S and they put in the baggage carousels that you remember) which I think was really the only such major project carried out to the old terminal.

As I recall, the basement area was pretty lame and did not really match the rest of the terminal's aesthetics. It was kind of a crappy way to enter Winnipeg, although that said, the current international arrivals area is also not as nice as domestic arrivals.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 3:43 PM

A few photos posted in the Historical Report for the original All Saints Anglican church - it's now at the northwest corner of Osborne and Broadway but was originally located on the northeast corner, when Osborne didn't go any further north than Broadway. Interesting to see how that corner looked in the 1890s.

Last edited by EndoftheBeginning; Jan 4, 2018 at 3:47 PM.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 3:56 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

There is a decent observation room in the aviation museum.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndoftheBeginning View Post
A few photos posted in the Historical Report for the original All Saints Anglican church - it's now at the northeast corner of Osborne and Broadway but was originally located on the northeast corner, when Osborne didn't go any further north than Broadway. Interesting to see how that corner looked in the 1890s.
Thanks for posting this! I've never seen the fire insurance map showing the old All Saints church in relation to the Osborne St. North alignment. Crazy that until the 1920s, all traffic coming across the Osborne Bridge to Portage Avenue would have had to take a right on Broadway then up Kennedy. Streetcars would have gone down Broadway and then north on Main.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 12:46 AM
surely you agree with me

Those are amazing images. I’m working with them to build a residential development on their property and have some amazing original hand drawings of the church. Traci g paper sketches of elevations, light fixtures. Everything. Every thought the architect had.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 1:09 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Those are amazing images. I’m working with them to build a residential development on their property and have some amazing original hand drawings of the church. Traci g paper sketches of elevations, light fixtures. Everything. Every thought the architect had.
sounds delisiouly geeky
if u find a way to u should totaly share the stuff with the world to draw attention to the place sharing the history of the architect to u

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 4:43 PM
surely you agree with me

Great idea Adrian.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 4:40 AM
BANNED

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 3:10 PM
What could go wrong?

Wow, that is awesome. I have never seen an u/c pic of the Richardson Building at such an advanced stage. Super cool.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 4:58 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

City's Appearance - Greater Winnipeg
ca. 1948 by the 'Metropolitan Planning Committee'.

Pg. 5 (PDF) has a photo of 269 Main St., formerly known as the 'Dominion Government Building / Federal Building'. Criticizes it for ... "Lack of a spacious site detracts from the appearance of this government building."

http://winnipeginfocus.winnipeg.ca/u...rance_1948.pdf

That could be interpreted as the writer likes "campus" style government buildings, like the NRCs built in the 1980s or Revenue Canada Processing Centre post modernist "wall" in Transcona.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 5:03 PM

City's Appearance - Greater Winnipeg
ca. 1948 by the 'Metropolitan Planning Committee'.

Pg. 5 (PDF) has a photo of 269 Main St., formerly known as the 'Dominion Public Building / Federal Building'. Criticizes it for ... "Lack of a spacious site detracts from the appearance of this government building."

"The Federal Building covers almost the entire site, providing little off-street parking space. Surrounding buildings cut off the view of this structure, which could have been developed into a notable city landmark had it been located on a larger site, with appropriate landscaping. The building blocks the eastern end of Graham Avenue, creating an indirect connection to Water Avenue, and is not readily accessible from the main business district, because it is necessary to make a left turn through traffic to reach the east side of Main Street from either Portage Avenue or Main Street north."

At the present time, City of Winnipeg departments are severely crowded and in urgent need of expanded accommodation. Offices are scattered in various buildings because the City Hall is not large enough to provide necessary space. The present City Hall has served the city for over sixty years and should be replaced with a new building which will be large enough to accommodate all departments. This new building could form the core of a civic centre, providing office space for all city departments, including police headquarters, school board and parks board offices. Offices should be concentrated in one section which is designed as an efficient office structure, rather than scattered about as appendages to other functional sections. The centre should include facilities for co~ity activities, including a museum, art gallery and library; and facilities for recreation activities, unless they are provided in connection with some other development such as an Exhibition site.

http://winnipeginfocus.winnipeg.ca/u...rance_1948.pdf

That could be interpreted as the writer likes "campus" style government buildings, like the NRCs built in the 1980s or Revenue Canada Processing Centre post modernist "wall" in Transcona.

Last edited by LilZebra; Nov 15, 2017 at 5:18 PM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 5:07 PM
Ignore these four words.

^ Very interesting document and excellent old photos. Thanks.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 5:23 PM

Yeah, I wish CoW would put on the Internet more like these old documents. The photos are nice, and anyone can go to NewspaperArchive.com and search on various city issues of the day... But I love government reports. It gives context to what people were thinking at the time.

More please.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 6:05 PM

^ Fascinating stuff, thanks Zebra.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
I miss the lights crossing over the street like that.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 7:25 PM

Anybody have an update on the Fortune/Macdonald restoration?

Does anyone know what's happening with the Fortune/Macdonald restoration? It seems to have stalled.
Maybe the strange bricked -in windows on the back of the Macdonald are changing the developer's plans?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 7:28 PM

^ Good question, I was wondering the same thing myself. I was expecting a dramatic unveiling of a totally refreshed façade, but it's just repointed bricks and some new windows, with the same old shabby storefronts.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan