HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 7:49 PM

^ Yeah, I don't think they expected anyone in Seattle to recognize a retired CFL offensive lineman. He's a well spoken, well dressed, good looking local businessman so it made sense to choose him as the spokesman.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 4:54 PM

Solid little pitch. Video a little lame but whatever, not bad. The full proposal was good though.

Unfortunately, it still relies too much on "standard Winnipegisms"... it could be a bit more creative in presenting its options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
They did, but they said WAA would add those flights... but that's not up to them, so it's kind of a stretch to say that.
Considering SF and Silicon Valley, it would be an easy guarantee to promise direct flights to California or Seattle, and New York.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 3:01 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

More Office Automation

Video Link

Re: increased automation in offices is leading to increased layoffs as computerization takes over more of the document management workflow.

So is this what Great West Life and other companies mean when they claim office jobs are more automated so they don't need as many staff?

The video is fo inFORM Decisions' inFORM (for IBM i / AS/400 midrange comuter).

To compare, starting around 2006 our office automated Incoming Faxes (fax server) and had Mailroom scan in postal correspondence, then that was put into a document management system and everyone just sat at thir desks scrolling to find an open (not yet done) correspondence to work on. Now with this "advance" in technology via OCR, I can see the need for fewer people to "handle" correspondence in an office.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 8:07 PM

Reign Nightclub had their final night last night. They were pretty busy today tearing everything out. The hotel is slated to close shortly (I was told mid Nov) as it was sold. Prime piece of land. Ill assume condos?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 1:05 PM

Standrad Aero (3800 emps 1400 based in YWG) just bought Vector Aerospace (2200'ish emps). it was reported in the news a few months ago, but it's now finalized

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 4:56 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
I dont think the point was that Obby was meant to be a celebrity spokesperson. He's a local athlete, small business owner and entrepreneur. Probably doesnt hurt that he's young, good looking and shows our multiculturalism and diversity.
How could one person show multiculturalism and diversity? Maybe he’s all we’ve got.

I liked it but why not go out and campaign for some other company’s attention while all the competition is fighting over Amazon?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 5:25 PM

from FreePress - U.S. tech firm picks city for head office

A U.S. firm that provides technology solutions to help simplify and speed up the handling of automobile collision repair claims has chosen Winnipeg as the site for its new Canadian head office.

San Diego-based Mitchell International Inc. processes tens of millions of electronic transactions per month for more than 300 insurance companies and more than 30,000 collision repair centres in North America and Europe.

Although it has been working with Manitoba Public Insurance (MPI) and its accredited collision repair centres for more than 25 years, the company has never had an office here or in any of the other Canadian province.

But on Thursday, the company’s president and CEO, Alex Sun, was in Winnipeg to announce the firm is setting up a new Canadian headquarters in leased space in the MPI building at 420 Pembina Hwy.

"We chose to establish our offices in Winnipeg to leverage the strong collaboration between Mitchell and Manitoba Public Insurance in developing new solutions to support the rapid advancements in vehicle technology," Sun said.

"Their strategic location and the strong economy means we can provide increased services to customers in Manitoba and across other growing Canadian regions as well."

He said the Winnipeg office will start with a staff "in the mid teens," with the initial plan to grow that to about 23 employees as its Canadian business volumes grow.

He said it’s difficult to predict how quickly the workforce will grow, or how big it ultimately could get.

"It’s very dynamic, but I imagine it will grow quite a bit over the next three to five years. And given the partnership we have with MPI and the great geographic location of Winnipeg in Canada... I would say the bulk of them (the new Canadian jobs) will be here," he said

He said most of the hires so far are from Manitoba, and he expects that also will be the case going forward. The kinds of people hired so far include customer service and sales engineers, training personnel and project managers.

The kinds of software solutions Mitchell provides include the types of repairs needed, how the repairs should be done and cost estimates. It also provides software to speed up the processing of personal injury claims arising from auto accidents or workplace mishaps.

MPI president and CEO Dan Guimond said having a physical presence in Winnipeg will enable Mitchell to provide more timely support to MPI and local collision repair shops. He noted vehicles are becoming increasingly complex in terms of how they’re built and the technologies they use.

"Having you working so closely with us on these important issues will benefit both of our organizations as well as our customers," he said.

Manitoba Crown Services Minister Cliff Cullen said Mitchell’s decision to locate its Canadian headquarters in Winnipeg is a show of faith in Manitoba as a place to invest and to grow a business.

"I hope this will be a good place for you to seek alternative business through our neighbours to the east and west and to the south as well," he said.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 12:14 AM

Today while busing it along east Broadway I saw a HUGE Collliers For Lease sign just above The Fyxx sign on the building called Centennial House.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
Today while busing it along east Broadway I saw a HUGE Collliers For Lease sign just above The Fyxx sign on the building called Centennial House.
It's not the Fyxx that's closing.

The ground-floor office/retail that's becoming available (in August 2018) is the Diabetes Association offices. (There's also lots of other office space available in the upper floors).

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 1:35 AM

^Ya that went up a couple weeks ago. It's offensively large, especially for an area that isn't just a blank wall. Isn't there actually rules about sign size downtown? I'd imagine it breaks them, lol.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 3:16 AM

broadway office buildings may need to join the office --> residential conversion bandwagon. something new needs to happen on that sleepy street. once revenue Canada leaves that building for 360 main next year, that'll be another huge hole to fill. broadway needs a new "raison d'etre".

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 4:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
broadway office buildings may need to join the office --> residential conversion bandwagon. something new needs to happen on that sleepy street. once revenue Canada leaves that building for 360 main next year, that'll be another huge hole to fill. broadway needs a new "raison d'etre".
I'm not worried about it. Residential conversions there will be easy enough, and the "bones" of the street are generally fabulous. Relative to most places in Winnipeg, relatively few empty parking lots, and lots of continuous streetscape. Wide sidewalks that make for easy patio installations. The newer stuff along that stretch (Fools & Horses, Oh Doughnuts) is pretty good. Feels more like a "real city" than most places in Winnipeg (e.g., intersections with actual multi-story buildings on all four corners).

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
What?

That is practically a "new" building at Donald - Broadway...Built in '93, the year that Jean Chretien became PM.

And now you're saying they're movin' out?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 3:08 PM

Quote:
What?

That is practically a "new" building at Donald - Broadway...Built in '93, the year that Jean Chretien became PM.

That comes as a surprise to me too.

I'd be pretty surprised if that building was converted to residential... it's still fairly modern as far as office buildings in this city go.

I think Broadway's vibe could change dramatically with the construction of two or three new buildings that interact well with the street (which is definitely not the CRA building, what with the parking lot it has right at Broadway and Donald).

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 7:13 PM

Quote:
What?

not as quickly moving out as I remember reading, but still happening..
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...412117423.html

broadway definitely is the most coherent strip downtown. I just wish it would have the odd refresh here and there like the rest of downtown is seeing. heck, the new sculpture on broadway intended to invigorate the strip a bit isn't even consistently lit anymore at night and they never even turned the fountain on at Donald street this summer. with the provincial government contracting in every sense, I only see more vacancies occurring. I do like that they installed floodlights on the land titles building. I was always at a loss on why the beautiful provincial gov. buidings on that side aren't lit-up at night. hopefully the law courts do the same

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 7:47 PM

CN was recently in the news about a hiring blitz. It was nice to see at the start of the Associated Press article WINNIPEG/MONTREAL then it go on to say they are in the process of potentially hiring thousands of new employees. with Winnipeg being their engineer training hub, I'm guessing that new best western on regent is gonna be busy once it is built!

Last edited by Jeff; Nov 20, 2017 at 7:59 PM.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 12:25 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

cn built the school a few yrs ago already

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 12:34 AM

My friend at CN said they're going to be building company-owned residential buildings there because they're getting sick of paying ridiculous prices to house all the out of town trainees at the CanadInns there.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
My friend at CN said they're going to be building company-owned residential buildings there because they're getting sick of paying ridiculous prices to house all the out of town trainees at the CanadInns there.
they house them in hotels by airport too as I constantly see the CN buses transporting people from them. they don't care about travel distance i guess, it's where ever they can get the best rate.

i must say, kudos to CN, that training building looks really sharp from Pandora for an "industrial area"

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 2:40 PM

^ I've seen the CN buses at downtown hotels too. Considering the scale at which CN brings people into town for training, it probably makes good sense to build a residence closer to their facility.

And I agree, it's a pretty nice looking facility. Definitely nicer than what you'd envision when you think "Transcona" and "industrial park"

Akman.ca

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan