HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 2:12 PM

Obviously it's an unscientific survey. Sacramento ranks pretty low on tourist totem pole and the one place they most likely to visit is Old Sacramento which in no way represents the average Sacramentan. But I imagine most of the readers/responders haven't even visited Sacramento and are therefore going on reputation rather than first hand knowledge.

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 12:58 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Sacramento Public Market / Farmers Market

Has there been any news or progress on developing a Public Market in Sacramento? I find it hard to believe the city touts itself as the "farm to fork capital" and yet it still doesn't have a permanent central gathering spot.

I still think a temporary market at the former Greyhound station on L street would make a great interim Market until the city finds a more permanent solution. Maybe the R street corridor will provide a permanent location...?

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 4:42 PM
Hindrance to Development

We had one from the 1920s until the early 1970s, now it's the lobby of the Sheraton on J Street. There was also an attempt to create a "public market" along the Old Sacramento waterfront in the 1990s, but it didn't go over well and other than one or two vendors there are no remnants of it. The persistence of our weekly farmer's markets makes for a good substitute, though, distributed into neighborhoods.

The Greyhound depot on L would make a great medium-sized market building to serve downtown residents, assuming that enough housing gets built in the CBD to justify something more robust than a corner bodega. There is a Raley's going into the R Street corridor between 9th and 10th, a new "515" concept they're positioning as an "urban market."

The problem with trying to promote a single "central permanent gathering spot" for a public market in Sacramento is the question of how to get people there--in a low density region like ours, that means cars, and parking lots in the central city are a deal breaker. As it turns out, it's tough for a metro region of 2 million people to come together in a small place unless there is plentiful parking. That said, there is room for a similar concept in plenty of places--the Greyhound depot is great for a downtown-specific market, but if you wanted to go grander, you could do it in parts of the Sacramento Valley Station depot, or the Southern Pacific shops buildings--one of the previous Shops developers did a pop-up "public market" in the Paint Shop a decade ago that people seemed to enjoy. That might be the closest equivalent to a San Francisco Ferry Building style public market, but it will still depend on getting people there, and don't count on big free parking lots in the Railyards, ever.

The "farm-to-fork capital" thing is and always has been a restaurant-marketing scheme, it's not really based on anything different from what every other city in the country calls "Farm-to-Table" or "locavore" movement, but we use "farm to fork" because a local marketing firm copyrighted it. We're the "Farm-to-Fork Capital" because, and only because, anyone else who uses it (without paying a licensing fee) gets a sternly worded cease-and-desist letter.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTownAndy View Post
I just noticed the federal courthouse is lit up tonight. I'm assuming it's for the MLS visit since "they" did that last time as well. It makes such a difference on the skyline. I know most of these are gov't buildings, does anyone have any idea who we could petition to have these lit all of the time? Wishful thinking, but thought I would ask.
They should have been on July 4th.
Yes would like to see them on more at least weekend and holidays.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 6:15 AM

When MLS made their scouting visit, Matsui Courthouse AND 1000 I Street (Cal EPA - yes it has crown lights, albeit it looks like strung holiday lights) AND the Ziggurat across the river were all lit. Made an astounding addition to the nighttime skyline. Jumped in my car and drove into downtown from several angles - Tower Bridge, I-5 north and south, I Street Bridge, and 160 into 12th Street. Next time - cross your fingers - I'll take pics.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 2:47 PM
Kodachrome

The comments show no love... but there are a few that get it.

Bay Area residents are flooding Sacramento. What's it really like living there?
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...#photo-5354694
By Michelle Robertson and and Alix Martichoux, SFGATE Updated 9:56 am, Monday, June 26, 2017

SFGATE is exploring how people's lives change after leaving the Bay Area, for better or for worse, in a new series. Today we're focusing on those who have relocated to Sacramento. We'll explore other relocation areas in future articles, so follow SFGATE for more.

“I lived in a Victorian, four blocks from work, one block from a grocery store and next door to a wine shop and bar,” said Briana Mullen of her first room in midtown Sacramento.

Mullen spent the first 22 years of her life in the Bay Area, having grown up in Concord before attending UC Berkeley. Upon graduation, she moved to Sacramento for a job in the state superintendent’s office.
“Everyone at Berkeley was really skeptical of the move,” she said.

Read more here

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 8:16 PM
Here we stAy

Saw that one when it was first published. Decent takes from those that were interviewed, and at least for our sake the few that did add their negative comments won't risk coming here any time soon.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 3:41 PM
Kodachrome

Yes, I also saw back in June. I posted this to give this sub-forum a pulse. The idea of
merging low activity sub-forums into the regional forums is being discussed again… with
so few contributors here, I can see the Sac sub-forum threads getting trimmed back
and merged into the Pacific West forum.

Last edited by innov8; Aug 10, 2017 at 4:15 PM.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 3:46 AM

Has anyone noticed the new blinking aircraft warning lights atop the new Kings Klimpton Hotel (they're very bright)? I can see them from where I get off of I-5 at Arena Blvd when I head home from my late shift at Sac airport.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 5:41 AM

In addition to Klimpton's aircraft lighting, the top floor is now brightly lit. It's actually not quite a crown, just the building's rooftop. But it is a substantial addition to the skyline.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 4:11 PM

Cathedral Square?

Does anyone know what is going on with the former Cathedral Square property at 11th and J Streets? I see the a request to extend entitlements is under consideration. Did the property get sold? Is there an active proposal for the site?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 3:02 AM
Hindrance to Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieler View Post
Does anyone know what is going on with the former Cathedral Square property at 11th and J Streets? I see the a request to extend entitlements is under consideration. Did the property get sold? Is there an active proposal for the site?
No, like the Metropolitan, this is just a renewal of exactly the same entitlements, so the project won't die entirely, but will continue as a rotting zombie entitlement, eating people's brains.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 8:09 PM
Here we stAy

California APA chapter is having the annual conference in town this weekend through Tuesday. Already saw a walking tour around R and 15th Streets this morning. Good timing with the farm-to-fork event on Capitol Mall today too.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 7:36 PM

Recent office market trends suggest new construction is on the horizon

Key points:
Quote:
1) With the growth in rents, speculative construction could return in the more attractive submarkets, like downtown Sacramento and Roseville, in the next couple years.
2) ...Vacancy, at just under 14 percent, is near the 10-to-12 percent figure considered a balanced market. Among class A properties, the vacancy is only 8 percent.
3) One of the biggest obstructions to new deals is the cost of tenant improvements, reflecting overall cost increases for materials and labor in construction... such improvements now cost $60 to $65 per square foot.
Anybody think this could mean Vanir tower can be on the horizon? Or another new office high rise? Or just hype from the BizJournal?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 7:07 AM

^ I do hope so YoloNative

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 7:33 PM

This might be off-topic but I watched the film, "Lady Bird," yesterday. It is an excellent film that takes place in Sacramento around 2002-03. There are some nice scenes from Sacramento, including the American river, the Tower theater, etc...

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 9:11 PM

Quote:
This might be off-topic but I watched the film, "Lady Bird," yesterday. It is an excellent film that takes place in Sacramento around 2002-03. There are some nice scenes from Sacramento, including the American river, the Tower theater, etc...
Haven't been to the movies lately however this sounds like a good one.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 9:14 PM

Just curious just wondering if some of think that Sacramento would do well with a NHL team? I believe that Sac might-heck I think there's support for one here.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2017, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleScott View Post
Just curious just wondering if some of think that Sacramento would do well with a NHL team? I believe that Sac might-heck I think there's support for one here.
Yes, I do think NHL would do well and be a great addition for our city. I've heard from a friend that works for the Stockton Heat that there have been rumblings of an AHL team (NHL minor league) coming to Sacramento. Can't remember which team or parent team the whispers were about.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2017, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolonative View Post
Recent office market trends suggest new construction is on the horizon

Key points:

Anybody think this could mean Vanir tower can be on the horizon? Or another new office high rise? Or just hype from the BizJournal?
Well the state is building an 11-story and a 20-story building, so yes - it's on the horizon. Vanir needs to find an anchor tenant. Heck, they haven't even gone to the planning commission yet. Who knows what's up with them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area