HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Kildonan Place mall
That is in Transcona not Winnipeg.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
That is in Transcona not Winnipeg.
Actually looking at the old city map (1967) I have here at home depending on the actual location The Arby's could have been in North Kildonan as the border of NK and Transcona ran through the Kildonan Place footprint .

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
Red Ember at the Common looks amazing! I'm excited to see what Scott Bagshaw's new spot there is like.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 4:33 AM

Langside Grocery is open. No website, just instagram. Anyone tried it? Looks like a cool room.

https://www.instagram.com/langsidegrocery/

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 5:59 PM

^Just saw this on The Facebook today:

http://www.pegcitygrub.com/read,post...ar-aspirations

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 4:05 PM

So McPhillips Jollibee put up a "coming soon" banner on Winnipeg's worst kept secret.

That said, somehow I had missed this before but the location appears significantly larger than the Ellice location.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 4:55 PM

Quote:
So McPhillips Jollibee put up a "coming soon" banner on Winnipeg's worst kept secret.

That said, somehow I had missed this before but the location appears significantly larger than the Ellice location.
I think it's 5000 sf or so... nearly double the ellice location. Obviously it's the right spot to double up too.

Fit for Less is operational at Northgate and it looks like significant progress on demo/re-facing is being made.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 7:24 PM

I've heard amazing things about Fit4Less. Friends said it's a full service gym just like a Goodlife, they just essentially get the older equipment and it's not as "nicely decorated" – if you can even consider a GoodLife nice.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 3:06 PM

Jollibee

Quote:

The area near Northgate would be perfect for a larger location.
The area has a huge Filipino demographic.
The Ellice one is way to small.
The chicken is not bad. However, not my fave.... they only offer legs and thighs The fries are awful and the gravy is swamp water.
The mango peach pie is very good.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 11:30 AM

Since it was first announced that Jollibee was coming, I swore I would never eat there. I've gone to the Philippines many times and I always thought it was the worst fast-food chain in the country. if i wanted a burger, i'd go to McD or BK. If I wanted chicken, there was KFC. Residents probably loved Jollibee because they were probably used to the mediocre food and the fact that it was everywhere. People here flocked there because it was a familiar brand and it was nostalgic.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I've heard amazing things about Fit4Less. Friends said it's a full service gym just like a Goodlife, they just essentially get the older equipment and it's not as "nicely decorated" – if you can even consider a GoodLife nice.
They do a good job with their spaces, but sometimes they're a bit lame.

They don't always have squat racks and use smith machines instead (overpriced and worse replacement for the squat rack), and use alarms is someone accidentally drops a weight... some dumb Planet fitness emotional coddling/exclusion stuff.

Visited one in Toronto way back and thought it was disappointing that they essentially copy Planet Fitness rather than just build a good gym for less money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedtim View Post
Since it was first announced that Jollibee was coming, I swore I would never eat there. I've gone to the Philippines many times and I always thought it was the worst fast-food chain in the country. if i wanted a burger, i'd go to McD or BK. If I wanted chicken, there was KFC. Residents probably loved Jollibee because they were probably used to the mediocre food and the fact that it was everywhere. People here flocked there because it was a familiar brand and it was nostalgic.
Really? I stopped by the Jollibee's again a while back and it kicks KFC's ass. I also asked a lot of phillipino aquaintances what they thought, if it's just a "Timmies" type nostalgia that they enjoy or if they "love it".

They love it.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Langside Grocery is open. No website, just instagram. Anyone tried it? Looks like a cool room.

https://www.instagram.com/langsidegrocery/
A friend was just raving about it. Looks like it will give the north section of West Broadway a much needed boost!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 4:37 PM

Never heard anything about Harth opening, which I'm surprised about... apparently it opened in August. Heard it's absolutely incredible, made reservations for a few weeks from now. Same owners as Bellissimo.

https://www.harthwpg.com/

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 5:10 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Been hearing good things about St. James Burger on Ness.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 6:03 PM

St James Burger is the old Red Boot location. Saw the menu online recently and they have some different takes on burgers but nothing that seemed super exciting. Maybe it is just Winnipeg has far too many great, independent burger joints.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Never heard anything about Harth opening, which I'm surprised about... apparently it opened in August. Heard it's absolutely incredible, made reservations for a few weeks from now. Same owners as Bellissimo.

https://www.harthwpg.com/
It's awesome.

Winnipeg needs this, quality neighbourhood establishments serving amazing food.
Quote:
St James Burger is the old Red Boot location. Saw the menu online recently and they have some different takes on burgers but nothing that seemed super exciting. Maybe it is just Winnipeg has far too many great, independent burger joints.
So what are the super good independent joints that stand out for creativity?

We have Nuburger

There are a bunch of others that are good, but don't they play the greasier, more traditional drive-in burger tune?

Obviously everyone comes out to play for Burger Week, but a lot of these aren't "Burger Places"

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 8:30 PM

^^ On the creativity side Market Burger, NuBurger and Tipsy Cow all play to a very similar type of experience.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 8:42 PM

^ Tipsy Cow gets good reviews, but their standard burger is in all reality barely distinguishable from a Wendy's Classic.

Let's face it, if you want an amazing burger, you're going to a place that's been around for decades and offers little flash, glamour or instagram appeal.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 8:54 PM

I have been to Market Burger twice and it was absolutely horrendous both times. The food was awful, service was horrifically slow. Went to Tipsy Cow for burger week, it was good but nothing special, and the drink list and atmosphere were really weird. It's like they couldn't decide if they were gonna be a diner or restaurant, so it's some weird bastardized hybrid.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Tipsy Cow gets good reviews, but their standard burger is in all reality barely distinguishable from a Wendy's Classic.

Let's face it, if you want an amazing burger, you're going to a place that's been around for decades and offers little flash, glamour or instagram appeal.
like mrs mikes

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan