HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

609 Main at Texas in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Houston Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Houston Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 14, 2013, 9:20 PM

from HAIF...

"I spoke with a guy who is a structural engineer on this project, he did not disclose the height but did tell me the building will be 52 stories."

that means the building will be increased in height by about 25%.. if they increase the proportions of the crown 25% too the crown will be 12 stories, meaning this will end up being ~64 floors and 900'.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2013, 10:06 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

I highly doubt they would double - or even increase - the height of the crown. That just wouldn't make sense - architecturally or financially. But even with, say, a 6 story crown and 52 stories (averaging 13 ft. with a 18 ft. 1st floor), you're looking at something in the range of 750-775 ft., which will make a significant impact on the skyline. If they go for higher floor heights for LEED status, say 15 ft.), you gain another hundred feet. Either way, it's kind of a big deal.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jul 14, 2013, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
I highly doubt they would double - or even increase - the height of the crown. That just wouldn't make sense - architecturally or financially. But even with, say, a 6 story crown and 52 stories (averaging 13 ft. with a 18 ft. 1st floor), you're looking at something in the range of 750-775 ft., which will make a significant impact on the skyline. If they go for higher floor heights for LEED status, say 15 ft.), you gain another hundred feet. Either way, it's kind of a big deal.
the crown is already 9 stories, per the 41 floor design, so 12 stories would only be a 25% increase in proportions, to go with the 25% increase in height of the building. but your probably right. if they arent making this any wider im not sure i see the point in making the crown much taller because it would change the slope of the roof. in which case the building will be 61 floors. which would still be the 4th tallest building in the city. it will definitely be over 800'. Hines said they are building this to spec so i would assume LEED status will be included? Hines last tower was LEED.

9 story crown on the 41 story plans.

Last edited by cloud713; Jul 14, 2013 at 11:10 PM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2013, 11:14 PM
Meh

I don't think they would increase the crown unless the building went through a major design change. The reason for the increase in the number of floors is for an increased amount of office space. They wouldn't make any more money or make the building any more profitable by increasing the crown height. Now the building could go through a major design change in which case a change of height in the crown might happen. Also I think what you're saying is the crown does have some usable office floors in it, so it's not just mechanical levels which is what most crowns contain. Still, mechanical levels are not counted officially by developers since those areas are off limits to the public. The Austonian for instance in Austin has 56 floors of usable public floors. Above that there are 3 more mechanical floors for a total of 59 floors above the street. But the building has always been marketed as a 56-story building.

Judging from the renderings we've seen of the building so far, I'd say the current design looks to be around 630 feet tall. 25% of 630 feet is 157.5 feet. So adding that to the 630 feet would be 787.5 feet.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I don't think they would increase the crown unless the building went through a major design change. The reason for the increase in the number of floors is for an increased amount of office space. They wouldn't make any more money or make the building any more profitable by increasing the crown height. Now the building could go through a major design change in which case a change of height in the crown might happen. Also I think what you're saying is the crown does have some usable office floors in it, so it's not just mechanical levels which is what most crowns contain. Still, mechanical levels are not counted officially by developers since those areas are off limits to the public. The Austonian for instance in Austin has 56 floors of usable public floors. Above that there are 3 more mechanical floors for a total of 59 floors above the street. But the building has always been marketed as a 56-story building.

Judging from the renderings we've seen of the building so far, I'd say the current design looks to be around 630 feet tall. 25% of 630 feet is 157.5 feet. So adding that to the 630 feet would be 787.5 feet.
i agree it will still be a "52 story building" im just saying it will be the height of a 61 story building. 787 feet is less than 13 feet per floor. arent most new office buildings taller than that? you may be right with the height, im just hoping it will be taller. but if Colemonkee is anywhere close with his 15' per floor assumptions for LEED buildings that could put this at 900'.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 12:56 AM
Meh

Well it probably wouldn't be the height of a 61-story building. For starters, floor heights are different from building to building depending on if it's office, hotel or residential, if it has above ground parking within the tower, and other things.

Also a 61-story building would still likely have a few additional levels for mechanical uses.

13 feet per floor seems about right, but there probably is some varying numbers.. I'm not sure how the LEED program would affect the height. I guess it could.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstontx
49 floors with two levels of parking below grade. 683' 11" to level 49, to the top of the crown it is 756' 9", and from the roof to the top of the crown it is 59' 11".
http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/h...r-be/?p=428936

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 10:48 PM

Nice.

757 feet would make it the 6th tallest in the city and 5th tallest downtown!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 6:53 PM

I'm really excited for Houston with all the latest proposals - I used to visit Houston quite a bit when my Aunt and Uncle lived there in the 70's & '80's when the skyline was exploding! Since that time I have always kept up with all the current growth - when is 609 Main supposed to break ground?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 9:27 PM
Meh

Nice. 5th tallest in Houston and the 9th tallest in Texas.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 11:04 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
Nice.

757 feet would make it the 6th tallest in the city and 5th tallest downtown!
This would be about one foot taller than Enterprise Plaza. Kewl

-sb

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 5:56 PM

Start Date?

When does this tower break ground? 2nd Quarter 2014?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 11:49 PM

i believe first or second quarter of 2014 was the plan, but i did read on another forum that they Bisnow supposably said they might wait until it was 30-50% preleased.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 12:13 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Groundbreaking

" Hines has not ruled out the possibility that the new building could surpass the 75-story JP Morgan Chase Tower in height, although many would be surprised at that announcement.

Hines is expected to break ground before Houston’s other proposed skyscrapers: the Market Square area building by Linbeck/Essex/Stream; the Skanska project at 811 Rusk; or the proposed Chevron building at 1600 Louisiana.

“We are moving full speed ahead on design and expect to break ground first quarter of 2014,” Mooz said.

Source: http://realtynewsreport.com/2013/07/...ntown-houston/

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 1:20 AM

well it looks like the 49 story figure is accurate. someone on HAIF just posted blue prints of the building.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 5:16 AM

900 feet would be perfect. This is mouthwatering.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 5:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown_fella View Post
900 feet would be perfect. This is mouthwatering.
i agree, it would of been awesome and really had an impact on the skyline. 757' is pretty nice too though and definitely better than however tall the 41 story version would of been.. it should stand out nicely from most angles. crazy a building this tall hasnt been built in Houston since 1987. Houston is really booming with potentially 3 new towers over 700'.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 9:59 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud713 View Post
i agree, it would of been awesome and really had an impact on the skyline. 757' is pretty nice too though and definitely better than however tall the 41 story version would of been.. it should stand out nicely from most angles. crazy a building this tall hasnt been built in Houston since 1987. Houston is really booming with potentially 3 new towers over 700'.
These are good times for the great state of Texas. Coming back from the 2008 mess.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 10:07 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Some notes on it:

A stunning 41 story, 815,000 sf office tower soon to be situated in the heart of Downtown.

* 27, 500 sf floor plates.

* In building cafe/restaurant and a fitness center along with telecommunications facility.

Source: http://www.colvilloffice.com/colvill_new/609/home.html Official Site

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 6:06 PM
JoeCooper

Will it have a restaurant on the 41st floor? Silly question I know but I am really surprised that Houston has no observatories/restaurants being the 4th largest city in the US. I know the sister tower "Devon" has a restaurant on 49 and 50 so I am curious what will become of this. ^^

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive