HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Oct 14, 2008, 4:58 AM
Ex Houstonian

Cool Russellville AR, a real sketchup city

Hello peoples,

I wanted to make an editable model of Russellville because the only model of the town now is one that was made back in 1995 or so years ago out of cardboard and it sucks, well it doesnt suck, its just falling apart. I would love nothing more than to see downtown become a cool place to hang out and have a cup of coffee and chill with friends but as of now, its vastly vacant or is just full of lawyers offices which isnt chill. So I am making this model to show the mayor just what we can do to downtown to make it look nicer and entice businesses and maybe a coffee shop or icecream place into it.

Heres the model, I have spent many many hours on it so far. Measuring the buildings accurately takes forever with a broken tape measurer. It takes me about 8 hours to do each building and all in all there are about 64 historic buildings or so in downtown to do and all I have completed right now are 3 buildings. 3 others are almost done and ready to be added to the model although.

I didnt take this photo, but all other photos I have taken.

Unfinished Union Pacific train station.

Accuracy is the number one key with this replica. Any tips as to how to measure real buildings more accurately? All I have now is a crappy broken tape measurer so Im doing a lot of guesswork, but if this is going to be the model the city will use to improve downtown than I need it to be as accurate as possible. I am thinking about buying a laser measurer or something. Any other tips would be incredibly appreciated.

Last edited by photoLith; Dec 21, 2013 at 11:23 PM.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2008, 5:14 AM

Google earths meusering tape, ive found it accurate plus a little rounding and tada.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2008, 2:05 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin55 View Post
Google earths meusering tape, ive found it accurate plus a little rounding and tada.

Yeah that works for getting the width and length of the buildings but still cant get the height of them through that, or can you?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2008, 11:37 PM

You could use the pythagoram thereom...

Old Posted Oct 15, 2008, 11:57 PM

WOW! Nice job Photolitherland. Very nicely done. Its looking sweet, and you're progressing very quickly in Sketchup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin55 View Post
You could use the pythagoram thereom...
How so???

Old Posted Oct 16, 2008, 12:13 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

I hate math. Great job photo! If you have the permission from the city you could just ask the city to give you blueprints. Or get a signed paper from the mayor giving you permission to measure the height of buildings. Hope you do a good job and the mayor likes it then.

It's a nice cute town, you could do a lot of things to improve the area.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2008, 12:18 AM

Well, You could bring two yard sticks ( at miday so the movement of the sun wont distort the meusere or at night to,with treetlights since there static and dont move) and muesure the length of the shadow of the yardstick. Then muesure the length of the shadow of the building. you can use proportions, because you know say the yardstick's shadow is 6 feet. so thats a proportion. 3 is ofcourse the yardsticks actual hight.

3/6 (1/2)

and the shadow of the building is 30 feet so

3 X
- = -
6 30

then its easy, just solve for X. if 6=30 then you just can see that the buildings hieght is 15 feet. since most of the buildings youve modeled are ~3 stories it shouldent be hard.

Hard to believe im averaging a 32 in math ehh? hah, I love the pythagoram thereom. its the only thing I undersatnd. to bad we havent been using it since last year.

I never thought Id use this stuff in the real world.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2008, 12:49 AM

oh you meant for real life i thought you meant in Google Earth

Last edited by treras93; Oct 16, 2008 at 3:27 AM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2008, 1:13 AM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks0o01 View Post
I hate math. Great job photo! If you have the permission from the city you could just ask the city to give you blueprints. Or get a signed paper from the mayor giving you permission to measure the height of buildings. Hope you do a good job and the mayor likes it then.

It's a nice cute town, you could do a lot of things to improve the area.

Well this town has no blueprints for any of the buildings downtown. Hardly any record of their existance even exists, except for the fact that they are there.

Last edited by photoLith; Dec 21, 2013 at 11:23 PM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2008, 6:46 AM
Ex Houstonian

So Im trying to figure out the most annoying program ever created; Kerkythea.

I have one question right now, but Im sure I will have plenty more in the future but for right now I have this issue.

kerk render

sketchup export

Notice how in the kerkythea render, those two windows on the end of the buildings are green on the top, while in the sketchup model they are transparent like I wanted them to be. Also, in kerkythea, the windows are not transparent but opaque. How do you get them to be transparent like in sketchup and why is kerkythea coloring in random areas with colors that arent there in the sketchup model?

Please someone answer my question, it is imperative that I get good looking renders to show to the mayor and downtown historical commission in order to better this towns decaying downtown.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2008, 1:14 AM

Reverse the faces- right click the bad face and repaint it. You should do this to all the faces- it can be very time consuming if done improperly.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2008, 10:10 PM
Ex Houstonian

A new section finished. Only 38 buildings left to go!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2008, 5:40 AM
Desert Dweller

Looking good, great effort!

Old Posted Oct 29, 2008, 2:10 AM
Ex Houstonian

Another section of facades finished. These are my two favorite buildings downtown just because they are so small. It looks like someone went, what can we fit here? You would never see this kind of architecture today. Everything is big and open, but it has been proven that people like small secluded places like this. They have more of a feeling to them.

Any critiques would be greatly appreciated.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2008, 5:16 AM
Desert Dweller

Why arent you using textures anyways?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2008, 2:51 PM
Ex Houstonian

^^^
Because when viewed on sketchup they look terrible from far away. When you use brick it just looks like a bunch of white lines when viewed from a distance. They look good up close but otherwise, not so much.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2008, 7:41 AM
Kicking it Viking style..

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
Because when viewed on sketchup they look terrible from far away. When you use brick it just looks like a bunch of white lines when viewed from a distance. They look good up close but otherwise, not so much.
If you render it in Kerky then it should come out just fine

And with the details and pics you have you should be able to make it look reallu realistic ( but it will take a lt of work to texture everthing )

Anyway nice work

Old Posted Nov 6, 2008, 6:07 AM
Ex Houstonian

An update for you guys

using the textures really does make it look a hell of a lot better, what do you think?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2008, 6:23 PM
Ex Houstonian

Another shot of the slowly evolving downtown. It really takes a lot of work to get all the right angles and measurements. I had to search for months of maps called the Sanborn Maps and these are historic fire insurance maps. I finally found them in someones private collection and they help out a lot with the heights of the buildings and all that. Anyways, heres what it looks like now.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2008, 12:40 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Woah! That small brick textured building looks great. I don't get why you didn't from the start! You're an amazing photographer! I like seeing your Chicago pictures in the Spire/Trump threads. All your textures are yours right?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup