HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Dec 25, 2012, 11:55 PM

What features in a new camera to buy that can take night pictures outside, and obviously long distance shots without it becoming blurry?

Old Posted Dec 26, 2012, 2:33 AM
Look up, Waaaaaay up

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post
What features in a new camera to buy that can take night pictures outside, and obviously long distance shots without it becoming blurry?
Night shots - any DSLR on a tripod with VR / IS off.
Long shots - lens with built in VR / IS during the day.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2012, 3:18 AM

Tripod is obvious for stability.

The Olympus TG820 claims to cater and enhance dark shots, thinking of getting that one. With any camera taking city photo shots in the day is the only thing that's reliable.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2012, 1:26 PM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
A camera with clean high ISO capability plus IS will give you the ability to take a lot of night shots hand held. I've taken plenty of night shots with my 7D hand held - up to ISO 3200 the pictures are plenty useable, IMO. Full frame dSLRs can do ISO6400 or higher without needing noise reduction.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2013, 6:47 PM

Apparently this new camera takes 3D shots, and probably 3D videos too. It's too bad I won't be able to view them in 3D though!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 5:17 PM

Hey everyone, I am new to the world of dslr photography and in the market for a tripod. After spending approximately $700 in the past few weeks on the camera and other accessories, I would like to keep my budget under $100 for a tripod. I do understand that you get what you pay for and that there is no such thing as a cheap, lightweight and strong tripod, but can someone please recommend a good tripod for under $100.

I don't record many movies so I am basically just looking for it for stabilization of landscape and low light shots. After doing some research, I've found the Sony VCT-R640 on amazon for $49 and was thinking this might be a good choice based on reviews.

I am using a Nikon D3100 with the 18-55mm lens for now.

Thanks.

Last edited by J_Murphy; Jan 7, 2013 at 5:56 PM.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 5:47 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
Hey everyone, I am new to the world of dslr photography and in the market for a tripod. After spending approximately $700 in the past few weeks on the camera and other accessories, I would like to keep my budget under $100 for a tripod. I do understand that you get what you pay for and that there is no such thing as a cheap, lightweight and quality tripod, but can someone please recommend a good tripod for under $100.

I don't record many movies so I am basically just looking for it for stabilization of landscape and low light shots. After doing some research, I've found the Sony VCT-R640 on amazon for $49 and was thinking this might be a good choice based on reviews.

Thanks.
I would say for the most part, that should suffice.

From my use, I don't find a lot of benefit in plunking down a lot of money on a tripod unless you position the camera in unusual ways, say like how someformofhuman has in this thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=190268.

As long as the tripod is capable of handling the weight you give it and it is stable, you should be fine.

That said, I do have a $150 and a $100 (travel) Manfrotto tripods. Not top of the line, but the $150 is more than I need for sure.

Flickr®

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
I would say for the most part, that should suffice.

From my use, I don't find a lot of benefit in plunking down a lot of money on a tripod unless you position the camera in unusual ways, say like how someformofhuman has in this thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=190268.

As long as the tripod is capable of handling the weight you give it and it is stable, you should be fine.

That said, I do have a $150 and a $100 (travel) Manfrotto tripods. Not top of the line, but the $150 is more than I need for sure.
Thanks.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 6:25 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
Hey everyone, I am new to the world of dslr photography and in the market for a tripod. After spending approximately $700 in the past few weeks on the camera and other accessories, I would like to keep my budget under $100 for a tripod. I do understand that you get what you pay for and that there is no such thing as a cheap, lightweight and strong tripod, but can someone please recommend a good tripod for under $100.

Thanks.
Dude just go to bestbuy and get a sunpak. Buy the heaviest one they have. The heavier the more stable they are. You can get better rotating heads on the manfrotto options but you pay for that.

My Book

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 6:28 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Tripod is obvious for stability.

The Olympus TG820 claims to cater and enhance dark shots, thinking of getting that one. With any camera taking city photo shots in the day is the only thing that's reliable.
I would recommend that you get a sony rx100. It costs more then the olympus but has Zeiss optics and is super sharp. The zoom is pretty decent and would be a much nicer option.

RX100

But really if you want the best night photography you want something that you can adjust more carefully then most point and click cameras. Youre talking more about the DSLR zone.

My Book

Last edited by diskojoe; Jan 9, 2013 at 8:33 PM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskojoe View Post
Dude just go to bestbuy and get a sunpak. Buy the heaviest one they have. The heavier the more stable they are. You can get better rotating heads on the manfrotto options but you pay for that
Thanks for the advice, but I went out today and bought this one:

http://www.henrys.com/10148-HENRYS-H...OD-W-CASE.aspx

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 3:18 AM
So very tired...

So they made a doco about Vivian Maier...here's the trailer:

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 10:56 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulliver View Post
So they made a doco about Vivian Maier...here's the trailer:

Video Link
Interesting.

My Book

Old Posted Apr 1, 2013, 1:30 PM

dewE asked this question in my last thread,Im sure he'll get more responses here

"I'm still very slow at getting the settings/framing/focus etc when photographing people and if I'm in a bad area of a city, sometimes I get a bit gun-shy of flashing an expensive camera around.
Beside just using common sense, do any of you guys/girls on here take any precautions in this regards?"

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 5:36 PM

I have my settings ready, so I can take a shot quickly.

Obviously if you're in a sketchy area, you need to be aware of your surroundings. Don't put yourself in a situation where you can be cornered. If you see people eyeballing you, move along. Stay with people as much as possible. If people ask you to stop taking pictures or leave the area, don't argue with them. If somebody decides to mug you, then give up the camera and get out of there.

The important thing is to be confident and keep to yourself. Don't slink around looking scared. Don't draw attention to yourself. Don't interfere with people and they generally won't bother you.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 4:22 AM

It depends on exactly how sketchy the area is. You should definitely google the crime in that particular neighborhood first before going there if you aren't already familiar with it.

I use a Nikon D5100 that has swivel screen which really comes in handy for shooting in iffy areas known for robberies. That way you won't have to walk around with a big ass camera plastered to your face every few steps. People tend to not notice (or notice as quickly) when you're taking pics at waist level. Some might notice that you have a camera but they usually don't realize that they're having their picture taken. Also, I use a Sony Nex 5n that is a Micro 4/3 sized camera that also has a swivel screen. I prefer to use this one over the D5100 because of the size. It doesn't make you as much of a target for robbers as holding a full-sized DSLR does because would be thieves would more than likely think it's just a cheap point-and-shoot camera.

And to add to Flar's tip about already having the settings ready, if I plan on doing candid shots then I'll have my settings on Shutter Priority with a fast shutter speed and the autofocus points set to the tracking mode rather than a single point. This will help you get your shots in focus and usually exposed right if there's enough light in just a matter of seconds. Just take a peak down at the swiveled out screen to make sure they're within the frame, look away, and snap the pic. Don't worry about it being straight because that can be corrected later.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 2:09 AM
Old Fart Forumer

I'm sure this has probably been discussed before, but my old computer died, and I'm looking to download free photo editing program. Any suggestions?

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 10:37 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Ithacan View Post
I'm sure this has probably been discussed before, but my old computer died, and I'm looking to download free photo editing program. Any suggestions?
Try The Gimp, Ex-Ith... It's pretty good, in fact it's really good!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Apr 29, 2013, 2:53 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
Try The Gimp, Ex-Ith... It's pretty good, in fact it's really good!

Aaron (Glowrock)
Thanks for the tip Aaron.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 2:08 AM
Ex Houstonian

This is really pissing me, I recently refound my IR filter and have yet to find a good way to convert the photos into black and white and create incredible photos that are capable with IR. Lightroom 4 doesnt seem to be able to handle converting the IR to black and white very well. I really dont want to have to buy photoshop, thats insanely expensive and I dont have the money for that shit right now. Does anyone know of any software and or how to convert IR photos well in lightroom to look amazing? I cant seem to get the right highlights that I want and or the photos to look like well done IR. Ir can produce incredible black and whites and I need to do that, without freaking spending hundreds of dollars on damned photoshop.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography