HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Dec 17, 2007, 11:06 PM
Aimless Wanderer

Here's a recent aerial view of the new hospital site. Up to 4 cranes now!

Construction of the new North Bay Regional Health Centre began in March
2007. Since then, more than 11,000 cubic metres of concrete have been poured and all steel foundation piles (2,410 in total) have been installed. Work at the regional health centre continues to progress. As of November 2007:

- Structure in the north-east corner of the site has reached the roof level.
- Pile caps and foundations are in progress in the rest of the site.
- Mechanical and electrical rough-in and masonry works are in progress inside the erected structure.
- Four tower cranes are currently in use.
- Approximately 250 people are on the construction site.

Economic projections estimate that during the project's construction, more than $150 million in salaries will be paid. Spending in the area is expected to increase from an estimated $70 million to approximately $80 million for the purchase of supplies and services from local businesses.

The North Bay Regional Health Centre is a partnership between the North Bay General Hospital and the Northeast Mental Health Centre.

The new North Bay General Hospital will expand services to include a larger emergency department, a new consolidated ambulatory care centre and increased capacity in the Critical Care Unit, the Complex Continuing Care Unit and the Rehabilitation Unit as well as a new Acute Mental Health Unit. The new Northeast Mental Health Centre will be linked to the general hospital via a shared entrance and several shared common areas.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2008, 5:49 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Kenora to Sell KMTS to Bell
Thursday, 03 January 2008
http://netnewsledger.com/joomla/inde...2509&Itemid=64

The City of Kenora and Bell Aliant Regional Communications, Limited Partnership, a subsidiary of Bell Aliant Regional Communications Income Fund ("Bell Aliant") (TSX: BA.UN), announced today that they have entered into an agreement under which Bell Aliant will purchase the assets and business of Kenora Municipal Telephone System (KMTS). The acquisition price will be approximately $27 million.

"In an increasingly competitive industry, Bell Aliant has the necessary scale and resources to offer our customers access to the latest products, services and innovative technology," said KMTS General Manager Dennis McCaffrey.

"We understand the importance of KMTS to Kenora and look forward to building on the excellent foundation of service and value already in place for customers in this area," said Stephen Wetmore, President and Chief Executive Officer of Bell Aliant.

This acquisition is a natural fit for Bell Aliant, according to the company. Bell Aliant says "aligning with its strong focus on the needs of customers and communities".

Bell Aliant already serves customers, and is a strong community partner, in Jaffray Melick and other neighbouring areas of Kenora in Northern Ontario. Bell Aliant has committed to offer employment to all current KMTS staff, to ensure a seamless transition for its customers and to maintain a strong emphasis on sponsorship and investment in the community.

"City Council is pleased with the purchase proposal and believes it is in the best interests of Kenora and KMTS's customers and employees to accept this offer by Bell Aliant," stated Kenora Mayor Len Compton.

The proposed transaction is subject to final approval by Kenora's City Council following a public information meeting which will be held in Kenora on January 15, 2008. Once authorized, closing will be subject to customary terms and conditions, including regulatory approvals to be requested from Industry Canada and the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission.
They get pissed off at Thunder Bay for having TBayTel in the area, then they sell their phone company? Jeez. Now if Dryden will just sell its phone service, we'll be able to get back to unifying the region.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 9:13 PM
I am a typical

Local billboard company has cutting edge design feature
Tb News Source
Web Posted: 1/4/2008 3:49:42 PM

Companies that would like to use billboards to advertise can now choose a green option that doesn't use power from the electrical power grid.

The local company behind the new eco-friendly billboards is Sign Edge. Their new billboards are both solar and wind powered and are totally independent of the local power grid. One situated at the corner of Fort William and the Harbour Expressway is the second environmentally friendly billboard installed in the region by Sign Edge.

Production coordinator Rhys Koziy says the design is so efficient it can even be powered on cloudy and windless days.

''The efficiency of the system is designed so that we can go approximately 7 days with literally no light and the battery system will actually accommodate and power the sign for that period of time.'' Koziy says they plan to eventually convert all 80 signs they operate in the region over to the green powered model.

http://www.tbsource.com/localnews/index.asp?cid=103454

==

Tim Hortons on Cumberland is open, it has a slightly different layout than the other Tim Hortonses but it's still a Tim Hortons so don't bother going there cuz its crap. The Mr Print building on Cumberland is all gone, they're taking out the basement and it will be a parking lot by the spring but you'll have to go around the hydro station to get to the bus terminal. Skavs is pretty much cleaned up and will be parking soon, no word on the court house. Parts of the new Shopper's facade are being put on, it looks just like the faceless generic suburban shoppers we see all over town. Hopefully the one at the TBRH site will be original. Nothing new on the proposed shoppers at the site of the Holsum bakery on Algoma. I think that's it.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 12:42 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Cascades sale goes through, new startup slated for April
Tb News Source | Web Posted: 1/7/2008 7:36:41 PM
http://www.tbsource.com/Localnews/index.asp?cid=103514

Many people have been waiting for over a year to hear that the sale of Cascades Fine Paper Mill has gone through and the third time proved to be the charm.

The purchasing group held a news conference Monday to announce that a $1.5 million grant from the Northern Ontario Heritage fund helped finalize the deal to purchase the idled Cascades mill and their plans now are to restart operations over the next couple of months which could mean 300 people going back to work.

Thunder Bay Fine Papers group got the keys Monday and said the first order of business is to get the heat back on in the mill. Chief Operations Officer, John Hitchman says that the process is already underway with engineers working in the facility and the operation is expected to start producing paper by early April

Andre Nicol a spokesman for Thunder Bay Fine Papers Inc. says in total $42.7 million was needed to clinch the sale and previous attempts failed because the Fine Papers Group was unable to secure outside investment, with the province already providing loan guarantees. Minister of Northern Development and Mines, Michael Gravelle says the $1.5 million dollar grant announced recently solved that problem. Gravelle said he knew this day would finally come.

It hasn't been an easy process for the local group to get to this point and several hurdles stood in the way in the last two years. Cascades representative Hubert Bolduc echoed the feeling of many in the room Monday announced the final sale of the mill saying three times is the charm. This is the third time the group has made such an announcement but this time around they keys changed hands.

With the financing secured Hitchman says $16 million will be spent this year alone on the restructuring of the facility and he was surprised that two winters caused only minor damage in the mill.

Hitchman says when the operation starts back up 250 workers will be put back to work, which will eventually grow to about 500 with spin off jobs in the region. He is confident the mill will be successful.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 12:42 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Housing starts up in city
Tb News Source | Web Posted: 1/9/2008 5:27:12 PM
http://www.tbsource.com/Localnews/index.asp?cid=103564

Building activity continues to rise in Thunder Bay. The Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation shows there were 249 housing starts in Thunder Bay in 2007 compared to just 165 the year before.

The totals were boosted by an unusual flurry of new building activity at the end of the year. In December alone there were 20 new single detached starts which brought total activity in the fourth quarter to 59 new starts, the strongest forth quarter the city has seen since 2004. December's final numbers also brought single detached housing starts up 17.8 per cent from last year's total. CMHC says slight improvements in employment and a tight resale market prompted renewed interest in new construction.
Stupid suburbs and their stupid successes. Stupid suburbs. Only about a dozen of those starts were in the city centre. :/

Old Posted Jan 11, 2008, 8:02 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Rezoning sought to redevelop FWCI into housing complex
Tb News Source | Web Posted: 1/10/2008 7:42:27 PM
http://www.tbsource.com/Localnews/index.asp?cid=103617

Plans to transform a former city high school into a retirement development while keeping its distinguished character will be unveiled to the public next week.

Habib Enterprises is in the process of seeking rezoning of the former Fort William Collegiate Institute so they can proceed with a seniors housing development.

Ahsanul Habib says they plan to develop 38 condominium units in the building, a recreational facility in what was the gymnasium and eight town houses along Marks and Catherine Streets. Habib says it gives them an opportunity to preserve the school's history and culture, and gives community members a chance to own part of a designated heritage building.

'It's very challenging to convert this into residences, but it's also very promising, and very, I think we owe that to these buildings that are one-of-a-kind, that was built by, it took a lot of skills and labour and resources to build these buildings. And I'm going to try and see if we could give it a new life.''

Habib Enterprises is holding the open house Tuesday, Jan. 15 from 3:30 to 7:30 p.m. at FWCI.
The Isabella school redevelopment into condos has become stale. This one should be more successful though. Geared to seniors instead of families, and the building is fucking beautiful. I really hope this is successful. (I also hope the restore the bricked up windows) Additionally, the seniors residence market is rising here. The only residential developments that really move forward are those geared to seniors.

Picture by me.

Quote:
City jobless rate is second highest in province
Tb News Source | Web Posted: 1/11/2008 1:41:56 PM
http://www.tbsource.com/Localnews/index.asp?cid=103636

The jobless rate is holding steady both nationally and locally. Stats Canada reports the economy lost jobs last month after seven straight months of gains. However the national unemployment rate remained at 5.9 per cent.

There were 19,000 fewer people working last month -- leavingthe country with a job gain for all of 2007 at 370,000. Ontario's jobless rate during the month was 6.5 per cent -- up from 6.2.
Among the major cities in the province measured by Statistics
Canada, Ottawa and Sudbury both recorded rates below five per cent. Windsor was at the high end at 8.6 per cent.

In Thunder Bay the jobless rate held fast at seven per cent, the second highest in Ontario.
That is a pretty big gap. Windsor has the highest unemployment by far in this province. Thunder Bay isn't doing too bad now considering how hard our economy was hit. It was about 8.5 a couple years ago iirc.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2008, 12:42 PM
BANNED

The former Fort William Collegiate Institute looks amazing.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2008, 1:21 AM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post

Picture by me.
Is the addition still there? (gym and science labs). Spent most of my time growing up in T Bay living at Franklin and Isabella so much of my childhood there was spent playing at FWCI.

Curious about the Isabella condo proposal - couldn't find anything online - do you have links to something on it??

BTW, considering the low density housing stock for blocks around both FWCI and Isabella I think medium density condos would be pushed back by local nimby's - though I hope I'm wrong.

PS. Believe it or not, it was possible to climb onto the roof at FWCI using the columns and brickwork - especially in the east corner by gym addition.

Unfortunately the same couldn't have been said true for PACI as a friend's broken arm attested to.

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2008, 1:22 AM
Beer me Captain

^^ One more thing - as someone who attended Selkirk I can still say to this day, WTF is a Blue Bear??

Old Posted Jan 13, 2008, 7:36 PM
Beer me Captain

BTW, was in T Bay in early December on got these two shots ...

The demise of Skafs (BTW, Vid, it is/was Skafs and not Skavs.

And the start of "renos" at the old CIBC ...

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 2:38 AM
I am a typical

@Waterloo: Yes, it's my favourite of our old high schools.

@Shred: The addition is still there, it will become a recreation centre. (Thank you for reading the article!!)

For the Isabella proposal, click the TBDevelopments link in my sig, go to the list and scroll down. It's under Rumoured/Proposed - Residential. It has about 6 links.

All the comments I have heard about the FWCI conversion have been good, too. People want to see this place preserved. (The other school is ugly as shit and should just be demolished.)

I'm pretty sure you can get onto the roof of St. Ignatius (Lakeview) too. I know on flickr there are one or two pictures that someone took from the roof of FWCI. And they called them "Blue Bears" because they always lost.

Thanks for the pics. They should be done the Bank of Commerce by the end of January. They're just going to leave the façade there so I wouldn't call it "renos". Skafs will be a parking lot by the end of next week. They're finished clearing out most of the debris, they just do some finishing touches and pave it.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 12:00 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Watefront ball rolling [sic!]
By Jim Kelley | Monday, January 14, 2008
http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Thunder Bay city council kick-started the long-awaited waterfront development project late Monday night by approving $22 million as the city‘s share for the $126-million complex.

Work is to start this year with construction of the skateboard park and BMX plaza.

“The waterfront development project is something that all of Thunder Bay can be proud of,” waterfront development chairman Coun. Mark Bentz said. “Tonight is a very important night,” he said. “It‘s something we‘ve been dreaming of for the past 30 years,” he said.

After a two-hour discussion, council. by an 11-2 vote, approved its share to develop Prince Arthur‘s Landing and the New Marina project.

The provincial and federal governments will be contributing $22 million each. Chief administrative officer Robert Petrie said the city‘s $22 million is contingent on the other sources of funding.

The total cost for the project is $126 million, with $60 million coming from the private sector for a condo/hotel project.

Council earlier approved the master plan for the waterfront so Monday‘s decision paves the way for work to get going.

Bentz said the project is a good investment for the city, with the $22 million leveraging $126 million. “That‘s a pretty good return on the dollar,” he said.

Bentz said two local developers have expressed interest in the condo/hotel project and the city is getting good feedback from the province and federal governments.

Some councillors weren‘t happy with the location of the condos while others were uncomfortable with the funding but in the end there was a consensus.

“I don‘t agree with every single component of this project,” said Coun. Rebecca Johnson. “This is a scary thing but I believe that it‘s time to move forward. If we don‘t go ahead this time, I don‘t know when we‘ll ever go,” she said.

Other recommendations approved by council include creation of a waterfront development office, that administration provide estimated costs to build a road connection to the 106th Street overpass as well as an analysis of traffic impacts and costs associated with the proposed transformation of Water Street.

The city will proceed first with the Prince Arthur‘s Landing Project, delaying development of the New Marina until an environmental assessment is completed and approved. That is expected to take up to two years.

==

More details can be found here.
The condo component:

These are just placeholders, an example of what it might look like.

I'm not sure what they mean by "106th Street Overpass"; 106th street is in Fort William, its the street the Bascule Bridge was connected to. They city can't really build that as CP now owns the bridge in its entirety and it doesn't really have anything to do with this project. If they mean 16th Avenue, that's the Main Street Bridge by the Thunder Centre. They probably mean Central Avenue Overpass as there is no road connection between the two?

Additionally, the city should make Water and Cumberland one way streets, each with two lanes. Water being northbound and Cumberland being southbound. The way they split would make the transition pretty easy and this would allow for more street side parking on Cumberland which will really help businesses as it can be hard to get parking there on some days.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 1:54 PM
Cambridgite

Good news for the Gilbratar of the Canadian West.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2008, 6:52 PM
I am a typical

Thunder Bay City Hall is going to get a makeover. They said it will cost 2.5 million dollars and the end result will leave the building looking "different, but the same. There will be a noticeable difference but it will be identical to the current building".

They have no idea what the fuck they're doing.

In the mean time, they will stash the city government in one of the 20 or 30 other buildings that they own because City Hall is way too small for a city of 30,000 people.

http://www.tbsource.com/Localnews/index.asp?cid=103741

My guess is they'll move all the crap into some empty office space in VicVille. Having more people there might increase demand and make it more desirable, as at least 500 people work in City Hall's city hall building.

(I'm not kidding about them having about 20 other buildings, btw.)

==

The city has received 18,300,000$ of the casino's 366,000,000$ in revenue, leaving the total at 347,700,000$ sucked out of our economy by the OLGC. Yay!

http://www.tbsource.com/localnews/

==

The public is ok with the idea of converting FWCI into condos.

http://www.tbsource.com/Localnews/index.asp?cid=103747

Also, I made a map: http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?hl=en&...3276&z=10&om=0

You can click on things and see whats going on where. It doesn't include everything from the list, just confirmed stuff and some major dealies.

Last edited by vid; Jan 18, 2008 at 7:18 PM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2008, 12:33 AM
Aimless Wanderer

From www.baytoday.ca
Canadore College and Nipissing University
News Release

Canadore College and Nipissing University announced a new downtown location today at the corner of Main and Ferguson Streets, 100 Main Street East. The newly renovated facility will house two offices: Nipissing's Biidaaban Community Service-Learning and Canadore College's Continuing Education.

Nipissing’s Biidaaban Community Service-Learning (CSL) office provides experiential learning opportunities for students through community placements and, in turn, students provide a range of valuable services to community partners from literacy and math tutoring to developing marketing plans.

Canadore College’s Continuing Education department is committed to providing the community a variety of learning opportunities to achieve professional, personal and career development goals. There are approximately 3,500 Continuing Education registrations a year at Canadore, primarily in vocationally-related courses.

The institutions’ strategic plans identify increased town-gown relationships as an important objective to achieve and the programming at both offices were ideal for a co-location in the downtown core. For the past six months, Canadore College and Nipissing University have been looking for an opportunity that would make post secondary education more visible and more integrated into the city.

“We are extremely proud to be an integral part of the North Bay community and the new location makes that connection even stronger,” says Dennis Mock, president of Nipissing University. “Over the last couple of years, members from the community have suggested that we have a presence in the downtown core and town-gown relationships are a key objective in our strategic plan, so I’m very pleased that we have been able to move forward with those suggestions.”
“At Canadore, we pride ourselves on responding to our community’s needs. By establishing a downtown storefront location, we are increasing our accessibility and our visibility in the community and reciprocating the ongoing support of the City and our region.” says Barbara Taylor, president of Canadore College.

The Main St. location will provide approximately 4,000 sq. feet of space for administrative offices and meeting rooms.

“We work so closely with the businesses and industries within our city that having a location in downtown North Bay is a natural fit. We value our relationship with all of the community members and see our presence in the downtown core as a way to strengthen existing relationships and establish new ones. We are extremely excited to be a part of downtown North Bay,” says Tracie Marsh-Fior, Canadore College Acting Director, Enterprise and Partnerships.

“The expansion of our office to this location provides an opportunity for us to strengthen ties within the North Bay community,” says Laurie McLaren, Nipissing University Manager of Biidaaban Community Service-Learning, “it also increases access to the members of the community we serve.”

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 12:52 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
City water supply shifts to single source next week
Tb News Source | Web Posted: 1/30/2008 7:45:50 PM
http://www.tbsource.com/Localnews/index.asp?cid=104237

The Bare Point Water Treatment Plant should be the sole source of the city's water supply some time next week and the existing infrastructure at Loch Lomond is up for sale and may be used for other purposes.

Manager of the City's Engineering Department Pat Mauro said Wednesday, Bare Point is currently distributing water to most of the city and they're now taking the last steps to make the switch for all Thunder Bay residents.

''We've been modifying the infrastructure such as the water mains, valves, various other things, components of the infrastructure in order to allow Bare Point water to head in the South direction. And of course to idle Loch Lomond, so that there isn't any water flowing down into Loch Lomond and into the distribution system.''

Mauro says once the conversion is made from Loch Lomond to Bare Point they'll throttle the valves at Loch Lomond to reduce the amount of flow going through the plant and the pipes. They won't be shutting off the switch completely, because they want to keep the integrity of the infrastructure and the pipelines will remain where they are for untreated water back up for the city but the plant itself is up for sale.

''We're also working on a partnership with Fort William First Nation to look at the options for utilizing the Loch Lomond water resources, such as power generation and the sale of raw water. Hopefully, we can come up with the best use for Loch Lomond''

The city has been providing water to residents from the Loch Lomond treatment plant for the last 100 years and after almost a decade of debate, the plant is finally days away from being decommissioned.

Mauro says they will be monitoring the water pressure during the transition next week to ensure there's sufficient flow all across the city.
Bye bye, high water pressure and chlorine. We'll miss you. One a side note, this is one of the final steps of our amalgamation. The transition from four cities to one is almost complete. I just hope the icky water taste from Port Arthur was specific to my last apartment and not the whole lake.. This really isn't a bad thing. We're going to be saving millions.

Also questions are raised about the Oliver Road ambulance dispatch. Residents don't want to lose the park (Even though I know for a fact that they never use the fucking park) and they're concerned about noise. I'm concerned about the closure of south end dispatches. They're doing this because response time in the north end is low, but if they get rid of all the other dispatches once the new one opens, response times will be low in Fort William instead, and they'll have the same problem all over again. Considering the Donald Street dispatch was recently renovated I think they should keep it open.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 1:37 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Looks good. I wouldn't mind seeing something like this go up on waterfront in the 'Peg.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 1:39 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
They get pissed off at Thunder Bay for having TBayTel in the area, then they sell their phone company? Jeez. Now if Dryden will just sell its phone service, we'll be able to get back to unifying the region.
I'm a little surprised MTS didn't snatch up Kenora's teleco.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 2:22 AM
I am a typical

Kenora didn't do much to advertise it. :/ I'm surprised TBayTel didn't bitch when it wasn't able to buy MTS.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 9:24 PM
Aimless Wanderer

Library on the books; Nipissing, Canadore students thrilled about planned learning centre. News of an $18-million investment toward a new library at Nipissing University and Canadore College spread like wildfire.

A few minutes after Minister of Training, Colleges and Universities John Milloy and Revenue Minister Monique Smith made the announcement at the Education Centre Wednesday morning, students inside the library and those walking down the hallways were already talking about the new E-Learning Resource Centre.

Nipissing University students Melanie Wood and Kayla Vibe heard the announcement and went into the library to get a sneak peek at the construction plans. The designs received a thumbs up from students who commented on the open concept and three-storey building.

"I think getting a new library is the most important thing because if we can't get the information we need, we can't get good marks," said Wood, who is enrolled in the first-year concurrent bachelor of education program.

"This is such a small library compared to other universities and there are so many resources we don't have. I fill out inter-library loan requests every couple of months because the books I need are at other universities."

Vibe said the library is where students do all their research, so it makes sense that it's the institution's top priority.

"I remember when I first walked into the library and immediately noticed how small it was," Vibe said. "There's also not nearly enough computers and the ones they do have are always full. I find myself going home to do computer work."

Several Nipissing and Canadore students joined the crowd of faculty, dignitaries and local media who formed a horseshoe around a podium where Milloy and Smith were speaking.

Jodi Fife said she is disappointed she won't be at Canadore when the new building opens.

The tender is expected to go out by the end of this year and shovels should be in the ground by 2009. Work should be completed 18 months later, creating 180 temporary construction jobs.

The funding for the project is part of a $1.4-billion investment in strategic infrastructure announced in the province's fall economic statement. It also comes on the heels of Tuesday's $2.5-million announcement to improve energy efficiency, campus security and infrastructure renewal projects at Nipissing and Canadore.

Fife, a 19-year-old law clerk student, said when there's not enough room in the library to do group work, students have to use the cafeteria.

"It's just too loud in there," she said.

Milloy took a tour of the library and agreed there is an immediate need for a new facility.

"The sharing between these two institutions is a wonderful example for the rest of the province, however the size and study space is very much needed."

Smith said Milloy was the seventh minister to tour the library.

"This announcement will seal the deal," she said, adding she doesn't anticipate there being a problem with the community raising the remaining $5 million needed to build the facility.

Canadore president Barbara Taylor said when she heard the news she "burst into tears."

"This space has been outgrown for more than a decade. It's not what college students need. They need more space and more small meeting rooms," she said.

Nipissing University president Dennis Mock said it is a project that has been in the works for months.

"There are a lot of competitive activities and we had to make sure we came up with something they (the government) believed in and wanted to invest in," he said, adding the library is consistently raised as a disappointment during student satisfaction surveys.

"For a college and university of more than 7,000 students we don't have an adequate facility."

A couple pics.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario