HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 9:11 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 11:40 PM

I’m in the minority who loves BIGs design over Foster, it’s massive, it doesn’t taper and it’s Newyork

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 12:38 AM
Show me the blueprints

Was that seriously the bullshit Fox News ticker language that was pitched? Jeeezus what a nightmare...

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 1:24 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXFrank View Post
I’m in the minority who loves BIGs design over Foster, it’s massive, it doesn’t taper and it’s Newyork
Big’s tower is beautiful.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
Big’s tower is beautiful.

This is the most hideous supertall in the history of New York ....ever.

I still hope that thing won't get built, that project belongs in the trash bin.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 5:05 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
These are the only two things I like about it

It sort of looks like a tower falling over (in the same direction as the old 2WTC), but whatever...

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 5:50 AM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILNY View Post
This is the most hideous supertall in the history of New York ....ever.

I still hope that thing won't get built, that project belongs in the trash bin.
Agree completely, it's a dumpster fire of a shit design. I hope it never gets built.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 4:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Agree completely, it's a dumpster fire of a shit design. I hope it never gets built.
I think that NY is the best city in America by far, and has the highest standards. It is clear, nevertheless, that if BIG's tower were proposed for Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Charlotte, Miami, Seattle, Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, etc., the residents of those cities would be overwhelmed with joy.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 7:41 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
Ehhh I wouldn't want it here in Pittsburgh. This city has one of the best skylines in America and something this ugly would ruin it. However, Id be overjoyed with something this tall being built in Pittsburgh if it had the original design.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 7:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
^
Ehhh I wouldn't want it here in Pittsburgh. This city has one of the best skylines in America and something this ugly would ruin it. However, Id be overjoyed with something this tall being built in Pittsburgh if it had the original design.
I don’t know why Statement is more delusional: (1) that P’Burgh has one one of the best skylines in America; or (2) that Burghers wouldn’t want BIG’s tower.

I actually like the Burgh, but that statement is comical.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 8:09 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Forget about what other people think, I liked Foster's design, and could take either one. But let's be real, the only thing special about it was the diamond top, which would otherwise only be visible from one side. Anyone who seriously thinks it was a much better design is only fooling themselves.

This new design is also different from north to south sides, but is so much closer in spirit to the WTC.

Now, if they could bring back Foster's original proposal for the WTC, then we could talk. Other than that, its just angry noise.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 8:54 PM

This is the only thread where people call clean simple boxes a mess of a design.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 9:07 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarri4 View Post
This is the only thread where people call clean simple boxes a mess of a design.
It depends on what angle you're looking at the building from. From the South and West, it looks fine, from the North (and maybe East) it looks pretty messy/ugly to me.

I'd still prefer this over nothing though, and to each their own.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 9:48 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

I'm sorry not sorry; but BIG owns it for me.

It's massive, yet it can't be said to violate any sense of scope. And the cantilevering is truly epic. The ticker is/was an interesting idea as well.

But even now with 175G and Broad to come, Foster's 1WTC is an architecturalized vagina waiting to collapse on itself.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 1:08 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

At this point, its better than nada. Too much going on in the city to stress about this site.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 1:39 AM

I never saw the appeal in the original Foster (2002) design. Like, it doesn't even look realistic...

Anyway, I've always thought BIG's design was a better fit.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 2:57 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden View Post
I never saw the appeal in the original Foster (2002) design. Like, it doesn't even look realistic...

Anyway, I've always thought BIG's design was a better fit.
Nothing about it is unrealistic. Especially with the skyscraper designs that we see rising today. Maybe in 1950, but not today.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...d-trade-center

Citi-Backed Mortgage Startup Takes Space at 3 World Trade Center

By Lily Katz
March 14, 2019

Quote:
Better.com, the home-financing startup backed by Citigroup Inc. and other major financial firms, plans to move into 3 World Trade Center as it looks to grow beyond its current office in a neighboring downtown Manhattan skyscraper.

The company, founded in New York City in 2016, signed a lease for 44,000 square feet (4,000 square meters) on the tower’s 59th story and has the option to expand on two more floors, according to a statement from landlord Silverstein Properties Inc.
Quote:
Owners of office buildings in lower Manhattan have faced competition from glassy new skyscrapers in Midtown East and Hudson Yards, the $25 billion development on the far west side that has lured high-profile tenants such as BlackRock Inc. and KKR & Co.

“Park Avenue or Hudson Yards are for people who’ve already made it,” Better.com Chief Executive Officer Vishal Garg said in an interview. “Downtown is for people who are making it.”
Quote:
At 3 World Trade Center, Better.com will join tenants including advertising company GroupM, consulting giant McKinsey & Co. and stock-exchange operator IEX Group Inc. Silverstein also recently signed leases with mattress startup Casper, quantitative-trading firm Hudson River Trading and beverage company Diageo Plc. The 80-story, 2.8 million-square-foot tower opened in June and is more than 50 percent leased.

Silverstein Chairman Larry Silverstein said in February that he may consider starting construction on 2 World Trade Center, the final skyscraper at the downtown site, without a committed tenant if the developer makes leasing progress in the other towers.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 5:19 PM
BANNED

I can't wait to see BIG's stunning landmark rise.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 6:16 PM

I just don't think the 2002 Foster design would have went well with the city's fabric. I think the designs we got so far for all three towers built worked out for the best. Just because it's an iconic site didn't mean we needed some otherworldly design. The complex that we have today exerts a conservative yet modern look. Whenever 2WTC is built, that'll tie all the loose ends.
Leave the over the top stuff to Midtown and Billionaire's Row.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
I think that NY is the best city in America by far, and has the highest standards. It is clear, nevertheless, that if BIG's tower were proposed for Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Charlotte, Miami, Seattle, Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, etc., the residents of those cities would be overwhelmed with joy.
Not Chicago or Miami. They have good buildings and standards. Maybe the other cities. I'd like to see a completely new design for this plot when it finally is a go. Neither Foster nor BIG.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction