Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Salesforce Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 24, 2016, 4:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRinconHill View Post
Looks like it's only about 50 feet away from our dearest Pyramid.
You think after the Salesforce Tower is completed the Pyramid will still be considered the main tower of San Francisco? Or will it be forgotten in the skyline?

Last edited by Justbuildit; Sep 24, 2016 at 5:39 AM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2016, 8:02 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justbuildit View Post
You think after the Salesforce Tower is completed the Pyramid will still be considered the main tower of San Francisco? Or will it be forgotten in the skyline?
Neither--it will not be considered or appear to be the "main tower", but it will forever remain an icon. Its location on the edge of the North Financial District also helps that.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2016, 5:52 PM

Oops.. will post pic later

Old Posted Sep 24, 2016, 6:46 PM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
Neither--it will not be considered or appear to be the "main tower", but it will forever remain an icon. Its location on the edge of the North Financial District also helps that.
To me, it seems very comparable to the situation of the Chrysler Building in New York. It will no longer be the tallest building in the city, and others may still yet surpass it, but it will always be an iconic profile on the face of the skyline. Also, as you said, its location allows for a somewhat permanent view from the northwest where you can see the entire height of the building. It simply cannot be hidden or forgotten, nor should it be.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2016, 7:22 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

I'm not sure Transamerica is the city's "main tower" even now. It is the tallest, at least for the next week or two, and then it will be second-tallest, or third, or whatever. 555 California is the city's biggest building. 101 California, Millennium Tower, 50 Fremont, 1 and 4 Embarcadero--all have more square footage than Transamerica. There are probably others as well. Yet Transamerica is definitely San Francisco's most iconic skyscraper. People far away, who have never set foot in the region, know it is a landmark here. It will remain an icon of this city for as long as it stands.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2016, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
I'm not sure Transamerica is the city's "main tower" even now. It is the tallest, at least for the next week or two, and then it will be second-tallest, or third, or whatever. 555 California is the city's biggest building. 101 California, Millennium Tower, 50 Fremont, 1 and 4 Embarcadero--all have more square footage than Transamerica. There are probably others as well. Yet Transamerica is definitely San Francisco's most iconic skyscraper. People far away, who have never set foot in the region, know it is a landmark here. It will remain an icon of this city for as long as it stands.
How many people in the world are even aware of Salesforce Tower? I mean, I knew some adults who didn't even know the Twin Towers existed until they got destroyed on 9/11 even though those towers were the most prominent landmarks in the city for several decades. They knew about the Empire State Building from the King Kong movie but that was about it.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2016, 8:35 PM
Sonoma Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justbuildit View Post
How many people in the world are even aware of Salesforce Tower? I mean, I knew some adults who didn't even know the Twin Towers existed until they got destroyed on 9/11 even though those towers were the most prominent landmarks in the city for several decades. They knew about the Empire State Building from the King Kong movie but that was about it.
Salesforce tower IS is the movie Big Hero Six

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2016, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantw View Post
9/20/16

Maybe the curtainwall is a bit slow going up, but its worth it when it is up. Looking good.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 4:05 AM

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 6:13 AM

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 2:13 PM

Great shot.

810 feet to the top of the rebar on that picture (since the photo was taken on 9/23).

Transamerica is officially 853 feet (according to our skyscraperpage database).

I enlarged the picture, and it looks like the top of the rebar is about 15 feet higher than the TA (one SF floor).

So, this tells me that SF tower sits on ground approximately 28 feet higher than Transamerica?

If true, this will make SF tower seem even taller.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 3:01 PM
Get me out of here

9/26/16

New row of glass going up!

Last edited by brantw; Sep 26, 2016 at 6:15 PM. Reason: Added photo

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botoxic View Post
Look at all that "haze"

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Oops, you accidentally posted a picture of Manhattan. Oh wait...

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 7:27 PM

I will be in San Francisco on Oct 9 to see this building in person! Do you think it will have added one more floor by then?

BTW, how come this building has only 60 floors? Its roof height is much higher than that of LA's Wilshire, but the latter has 73 floors. Chicago's Wanda Vista has 93 floors, despite being not a whole lot taller than Salesforce. One more example: 3 WTC in NYC has almost exactly the same roof height as Salesforce, and is also 100% office, but it has 80 floors.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 7:27 PM

Quote:
I like the view of SF best from this location. Looks massive.

Last edited by Justbuildit; Sep 26, 2016 at 8:44 PM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 8:15 PM

I wish I had a better camera on me, but here's a skyline view from Rockridge Bart at sunset:

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 9:40 PM
Droppin' Loads

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Alan View Post
...I enlarged the picture, and it looks like the top of the rebar is about 15 feet higher than the TA (one SF floor).

So, this tells me that SF tower sits on ground approximately 28 feet higher than Transamerica?

If true, this will make SF tower seem even taller.
Transamerica is farther away than SF tower in that photo, so you can't compare heights directly. The surface elevation of both towers is about the same.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
I will be in San Francisco on Oct 9 to see this building in person! Do you think it will have added one more floor by then?

BTW, how come this building has only 60 floors? Its roof height is much higher than that of LA's Wilshire, but the latter has 73 floors. Chicago's Wanda Vista has 93 floors, despite being not a whole lot taller than Salesforce. One more example: 3 WTC in NYC has almost exactly the same roof height as Salesforce, and is also 100% office, but it has 80 floors.
By Oct 9, the outer forms will have added 3 more floors.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post

The other skyscrapers you mentioned are either about half (Wilshire Grand) or fully (Wanda Vista) residential. Commercial floors often have floor-to-floor heights that are generally at least 50% greater than the floor-to-floor heights of residential floors. This is true of several buildings in SF as well: One Rincon Hill is 641 feet and has 60 floors. Millennium Tower is 645 feet and has 58 floors. Oceanwide Center, going in across the street, will have 61 floors as it is mixed use office/residential, even though it has a roof that is about 100 feet below Salesforce.

As far as the WTC, I've read that towers in the Eastern US tend to have lower floor-to-floor heights then towers in the western US. Haven't found any good sources on why this is the case.

Last edited by iamfishhead; Sep 27, 2016 at 2:29 AM. Reason: Forgot to respond to comment about WTC

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture