HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 10:33 PM

Building permit issued on Native American Connections building.

Plan review filed for 70 apartments at 3rd Ave/Roosevelt

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Building permit issued on Native American Connections building.

Plan review filed for 70 apartments at 3rd Ave/Roosevelt

Good to see the NAC building breaking ground soon. Also, bummer to see the R3 project down to 5 stories. I remember it being originally proposed as 8-stories. Anyways, may attend RAA meeting next week where they will talk about this project. Maybe some renderings will be shared...

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 10:43 PM

if anyone can find some renderings I'm adding this one to the rundown thread.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 9:25 PM
Modulator

Paz Cantina will re-open in Broadstone Roosevelt in a couple of months according to Phoenix New Times. Good to hear it will re-open soon.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/resta...ening-10139011

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 9:13 PM

Looks like they already have the retail space leased out for the new development on NEC of 5th St and Roosevelt. Some coffee/pizza/wine concept.

Also, they are adding some patio/shade to Taco Chelo restaurant (Flowers building)

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 8:58 PM
Modulator

The house behind the Willa (NE corner of Willetta and 1st St.) is slated for demo on the 26th.

This is a serious topic for me and I've mentioned it a couple of times. I hope they "humanely" remove all of the cats that are living on the property and attempt to adopt them out or locate them elsewhere. If they bulldoze the house with the cats still living inside, I am going to call this in to the local media. I have tried to reach the developer on this and have not heard anything about what they plan to do with the cats. There was a couple of other people on the site that I was talking with and they said they were also concerend about the cats. They said they spoke to someone on the premises earlier today and that person said "Well, we could poison them" when they brought up their concerns about the cats!

This is not even remotely acceptable! I am all for development, but I am also first a foremost an animal right advocate. Does anyone know whom to contact regarding this?? Demolition is only a few days away. These cats need to be removed from the property.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 9:17 PM
Skyriser

Lucky Paws trapped a bunch of cats when developers tore down the Paddock Pools headquarters in Scottsdale.

I would also call up HALO Animal Rescue for advice. I've given them a good chunk of change over the years, if you don't get anywhere with them do me a favor and remind them about me (sean) and "Tucker's 10th birthday."

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 9:25 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Lucky Paws trapped a bunch of cats when developers tore down the Paddock Pools headquarters in Scottsdale.

I would also call up HALO Animal Rescue for advice. I've given them a good chunk of change over the years, if you don't get anywhere with them do me a favor and remind them about me (sean) and "Tucker's 10th birthday."
Thanks Sean, I will reach out to them. Currently, I am on hold with the Maricopa County Humane Society. I also reached out to the City of Phoenix. They were only able to verify there was an active demolition permit. I stopped back by after I posted that message and there was a representative onsite. He was well aware of the cats, but like the couple I spoke with early had told me, he didn't seem to really care. I will investigate other options.

Last edited by CrestedSaguaro; Feb 22, 2018 at 9:38 PM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 10:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Thanks Sean, I will reach out to them. Currently, I am on hold with the Maricopa County Humane Society. I also reached out to the City of Phoenix. They were only able to verify there was an active demolition permit. I stopped back by after I posted that message and there was a representative onsite. He was well aware of the cats, but like the couple I spoke with early had told me, he didn't seem to really care. I will investigate other options.
Thank you (Sean and Ronnie) for being so concerned for these little creatures. It's so important to take care of these defenseless animals. I too have had a great experience in the past with HALO, so it's a good option. I know there's organizations out there to help. Again guys, thank you.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 2:42 AM
Skyriser

And I suppose it goes without saying is that they're leveling a house that's one of the oldest and most unique in Phoenix for what's invariably going to be a vacant lot. Shame. Kind of surprised we haven't hear anything of this outside this forum.

Google results for the legality of poisoning cats in Arizona and my reading of ARS 13-2910 indicates that behavior would be illegal.

Might want to remind the person who suggested that.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 5:30 PM
METRO: Encanto

According to the folks at the Historic Neighborhood Coalition there was an attempt to save the house that failed. Too expensive to move, apparently.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 6:22 PM

Unfortunately rescuing a bunch of feral cats from the building isn't necessarily going to give them a good end result. Not a lot of people looking to adopt ferals...

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 7:09 PM
Modulator

Unfortunately, I didn't get anywhere. The humane society told me to pour white vinegar around the house and the cats will leave on their own as they don't like the smell. So, I will be showing up tomorrow morning with a couple of jugs of vinegar. Hope this works.

Sean, I think there is a planned 2nd phase of Willa on this lot which is why it's being demolished. I agree that it (the house) could have been saved. I was able to go inside yesterday and the interior was in surprisingly decent shape. It's a shame not more historic homes are not saved.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, I didn't get anywhere. The humane society told me to pour white vinegar around the house and the cats will leave on their own as they don't like the smell. So, I will be showing up tomorrow morning with a couple of jugs of vinegar. Hope this works.

Sean, I think there is a planned 2nd phase of Willa on this lot which is why it's being demolished. I agree that it (the house) could have been saved. I was able to go inside yesterday and the interior was in surprisingly decent shape. It's a shame not more historic homes are not saved.
Is there anything worth salvaging inside the house? door handles, other hardware, anything?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 9:13 PM

Quote:
What terrible people . . . if these were dogs you'd never hear the end of it!

I love all animals, but for some reason there are "animal lovers" and then there are "dog people" who seem to restrict their love/affection of other species for dogs alone.

I'd assume the cats will begin to vacate and run from the house once demolition equipment arrives and begins to grumble . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
According to the folks at the Historic Neighborhood Coalition there was an attempt to save the house that failed. Too expensive to move, apparently.
Yet the community at Melrose on 7th ave. was able to save that piece of shit drive through liquor store . . . shit like this is depressing.

We have VERY little pre-WWII structures in this city and they add infinitely to the character of a place.

Strange how certain preservation stories make the news and others just fly under the radar. Seems a total shame to not have any vision to incorporate this house in to the project in one way or another . . . . lame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Unfortunately rescuing a bunch of feral cats from the building isn't necessarily going to give them a good end result. Not a lot of people looking to adopt ferals...
You don't need to adopt them out; spay/neuter them & return to the community where they can no longer breed but can live our their little feral cat lives

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 9:43 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Is there anything worth salvaging inside the house? door handles, other hardware, anything?
Maybe. The couple I was speaking with yesterday were trying to salvage some things. Not sure what all they were able to get.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 9:45 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVINphx View Post
What terrible people . . . if these were dogs you'd never hear the end of it!

I love all animals, but for some reason there are "animal lovers" and then there are "dog people" who seem to restrict their love/affection of other species for dogs alone.

I'd assume the cats will begin to vacate and run from the house once demolition equipment arrives and begins to grumble . . . .

Yet the community at Melrose on 7th ave. was able to save that piece of shit drive through liquor store . . . shit like this is depressing.

We have VERY little pre-WWII structures in this city and they add infinitely to the character of a place.

Strange how certain preservation stories make the news and others just fly under the radar. Seems a total shame to not have any vision to incorporate this house in to the project in one way or another . . . . lame.

You don't need to adopt them out; spay/neuter them & return to the community where they can no longer breed but can live our their little feral cat lives
100% agree with everything and I was also thinking about how they saved the pink liquor store, but ignoring a Victorian style home that is much older. Sad

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 3:01 PM

Quote:
100% agree with everything and I was also thinking about how they saved the pink liquor store, but ignoring a Victorian style home that is much older. Sad
somewhat jokingly, this is a combination of two things dear to me; cats and preservation! hahaha

I live adjacent to an historic district and it's sad to see the destruction of some of the homes as the area is rapidly gentrifying (24th street and Osborn) as only about 35-40 homes in my half square mile have protection . . . good for folks like us who are building on the back of our home and leaving the original 1945 structure as built - but not for the 1950 streamline house around the corner that was just flattened for what I'm sure will be a 1800 square foot tract home with the currently-trendy "Arcadia" OR contemporary lipstick scheme. . .

but it is raising our property value so it's hard to complain . . .

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 6:33 PM

102 E Wiletta was flattened this morning. Shit, seems they like they couldn't wait to get rid of the place.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVINphx View Post

but it is raising our property value so it's hard to complain . . .
Yes, I'm just waiting for the remaining long-time residents of my neighborhood to sell to someone who will bulldoze or otherwise enhance. I'm all for these neat 1950s ranch neighborhoods but getting the poorly maintained homes replaced or remodeled while also upgrading quality of neighbor is good for all of us.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest