HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

35 Hudson Yards in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 10:15 PM

I don't know about as a standalone design but I actually think this new one might go a bit better with the rest of what they building in phase one, at least in my opinion.

950ft' isn't anything to sneeze at either, just short of 4WTC. This whole thing is gonna be quite similar to watching another WTC site rise, hopefully with less hiccups along the way.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 12:56 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.rew-online.com/2012/12/12...-heart-of-nyc/

Stephen Ross moving Related corporate offices to ‘new heart’ of NYC
Related will move its corporate headquarters to the ‘E’ Tower in 2017

By Orlando Lee Rodriguez
December 12, 2012

Quote:

The Related Cos. is moving its corporate headquarters to the new Hudson Yards development, chairman Stephen Ross confirmed this week. “Hudson Yards will be the new heart of New York,” Ross said in a statement to Real Estate Weekly. “With all the elements that make this city great, it is the ideal location for Related’s corporate headquarters.”

The real estate powerhouse hinted the announcement could be a prelude to a series of big deals coming up at the 26-aqcre development which broke ground last week. “We are in advanced discussions with numerous large-scale corporate tenants,” he said.

Related Companies, a privately-held, real estate development, management and finance company, plans to move into Hudson Yards ‘E Tower’ once it is completed in 2017. Ross also confirmed that he plans on moving his personal residence to Hudson Yards from the Time Warner Center. His apartment would be on the top floor.

The 60-story E Tower will rise on the corner of West 33rd Street and 11th Avenue and will be designed by David M. Childs of the architectural firm Skidmore, Owings & Merrill. Built on a platform on top of the existing MTA rail yards, the mixed use E-Tower will contain retail and office space as well as residential condominiums.

Presently, Hudson Yards South Office Tower is under construction on the solid ground, south side of West 30th Street, slightly west of 10th Avenue. The company officially broke ground on it last week. The platform that will cover the existing MTA rail yards and where the majority of buildings will be located, will be erected as more tenants commit.

Related’s departure from its long-time headquarters at the Time Warner Center will leave a gaping hole there that would need to be filled. The company indicated that no determination has been made as to whether it will keep all or part of its current Columbus Circle space. Current listed office tenants at the TWC are Related, AREA and Time Warner whose lease is also set to expire in 2017

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 2:39 PM

What a baller. He's a man who knows how to get what he wants.

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 8:45 PM

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 10:48 PM

That's so awesome.

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 11:48 PM

How can so much apparently byzantine aesthetic thought be put into a skyscraper and yet it turns out so simple??

It's as if the architects have taken the concept of paradox and turned it inside out.

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 1:55 AM
New Yorker for life

A little awkward from some angles, but I like it...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 1:52 PM
New Yorker for life

More images...

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 7:02 PM

Interesting hearing about the stone and how it transitions to glass, that could be great.

It reminds me a bit of Trump in Chicago and maybe a bit of a twisty version of 777 Tower in LA.

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 10:33 PM
Regina rhymes with fun!

So another tenant for the Time Warner Center jumps ship.. I think, does anyone know if any other tenants left that complex? o:

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
So another tenant for the Time Warner Center jumps ship.. I think, does anyone know if any other tenants left that complex? o:
There are basically only two office tenants at Time Warner Center (well, really only one; Time Warner obviously, and the Related office is not that big).

Related is definitely leaving and Time Warner is supposedly leaving. The rents are way too high for "normal" companies at Time Warner Center; watch as this space is given over to smaller hedge funds, private equity firms, and other boutique uses (which is the same thing happening with all Class A space near Central Park; office space there is too expensive for big space users).

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 12:34 PM
New Yorker for life

David Childs speaks on the design...(he also says foundation work is being done, the project has moved ahead )

http://vimeo.com/67502350

Some grabs...

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 7:26 PM

Bummer, looks like they took the video down. Thanks for getting the grabs though. I'm fascinated by this building, although I agree that it looks awkward from some angles (mainly when the upper tower looks like the broom handle to the much wider base.)

The cladding is genius. I hope it looks as good in real life as it does in renders. Inspired by the draping of a pleated gown, apparently, as they said in an earlier video, it reminds me a little of classical take on Gehry's undulating metals. I hope it goes on to inspire more playful use of materials in other proposals -- just think what you could do combining this sort of texture with brick or cast iron.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 9:37 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
Bummer, looks like they took the video down.
Here it is again.

http://vimeo.com/67566577

Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 12:14 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 6:34 PM

Thanks for posting that. Childs is a very smart man. Considering all the requirements and limitations put upon this building, it's a wonder we're getting anything at all, and he managed to design something pretty iconic.

Interesting that he said the designs aren't final, though. Seems like that's just in reference to the exteriors. I wonder just how much they could actually change.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 9:30 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
Interesting that he said the designs aren't final, though. Seems like that's just in reference to the exteriors. I wonder just how much they could actually change.
It's evolved a lot, but we could still see more changes. I still remember this earlier version...

Quote:

Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 9:53 PM

Oh yeah, that one looked good. Nice uninterrupted face made it look very tall, and it fit nicely with the rest of the towers. A little less unique than the current iteration though. Probably came before Ross' suggestion that Childs explore using stone.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
-
I like it a lot, but it looks best from above.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 1:17 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
A little awkward from some angles, but I like it...

For some reason, this render gives me an odd sense of déjà vu...Something like...

Source

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive