HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 7:15 PM

That's expensive. They'd better come with all the appliances and heat and hydro included at those prices. It would be cheaper to buy a condo next door and pay the condo fees.

At least someone is even attempting a new build for rentals, that rarely happens.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 11:42 PM

^Yeah, a bit pricey indeed. Nice little units, though, especially for somebody who's in and out of town.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2013, 7:02 PM

I live next door at the Chantilly Apartments and noticed that they started to put up the curtain wall glass this weekend. I snapped a picture this afternoon (the weird pattern is because I forgot a polarizing filter on my camera).

I believe the glass on the east side of the building went up yesterday and they were working on the back of the building this morning.

(Photo source: myself)

Last edited by strackj; Oct 20, 2013 at 7:23 PM.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 4:43 AM

A photo of the completed project was never posted...

Source

Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 5:28 AM

Nice. Some good interior pics here. They seem to be rental only. Interesting.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 7:12 AM

I've been on the inside of this building and got a tour of the apartments and I must say that the interior is absolutely stunning. It's a mix of modernism, urban, and Scandinavian styles kind of like a mesh between Ikea and Urban Barn. That being said, I feel as if top glass floor was shoddily done and the exterior brick could use a staining so its all consistent but alas, I shouldn't complain -- after all, this is one less ruin in the core.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 3:04 PM

I know I'm late to the party, I've been a long-time lurker on this site but the revival on this thread finally convinced me to create an account and add to the discussion here.

First off, let's say that I'm happy to see renewal in this city. One less wreck of a property is a good thing. BUT!!!! As nice as this place is, it's necessary to call out a scam.

The man who renovated this place also renovated 508 Mohawk E. (fancy site is still up http://508mohawk.com/). The rentals were done by the same person with the hotmail address with promises of low energy bills thanks to LED lighting (never installed), on-demand water heater and special insulation throughout the unit. Do you know what happens when the tenant pays for electricity when they have electric "hotel style" heating/AC units in the wall and an electric water heater? It's not pretty.

Sure the finishes in this building are beautiful, just as they were at 508 Mohawk. However, I feel sorry for any tenants currently occupying units at 275 King. It didn't take long for 508 Mohawk to change hands and I'm sure it won't here either.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonishome View Post
I know I'm late to the party, I've been a long-time lurker on this site but the revival on this thread finally convinced me to create an account and add to the discussion here.

First off, let's say that I'm happy to see renewal in this city. One less wreck of a property is a good thing. BUT!!!! As nice as this place is, it's necessary to call out a scam.

The man who renovated this place also renovated 508 Mohawk E. (fancy site is still up http://508mohawk.com/). The rentals were done by the same person with the hotmail address with promises of low energy bills thanks to LED lighting (never installed), on-demand water heater and special insulation throughout the unit. Do you know what happens when the tenant pays for electricity when they have electric "hotel style" heating/AC units in the wall and an electric water heater? It's not pretty.

Sure the finishes in this building are beautiful, just as they were at 508 Mohawk. However, I feel sorry for any tenants currently occupying units at 275 King. It didn't take long for 508 Mohawk to change hands and I'm sure it won't here either.
So do you know first hand that high energy consuming utilities were installed at 275 King or are you basing that on what happened at 508 Mohawk and making the assumption that since its the same person its the same deal?

When you say "the person who renovated" are you referring to Dennis Vranich?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
So do you know first hand that high energy consuming utilities were installed at 275 King or are you basing that on what happened at 508 Mohawk and making the assumption that since its the same person its the same deal?

When you say "the person who renovated" are you referring to Dennis Vranich?
I have not personally viewed the units at 275 King however I am led to the assumption based on a few things.
-the pictures in the gallery showing the heat/AC unit are the same style which was installed at 508 Mohawk, I do have first hand knowledge of the installation there
- there are many similarities in the feature/amenity descriptions of both properties including most importantly, the spray-foam insulation, on-demand water heater and LED lighting
- both projects are the work of Dennis Vranich, in fact work was originally supposed to happen on 275 King as 508 Mohawk was wrapping up

I should be clear that I do not have an opinion of Dennis Vranich and this posting should not be regarded as any commentary on him directly. I have met him once and I know others that have been around him on a more regular basis but I would not say that I have had enough dealings concerning him to have an opinion.

Rather, this posting is born out of the frustration that I saw others go through due to the heat/AC and water heater units at 508 Mohawk and perhaps that makes my original post and this one out of line.

I am all for the very tasteful renovations that were done on both these properties however the spirit of my original post was that I'd hate to see more people misled or stuck with utility bills that would be more appropriate for a 2000 sq. ft. home.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonishome View Post
I have not personally viewed the units at 275 King however I am led to the assumption based on a few things.
-the pictures in the gallery showing the heat/AC unit are the same style which was installed at 508 Mohawk, I do have first hand knowledge of the installation there
- there are many similarities in the feature/amenity descriptions of both properties including most importantly, the spray-foam insulation, on-demand water heater and LED lighting
- both projects are the work of Dennis Vranich, in fact work was originally supposed to happen on 275 King as 508 Mohawk was wrapping up

I should be clear that I do not have an opinion of Dennis Vranich and this posting should not be regarded as any commentary on him directly. I have met him once and I know others that have been around him on a more regular basis but I would not say that I have had enough dealings concerning him to have an opinion.

Rather, this posting is born out of the frustration that I saw others go through due to the heat/AC and water heater units at 508 Mohawk and perhaps that makes my original post and this one out of line.

I am all for the very tasteful renovations that were done on both these properties however the spirit of my original post was that I'd hate to see more people misled or stuck with utility bills that would be more appropriate for a 2000 sq. ft. home.
That seems reasonable.

Welcome to the forum! These are indeed exciting times for Hamilton

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 8:42 AM

Not quite sure what the difference between a condo and an apartment is but...http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...ndos-1.3344039

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by interr0bangr View Post
Not quite sure what the difference between a condo and an apartment is but...http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...ndos-1.3344039
A condo you need approved financing for and an apartment you just need first and last.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 6:22 PM

Am I the only one here who hates how the exterior turned out on this apartment building? Especially the terrible cladding on the top floor windows?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasmascotto View Post
Am I the only one here who hates how the exterior turned out on this apartment building? Especially the terrible cladding on the top floor windows?
I think no one is saying anything because they remember what it once was.
It had missing windows, trees growing through holes in the roof and regular fires inside set by professional assholes. This building is Hamilton; not pretty, but getting there.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton