HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Well after reading that above article there are definitely some comforting words. At this point, just as stated in the article, it’s simply a waiting game. I believe though after all the time that has already passed; a couple more years won’t make much of a difference. We just need to keep an open mind to some of these cut cost. The way I see it it’s inevitable, and if no one is going to step up to the plate to cover the cost swimmingly, then of course there are bound to be delays.

Let’s look at the positives though:
1. There is much assurance that all the towers will be built as advertised.
2. There will be transit hub (pretty much the same deal only no retractable roof).
3. There will be a concourse, a connector to the WFC, and some form of a Fulton Street Station.

The way I see it the only downside will be a longer wait, and there is much other activity in the immediate area to keep us occupied in the meantime, not to mention the rest of the city.

In regards to the PATH Hub, will it essentially remain as is in design, only without the retractable roof and shorter spikes? I honestly don’t care about the retractable aspect getting the ax; I always found it neat, but a necessity. I rather that be cut than a smaller concourse.
I completely agree with you Dac, great points. I agree with the cut on the PATH being a better idea than more sub-level cuts. The underground should definitely take priority over aesthetic "bonus" components.

It'll be worth the wait. This complex is worth getting right, even if it takes a couple years longer. We don't need "value-engineering" on this project.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 4:17 PM
low-riding

agreed. But i really wish they'd stop cutting on the above ground portion of the station. The wings have already been clipped down twice. NYC is severely lacking in architectually inspiring transit halls. Something that I believe is a standard of a world class city. Maybe its just a status thing instead of function but I still feel it important. Yet this great city currently has 1. And this right now is a much safer bet than Penn

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 10:54 PM
Frigidus Maximus

To think the PA had the nerve to take the FT away from Silverstein on the grounds he might not have the resources to complete it! Like these clowns have the resources to blow their own nose without going over budget and past deadline!

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Jul 5, 2008, 12:53 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post
agreed. But i really wish they'd stop cutting on the above ground portion
of the station. The wings have already been clipped down twice. NYC is severely lacking
in architectually inspiring transit halls. Something that I believe is a standard of a world class city.
Maybe its just a status thing instead of function but I still feel it important. Yet this great city currently has 1.
And this right now is a much safer bet than Penn
The funding for Penn is already there (Farley), they just have to decide when to get moving on it.
The Calatrava "wing" sculpture is nice, but in it's current location it's nothing more than a glorified
entrance to a mall, which in turn will connect to the station. It would be nice if they could have
moved it to the station itself, but then that would mean cutting into memorial space, and that won't happen.
But it would look better there, and wouldn't be crammed in by two enormous office towers.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2008, 2:12 PM
Ex Houstonian

Yes, I always thought that the Calatrava entrance looks very strange right there stuffed in between two buildings. It kinda looks like someone just set up a diorama of a whale skeleton in the middle of NYC. I love Calatravas work but no so much this one.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2008, 2:48 PM
Resident Jackass

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
Yes, I always thought that the Calatrava entrance looks very strange right there stuffed in between two buildings. It kinda looks like someone just set up a diorama of a whale skeleton in the middle of NYC. I love Calatravas work but no so much this one.
I can't believe NYers are not furious about the price tag of this POS. It looks like the rotten carcass of a raccoon crammed into too small of a space. If the city needs to save money, this is where to do it.

As mentioned before it's just the entrance to the station, not the station itself...no need for such a monstrosity.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2008, 2:54 PM

^^ But the cost of building that "monstrosity" is not why it costs 2.2 billion to build. You could eliminate the building and only save maybe 300 million. The rest of the costs comes from piling the 1 line and digging under it.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2008, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theWatusi View Post
I can't believe NYers are not furious about the price tag of this POS. It looks like the rotten carcass of a raccoon crammed into too small of a space. If the city needs to save money, this is where to do it.

As mentioned before it's just the entrance to the station, not the station itself...no need for such a monstrosity.
civic projects should never be cut up and thrown under the rug. more people will use this "rotten raccoon carcass" than any of the surrounding buildings combined, so why should it get the cut?

and its actually pretty big, even after its 'wings' were scaled back.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2008, 6:26 PM

Thanks for posting those pictures. There's not a page for it on this forum, right?

By the way, are the waterfalls supposed to be like sheets of water or rushing torrents of water? I'm wondering how noisy it will be. Though, I suppose it would cut down on street noise.

Are there any diagrams of the entire site that shows the underground structures/tunnels that will be built? I'm curious how extensive it will be. Will all of the hole be taken up by structures/foundations of some sort or will some of it get refilled in with dirt?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2008, 6:29 PM
World Machine

It's a very neat entrance, no doubt about it. Bottom line is I would like to see this built, but not at the expense of making the concourse/mall smaller. I think once they remove a few things and keep the core concept the expense will scale back to a practical level (in WTC terms that is).

Old Posted Jul 6, 2008, 9:15 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by philvia View Post
civic projects should never be cut up and thrown under the rug. more people will use this "rotten raccoon carcass" than any of the surrounding buildings combined, so why should it get the cut?
Not true. Besides, the WTC towers have insurance money to cover their costs. If anything, far more people will use the Fulton Street transit center than the PATH terminal. If there's money to burn, burn it there.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2008, 9:26 PM
New Yorker for life

JULY 5, from geto

JUNE 30, from Dan Buell

Old Posted Jul 6, 2008, 11:32 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Look how close West street and the Westside Highway have been pushed up against the World Financial Center.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2008, 11:38 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC4Life View Post
Look how close West street and the Westside Highway have been pushed up against the World Financial Center.
It'll get pushed back to the proper place eventually.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2008, 11:46 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
It'll get pushed back to the proper place eventually.
Yeah, seemed not long ago that stretch of West Street on the WFC side was filled with lawns. Over on the other side of the site at Church Street and Trinity Place, the street has basically been reduced to one lane of traffic with another lane reserved for the sements trucks and other vehicles coming in and out of the site.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 12:09 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07072008...cle_118811.htm

WHAT'S GOING RIGHT

Finally filling: Building construction is in fair shape at the Twin Towers' site.

July 7, 2008

NEW office buildings are good for New York. Even empty new office buildings are good, because history proves they won't stay empty for long.

This bedrock truth provides more than a glimmer of hope for World Trade Center reconstruction. It should orient Gov. Paterson and Port Authority Executive Director Chris Ward as they struggle to free Downtown's big hole from its status as America's most depressing tourist attraction.

The commercial skyscrapers being built by the PA and Larry Silverstein are the real news out of Ground Zero - not that you'd know it from lazy media coverage. Pore through Ward's laundry list of unresolved issues last week - most, such as the need to demolish 130 Liberty St., already ancient history - and a surprising fact emerges:

Unless Ward is hiding something, the office towers aren't in bad shape at all, though they're long overdue and subject to design alterations.

Now, Ward was hiding something - the fact that the PA is trying to unload the Freedom Tower onto a private developer, as The Post first reported and as the PA tacitly confirmed to Bloomberg News when it acknowledged that "all options are on the table."

But privatizing the Freedom Tower would only be good news. Better still, all four Ground Zero office towers have taken on an irreversible momentum likely to shoulder aside the "whuddum I gonna do?" whining that bedevils the rest of the 16-acre site.

The Freedom Tower looks to have passed the point of no return. Steel is out of the ground, the PA has awarded over $500 million in contracts and hardly a week passes without one supplier or another crowing over a new contract.

Silverstein, meanwhile, has already awarded more than $1 billion in trade contracts for his towers - including for foundations, curtain walls, elevators and mechanical and electrical trades. He'll award $1 billion over the summer and excavation is well underway for the foundations of towers 3 and 4.

So, what of Ward's doom and gloom? Most of his 15 crisis points involve non-commercial elements of Ground Zero and environs - elements, moreover, that are ill-conceived, unnecessary and/or unlikely to be built as planned in any event.

The issues Ward cited emphasize the too-big memorial; the Santiago Calatrava-designed PATH terminal (a PA ego trip to benefit a few Jersey commuters), and a pointless performing-arts center.

Off-site dilemmas include reopening the Cortlandt Street subway station, which is more the MTA's problem, and the need for a land-swap deal with St. Nicholas Church (where a tiny congregation has been allowed to hold up the PA's need to perform infrastructure work essential to all of Ground Zero.)

Only three of Ward's handwringers could affect the office buildings, and one - a possible redesign of Tower 3 to accommodate a new home for Merrill Lynch - is likely moot, since Merrill grows wobblier by the week.

Despite Ground Zero's notorious "game of inches," neither of Ward's two other worries is likely to prove more than a speed bump in the towers' way. Yes, removing the temporary PATH terminal on Vesey Street could interfere with underground access to the Freedom Tower. And there is a need to reinforce the No. 1 subway line tunnel, which is close to the foundations for towers 3 and 4.

But I'll go out on a limb and suggest that, once the towers are topping off at a cost of billions of dollars in public and private money, the next-door nuisances will manage to solve themselves. At least let's hope so, because the office buildings, not the memorial, are the site's true centerpiece - despite all the politically expedient blathering to the contrary.

Some real-estate developers and brokers fear a "glut" of new office space, but the city has anything but a glut of the kind of space provided by the new towers.

Much of the city's vast office stock is obsolescent or obsolete. Office tenants now demand floor-to-ceiling windows, column-free floors, advanced fiber-optic capacity and environmental benefits - features available in a mere handful of Manhattan buildings.

The new WTC skyscrapers, designed by Sir Norman Foster, David Childs, Richard Rogers and Fumihiko Maki, have all that and more. They will also restore and improve upon a skyline that hasn't been the same since 9/11.

Only the Freedom Tower will reach the height of the old WTC, but they're all enormous, and the composite effect will be breathtaking. Paterson and Ward must see to it that nothing gets in their way.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 4:48 PM

Nice to read some positive comments on WTC1 from Cuozzo.

He's right about the PATH terminal. While I love the design and hope it gets built - it's a glorified subway stop for the Path from NJ. If it had some other use, such as a JFK link or NJ Transit commuter rail then it would deserve the structure.

It's sad to see the downtown transit hub a stone's throw away, which actually does serve as a major connection point for multiple subway lines, have its less-glamorous building get the axe.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 12:28 AM
New Yorker for life

This is the point of the whole ground zero "crisis"...

Quote:
The commercial skyscrapers being built by the PA and Larry Silverstein are the real news out of Ground Zero - not that you'd know it from lazy media coverage....... the office towers aren't in bad shape at all, though they're long overdue and subject to design alterations.

....all four Ground Zero office towers have taken on an irreversible momentum likely to shoulder aside the "whuddum I gonna do?" whining that bedevils the rest of the 16-acre site.

The Freedom Tower looks to have passed the point of no return. Steel is out of the ground, the PA has awarded over $500 million in contracts and hardly a week passes without one supplier or another crowing over a new contract.

Silverstein, meanwhile, has already awarded more than $1 billion in trade contracts for his towers - including for foundations, curtain walls, elevators and mechanical and electrical trades. He'll award $1 billion over the summer and excavation is well underway for the foundations of towers 3 and 4.
For most people, the rebuilding of the WTC is about rebuilding the office towers. But when you read headlines like "ground zero delays", and "WTC rebuilding plan scrapped", people get the impression that nothing is being done and the entire plan has been scrapped.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 12:58 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

Now let's worry about getting those Cement Truck drivers back to work.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 1:11 AM

is the middle left the memorial floor?
and as you can see on middle right, the floor they're getting ready to pour is higher than the concourse floor....... can anyone repost that graphic that has all the subgrade stuff labeled? i can't remember the floor names or anything! lol

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive