HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 2:50 PM

What specific cities outside Canada and the United States use Ontario-style zoning? Has anyone been to them personally to see this for themselves? I have been to at least two major cities outside North America and there were commercial establishments on otherwise residential streets. Not massive stores, just little stores selling bottled water, or vegetables, or a small menu of takeout food, or (gasp!) beer. Curiously, in the one city the unemployment rate is a fraction of London's. Locals I talked to couldn't comprehend the concept of having to "drive 10 minutes" to get some of these products. In such cities, owning a car is not a necessity, and public transit is of much greater importance.

Also, nobody has offered a reason why a nail salon is such a bad thing in a residential area. Seriously, the local people should have much bigger things to worry about in life. What about all the summertime pollution coming from the Ohio Valley? I'd get it if there was a strip club, bawdy house, or nuclear storage on the property.

Thankfully in Oakridge, nobody seems to complain about the picture framing establishment operating on a residentially-zoned property. Perhaps the people of Oakridge have their life priorities straight.

Last edited by manny_santos; Jan 29, 2011 at 3:06 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates