HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
God forbid you contribute to the financial resources of your country.
It's a conscious decision, not only because it's cheaper. I'm also a NH taxpayer as a landowner there. And I'm putting effort and money into increasing the long term value (both from a taxable and from an economic POV) of those properties, which I could easily have acquired instead in Quebec rather than over the border. I'm hoping to be able to vote there someday. I've been a FSP member for over a decade so I'm doing what I can to contribute - and choosing to pay my gas taxes there is a little part of it.

Quote:
Too bad all Canadians don't buy gas in the US so that we can really show the government who's boss!
Actually, if we all did that, you can bet gas taxes in Canada would soon be drastically reduced...

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 8:00 PM
C'est quoi l'affaire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
It's a conscious decision, not only because it's cheaper. I'm also a NH taxpayer as a landowner there. And I'm putting effort and money into increasing the long term value (both from a taxable and from an economic POV) of those properties, which I could easily have acquired instead in Quebec rather than over the border. I'm hoping to be able to vote there someday. I've been a FSP member for over a decade so I'm doing what I can to contribute - and choosing to pay my gas taxes there is a little part of it.
C'est quoi FSP?

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 8:08 PM

"Free State Project", the goal is to show through a real life example how running things with libertarian tendencies (as much as possible, realistically) can work well economically. The project aims to gather a somewhat critical mass of people who value small government and put them in the same jurisdiction; NH was chosen because it already had the basic tendency to an unintrusive government. Several FSPers have been elected to the state legislature already. I think the project is doing reasonably well overall; a good number of people have moved due to it. (Still tiny at the state level, obviously, though.)

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 8:11 PM
C'est quoi l'affaire?

Quote:
"Free State Project", the goal is to show through a real life example how running things with libertarian tendencies (as much as possible, realistically) can work well economically. The project aims to gather a somewhat critical mass of people who value small government and put them in the same jurisdiction; NH was chosen because it already had the basic tendency to an unintrusive government. Several FSPers have been elected to the state legislature already. I think the project is doing reasonably well overall; a good number of people have moved due to it. (Still tiny at the state level, obviously, though.)
Ahhh... yo comprendo.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 8:12 PM
Because it's 2015.

I can't see it being too successful. I have it on good authority that New Hampshire is a drug infested den.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 9:29 PM

Quote:
I can't see it being too successful. I have it on good authority that New Hampshire is a drug infested den.
It's all that personal freedom ...

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 9:41 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
God forbid you contribute to the financial resources of your country. Too bad all Canadians don't buy gas in the US so that we can really show the government who's boss!
At least it's an Irving station that he buys his gas at!

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
At least it's an Irving station that he buys his gas at!
I almost pointed that out - surely there's a fraction of a penny per gallon that ends up in coffers somewhere in New Brunswick

However, there's a Citgo in the town as well, and sometimes that's where I fill up....... isn't that Venezuela's state-owned chain? Shame on me.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 12:29 AM
Because it's 2015.

CITGO is half-Venezuelan, half-Russian. (50.1 to 49.9% split, respectively). But Americans don't really care about that, as long as they're getting a deal out of it. Profit before principles.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Ahhh... yo comprendo.
Just so you know though, I've also been contributing economically to Quebec as well, not only through taxes but also by helping densify and beautify downtown Sherbrooke (though we could have densified it even more if the City didn't force me to turn a four-story brick centenarian building into a parking lot..... story for another day) as well as by helping multinational corporations continue their activities in Quebec by providing them with competitively-priced quality services in our field of expertise.

So, I'm not going to let myself be shamed if I also spend money on the other side of the border. (Actually, buying gas in NH is absolutely irrelevant compared to how much I spent on improving properties and by extension neighborhoods in a certain city in FL that I could've spent home instead. If you want to try to shame me, you've got a better case with that.)

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 10:36 AM
C'est quoi l'affaire?

I don't think I was the one doing the shaming.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't think I was the one doing the shaming.
No, you definitely weren't (unlike vid.) However, even though both of you are mere strangers on the internet, I find that I can't say I don't care at all about your esteem of me; I suppose there's a reasonable chance we'll get to shake hands some day. So that's why I added that explanation, for your benefit, so that you don't get the wrong impression I don't care about Quebec, which is still home. (even though I really do have a soft spot for rural NH; it seems to check all the boxes for the things I love about the Eastern Townships of Quebec, just even better.)

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 5:42 PM
C'est quoi l'affaire?

Quote:
No, you definitely weren't (unlike vid.) However, even though both of you are mere strangers on the internet, I find that I can't say I don't care at all about your esteem of me; I suppose there's a reasonable chance we'll get to shake hands some day. So that's why I added that explanation, for your benefit, so that you don't get the wrong impression I don't care about Quebec, which is still home. (even though I really do have a soft spot for rural NH; it seems to check all the boxes for the things I love about the Eastern Townships of Quebec, just even better.)
Awwwww.... shucks!

Serious though, I wouldn't base my esteem of you (or anyone else) on something like that.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada