HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 7:27 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoe View Post
Oh god good. You honestly think if the oil sands existed anywhere else in Canada the same technology wouldn't have been born out of sheer necessity? The can-do kool aid is some strong stuff.

The oil industry in Canada was born in Ontario btw...
There are many places in Canada full of valuable resources that choose not to develop them.

Developing resources takes time, capital, political will power and long term planning. So, I honestly think that if the oil sands existed elsewhere in Canada they might not have developed to the same degree, or at all.

Saskatchewan has oil sands and they didn't start developing them until much later then Alberta. The oilsands in Alberta were described by Alexander MacKenzie in 1788 who observed natives using the bitumen on their canoes to make them more waterproof. Therefore, maybe the oil industry did start in Alberta Dr. Joe, and not your beloved Ontario.

The Alberta government invested heavily in developing the oilsands in the 1960s and lost money on this investment for a long time, put continued to invest in improving the extraction process and working with the University of Alberta to improve technology. Then, eventually, as world oil prices escalated and decades of extraction improvements made the process more economically viable, the oilsands became very lucrative and revenues and jobs created hugely benefitted all of Canada.

Its not all so simple Dr. Joe. I know deep down you want to believe that Alberta is like the Beverly Hillbillies because then your traditionalist view of Canada remains intact.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 10:59 AM

Clearly we're going to have agree to disagree agree here. Does Quebec have "can-do" attitude because of their heavy investment and foresight into their world leading hydro-electric, does Ontario have "can-do" attitude for designing, ironically enough, CANDU nuclear fucking reactors?

I mean my point simply is every province can lay claim to something like this in their own way but only one self proclaims a can-do attitude. Oil happened to be highly lucrative but that has little to do with it.

I don't believe Alberta is a bunch of hillbillies btw, never even hinted at that at any time, don't know why you keep bringing it up. I mean 85% of the province is urbanized, so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Well, at least some other parts of the country appear to oppose pipelines as a matter of principle, so presumably in those parts the oil sands would have been left untouched and the technology undeveloped.
I quite literally mentioned this in a previous post. No one however can claim what the correct decision is so it's a moot point anyways. A conscious choice to not develop them is obviously different than a desire to but lack of will to do it.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odog View Post
too funny - holy sh*t Lio get a life dude.
You seem to think it required some effort on my part, but you'd be wrong there. I've been a Mopar guy for the longest time, had good reliability out of many of my ChryCo products, and I've got a pretty good memory so I immediately recognized you for (stupidly) panning Ontario-made cars as "Chryslers" even though Ontario also makes all kinds of Fords, GMs, Hondas, Toyotas.

It made a (bad) impression on me then, so when you did it again I knew who you were. In any case, I meant it when I said welcome back, I have nothing against you.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odog View Post
Saskatchewan has oil sands and they didn't start developing them until much later then Alberta. The oilsands in Alberta were described by Alexander MacKenzie in 1788 who observed natives using the bitumen on their canoes to make them more waterproof. Therefore, maybe the oil industry did start in Alberta Dr. Joe, and not your beloved Ontario.
I don't think that smearing bitumen on a canoe counts as industrialization, and, besides, neither Alexander MacKenzie nor the local indigenous people of the time had any concept of "Alberta".

This counts, though:

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 4:25 PM

Vehicles made in Ontario in 2015: (Ontario is the only province with auto plants)

Source: https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/auto-a...g/am00767.html

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 4:39 PM

^^^ That's a bit dated. The Camaro moved to Michigan for the current generation. Windsor builds the next generation minivan now (Pacifica). Town & Country is dead.

Also, there are several vehicles in that image aren't too long for this world, even though they're still made.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
You just outed yourself there.
Called it a couple weeks ago

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoe View Post
Clearly we're going to have agree to disagree agree here. Does Quebec have "can-do" attitude because of their heavy investment and foresight into their world leading hydro-electric, does Ontario have "can-do" attitude for designing, ironically enough, CANDU nuclear fucking reactors?

I mean my point simply is every province can lay claim to something like this in their own way but only one self proclaims a can-do attitude. Oil happened to be highly lucrative but that has little to do with it.

I don't believe Alberta is a bunch of hillbillies btw, never even hinted at that at any time, don't know why you keep bringing it up. I mean 85% of the province is urbanized, so...

I quite literally mentioned this in a previous post. No one however can claim what the correct decision is so it's a moot point anyways. A conscious choice to not develop them is obviously different than a desire to but lack of will to do it.
Alberta's "can do" is a bit of a provincial cheerleading rallying cry. It's a bit like British Columbia's "Best Place on Earth" gibberish. Needless to say, if you find yourself writing several paragraphs on the topic to "debunk" it, you are taking it far too seriously.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLLB View Post
Very well stayed! Nothing is simple when it comes to complex situations like oil extraction in its many forms. The attitude of some people is astonishing.
The attitude from some people on this forum is mainly because some dude named Chadillac insulted them 10 years ago, so now they think making snide comments about Alberta are justified.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
This is the prevailing opinion on the west coast too, although we also are annoyed at central Canada for thinking they're more important. (don't really care about "real Canada" though)
It's funny that so many provinces are generally painted in such a way that they don't like each other. I wonder if anyone can name two provinces which genuinely have a friendly relationship - historically, culturally, the people of which have positive opinions of each other generally.

The only examples I can really think of are Saskatchewan and Alberta (and that is straining several dimensions along the above).

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 6:16 PM
Made in Edmonton

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
It's funny that so many provinces are generally painted in such a way that they don't like each other. I wonder if anyone can name two provinces which genuinely have a friendly relationship - historically, culturally, the people of which have positive opinions of each other generally.

The only examples I can really think of are Saskatchewan and Alberta (and that is straining several dimensions along the above).

Yup...thats about it unfortunately.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 7:20 PM

Quote:
I would rather characterise world wide geopolitical strategy since the end of World War 2 as being driven by a pragmatic choice of action which attempts to capture and realise the lesser of two evils.

In that sense, there are no "right" decisions, only decisions whose outcomes are "least bad".

Cutting off ties to Saudi Arabia, economic sanctions, refusing to sell them equipment. All of these things have potential consequences. In this case, if they didn't secure a contract with a London, ON company, do you think anything would change? Contracts are given to Lockheed for 10 times that amount.

It seems to betray an overly simplistic read of the situation. Cutting off these contracts as a country won't change anything on the ground, won't materially impact the situation as long as stronger more powerful countries like the USA remain allies. Warm fuzzies is not a pragmatic geopolitical strategy.
These are just more reason to get off oil all together. It drags the west into the politics of the unstable Mideast, it's extraction pollutes, and its use pollutes. Humankind needs to get past the fossil fuels era ASAP. I completely expect my next new car to be electric and would rather see government subsidies that currently go to oil and gas towards helping consumers replace ICE vehicles and to developing greener energy sources.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
These are just more reason to get off oil all together. It drags the west into the politics of the unstable Mideast, it's extraction pollutes, and its use pollutes. Humankind needs to get past the fossil fuels era ASAP. I completely expect my next new car to be electric and would rather see government subsidies that currently go to oil and gas towards helping consumers replace ICE vehicles and to developing greener energy sources.
x2
- Pierre Elliot Trudeau

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 7:46 PM

Quote:
The attitude from some people on this forum is mainly because some dude named Chadillac insulted them 10 years ago, so now they think making snide comments about Alberta are justified.
There are valid reasons other than just Chadillaccc to dislike the extraction and burning of fossil fuels for energy.

Also, if any mod reads this, why exactly was odog banned? Spliff only got banned because he had started to be really angry in a nutcasey way, but he was behaving better than that this time.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 10:44 PM

There is a LOT of resentment in Saskatchewan towards Alberta being the destination for so many young people for 30 years.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 1:07 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Excellent news.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 1:38 AM

Can someone please confirm if Canada has decriminalised beastiality under the Trudeau government? If so, can someone please explain why the bloody hell anyone (apart from sickos) would want that?

If this is true, our country is headed into a state of Sodom and Gomorrah of epic proportions.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 1:45 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
Can someone please confirm if Canada has decriminalised beastiality under the Trudeau government? If so, can someone please explain why the bloody hell anyone (apart from sickos) would want that?

If this is true, our country is headed into a state of Sodom and Gomorrah of epic proportions.
No, that's not what happened:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/best...nada-1.3624312

The government should create a new law, though I doubt there's all that much reason for hurry.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 1:56 AM

Ah yes, because the only reason Canadians don't partake in bestiality en masse is because there is a law on the books. Don't have a very high opinion of your fellow countryman, do you?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post

I'm almost afraid to ask, but where did you pick up this fake news?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada