HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 5:01 AM
As seen on SSC ;)

Why does the Vancouver one show an Amtrak train when Toronto and Montreal have both VIA and Amtrak service but show neither?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
Where's the Seabus in Vancouver's diagram?
A newer version of the poster had the Seabus in it. It also had the Toronto Island Ferry. Unfortunately, I forgot where I saw it and can't find it.

I guess you could also include BC Ferries' ferry to Bowen Island, since that's within Metro Vancouver.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Why does the Vancouver one show an Amtrak train when Toronto and Montreal have both VIA and Amtrak service but show neither?
Yeah, I don't know why that's there. It's also in the Seattle and Portland versions. The Amtrak Cascades doesn't even stop anywhere else in Greater Vancouver other than Pacific Central station.

- - -

The posters are cool. No other Canadian cities are included. It's clear that Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver have by far the most interesting variety of cool transit vehicles, but I wonder who would be fourth?

I'd probably give the nod to Ottawa after the Confederation line opens, since it'll also have weird things like double decker buses, diesel multiple units (Trillium Line), and the livery of another transit agency: STO.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 2:39 PM

They will have to add the REM in a couple of years.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 2:44 PM

Found them instantly with Google Image search

Toronto

Vancouver

Montreal

There's actually a ton of cool stuff.
http://pdovak.com/projects/

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
That could work. I don't think it would play into Toronto's favour just when there's renewed interest in re-establishing offices in the core. Toronto isn't London which was on top of the world. Budgeting wasn't high on anyone's list.

In my experience, people living along Yonge (ex.Forest Hill) and former boroughs like North York, Etobicoke, etc. are far more likely to drive downtown than a 905er. 905ers first do everything to avoid working downtown. Once they do, even the most autocentric individual is quick to jump on the GO bandwagon. GO is a lot more convenient and more affordable to a 905er than to someone in the 416. There's a higher percentage of 416ers clogging our streets and highways that most want to believe.
As a North York resident, I agree. It takes 3 times as long to get downtown via public transit versus driving where I live, and the TTC can be notoriously unreliable. If it weren't for the cost of parking downtown, I'd drive to work daily; I do drive some days to save time. The added bonus with driving is that there are multiple routes; if there's a problem on the TTC's Line 1, you can get stuck with no practical alternative.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 2:28 PM
HVAC guru

Edmonton's new strategy for dealing with the fallout from bad planning and execution of LRT projects seems to be to simply lower everyone's expectations right off the bat so that no one is that surprised or upset when the line turns out to be a total clusterfuck

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...fic-congestion

The last project was a complete boondoggle and still isn't running properly, and causing delays on the entire system.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 3:00 PM
Centretowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
Edmonton's new strategy for dealing with the fallout from bad planning and execution of LRT projects seems to be to simply lower everyone's expectations right off the bat so that no one is that surprised or upset when the line turns out to be a total clusterfuck

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...fic-congestion

The last project was a complete boondoggle and still isn't running properly, and causing delays on the entire system.
I'm so happy that Ottawa and Montréal both chose segrated LRT. I can't fathom how horrible trafic will be in Edmonton.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 3:52 PM

[del]

Last edited by MalcolmTucker; Aug 29, 2017 at 5:00 PM.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 4:11 PM
HVAC guru

They really blew it going with the separated line. But the NAIT extension has proven that the city is really incompetent at managing these projects.

I worked on the Millenium line in Vancouver doing equipment start-ups at the stations. I remember being really impressed at how that infrastructure could all be built with minimal impact on traffic, especially during construction. In Edmonton the traffic nightmares have already started and are going to get a lot worse, and last for years while they get this line up & running. And then when it is running the pinch points are going to be ugly.. probably a lot uglier than what they're projecting just as NAIT was, as the city doesn't like to be honest about these types of things

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 4:18 PM
Centretowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
They really blew it going with the separated line. But the NAIT extension has proven that the city is really incompetent at managing these projects.

I worked on the Millenium line in Vancouver doing equipment start-ups at the stations. I remember being really impressed at how that infrastructure could all be built with minimal impact on traffic, especially during construction. In Edmonton the traffic nightmares have already started and are going to get a lot worse, and last for years while they get this line up & running. And then when it is running the pinch points are going to be ugly.. probably a lot uglier than what they're projecting just as NAIT was, as the city doesn't like to be honest about these types of things
There are currently talks by the executive branch of the city of Montréal to add a 5th rapid transit line in downtown Montréal, in the René-Levesque corridor to the North-East of the island. While a second line of the REM is what the mayor talked about, I'm afraid of the streetcar/LRT zealots proposing something. The René-Levesque cuts accross all dowtown and it would have major traffic impact to build LRT instead of a SkyTrain or metro.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 5:55 PM

[del]

Last edited by MalcolmTucker; Aug 29, 2017 at 5:00 PM.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 6:30 PM
Centretowner

[QUOTE=MalcolmTucker;7897282]An evolution of this thing?:

What was described this week is a corridor for rapid transit, that plan was not. Some corridors might be reused but I don't expect to be a streetcar like the previous project.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 7:20 PM
More transit please

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_jeffrey View Post
What was described this week is a corridor for rapid transit, that plan was not. Some corridors might be reused but I don't expect to be a streetcar like the previous project.
I personally don't expect much since the government can't even make a decision on the Blue line extension.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 10:52 AM
Centretowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkahHigh View Post
I personally don't expect much since the government can't even make a decision on the Blue line extension.
I expect anything besides the blue line from now on.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 3:39 AM

http:/https://www.mtlblog.com/whats-...stem-in-canada

Ranking of Canada's Public Transit
1. Greater Montreal
Score: A+++

2. Metro Vancouver:
Score: A+

3. Greater Calgary:

4. Greater Edmonton:
Score: B

5. Greater Toronto/Hamilton:
Score: C

6. National Capital Region:

Last edited by Chopper; Aug 29, 2017 at 3:49 AM.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 4:18 AM
More transit please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
http:/https://www.mtlblog.com/whats-...stem-in-canada

Ranking of Canada's Public Transit
1. Greater Montreal
Score: A+++

2. Metro Vancouver:

3. Greater Calgary:

4. Greater Edmonton:
Score: B

5. Greater Toronto/Hamilton:

6. National Capital Region:
Mtlblog is a shitty website that is heavily biased. I still believe Montreal is first but Toronto will be on top in not too long.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Mtlblog is a shitty website that is heavily biased. I still believe Montreal is first but Toronto will be on top in not too long.
It is based on a study, i tried to paste the link of the full report however it's not working.

There's another news about this

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 4:22 AM

Quote:
I doubt Toronto can get to the top. It has way too many projects to be done, and they need to get more bus service, and, they are simply too busy for their own good.

It is what happens when you just expand the line well beyond where it is necessary. If Toronto had not kept expanding those existing lines, there would be a DRL and an Eglinton Line.

So, when those are done, and the extensions to Richmond Hill and STC are done, it might be number 2.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 4:37 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada