HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 5:01 AM
As seen on SSC ;)

Why does the Vancouver one show an Amtrak train when Toronto and Montreal have both VIA and Amtrak service but show neither?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
Where's the Seabus in Vancouver's diagram?
A newer version of the poster had the Seabus in it. It also had the Toronto Island Ferry. Unfortunately, I forgot where I saw it and can't find it.

I guess you could also include BC Ferries' ferry to Bowen Island, since that's within Metro Vancouver.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Why does the Vancouver one show an Amtrak train when Toronto and Montreal have both VIA and Amtrak service but show neither?
Yeah, I don't know why that's there. It's also in the Seattle and Portland versions. The Amtrak Cascades doesn't even stop anywhere else in Greater Vancouver other than Pacific Central station.

- - -

The posters are cool. No other Canadian cities are included. It's clear that Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver have by far the most interesting variety of cool transit vehicles, but I wonder who would be fourth?

I'd probably give the nod to Ottawa after the Confederation line opens, since it'll also have weird things like double decker buses, diesel multiple units (Trillium Line), and the livery of another transit agency: STO.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 2:39 PM

They will have to add the REM in a couple of years.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 2:44 PM

Found them instantly with Google Image search

Toronto

Vancouver

Montreal

There's actually a ton of cool stuff.
http://pdovak.com/projects/

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
That could work. I don't think it would play into Toronto's favour just when there's renewed interest in re-establishing offices in the core. Toronto isn't London which was on top of the world. Budgeting wasn't high on anyone's list.

In my experience, people living along Yonge (ex.Forest Hill) and former boroughs like North York, Etobicoke, etc. are far more likely to drive downtown than a 905er. 905ers first do everything to avoid working downtown. Once they do, even the most autocentric individual is quick to jump on the GO bandwagon. GO is a lot more convenient and more affordable to a 905er than to someone in the 416. There's a higher percentage of 416ers clogging our streets and highways that most want to believe.
As a North York resident, I agree. It takes 3 times as long to get downtown via public transit versus driving where I live, and the TTC can be notoriously unreliable. If it weren't for the cost of parking downtown, I'd drive to work daily; I do drive some days to save time. The added bonus with driving is that there are multiple routes; if there's a problem on the TTC's Line 1, you can get stuck with no practical alternative.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada