HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 5:21 AM
Go Preds!

26C with a humidex of 32 and mainly sunny! We had some showers (and thunder) on 2 occasion that last about 15 min before they paved way to the sun right after.

18C low this morning.

Picked up the first tomato today. Sad that this happens almost mid-August.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 7:26 AM
Suburbs Suck

Tornado confirmed in Ontario. Crazy
castlegar.ca

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 8:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray2004 View Post
Perhaps I should have put my previous post into proper context. A few years back, a pal of mine from Vancouver was in T.O., during one summer, involved in residential construction. He noted to me that, on many days, he had to change his T-shirt sometimes 2 or 3 times/day due to the humidity. He had never previously experienced same here on the west coast. Obviously not acclimatized.

Again. Context. In that vein, here on the west coast thunderstorms are relatively rare. You may hear a couple of thunder booms, see a couple of lightning strikes before same dissipates. OTOH, on a trip to Europe once, I was literally freaked out by a major thunderstorm. Just was not used to same.

Back to today's weather. After 52 days of no measurable rain in Victoria/Vancouver... tonight will bring the first much needed rainfall. Will finally clear out that smoke/haze from interior BC forest fires. As a matter of fact, for the first time in ages, I could see the North Shore mountains today. Seems like that clearing out has already commenced.
actually it rained like 3 days in a row about 3 weeks ago.
- Pierre Elliot Trudeau

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 9:47 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Pouring rain again.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 1:58 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

(Three different "I Love NL" stickers on that car. Hope it's a tourist. But, doubt it).

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 4:06 PM
Suburbs Suck

First real rain in 54 days!!!
castlegar.ca

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
actually it rained like 3 days in a row about 3 weeks ago.
Nada. Last measurable precipitation at YVR was June 20 & Victoria has actually been dry for 55 days - breaking its longest ever no-rain streak.

BTW, nice to see crystal clear blue sky this morn with some clouds mixed in.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Some BC fruit producers are concerned with "too much sun" haha!
First world problems.

Went and grabbed some cherries and peaches from our orchard. Not concerned at all. Delicious.

26c and mix sun and cloud. Feels good. Hasn't been this cool in a very long time.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Do you get all excited when you see a plate from far away?

I'm not being an asshole. Once I saw a plate from Prince Edward Island in my hometown in SW MB and thought "this ain't right.."

edit.. Bee's knees and travel bug together. Nice.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 12:07 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Do you get all excited when you see a plate from far away?

I'm not being an asshole. Once I saw a plate from Prince Edward Island in my hometown in SW MB and thought "this ain't right.."

edit.. Bee's knees and travel bug together. Nice.
"I'm not being an asshole" was awesome.

Excited isn't quite the right word, it's not an uncommon experience - but they definitely catch my eye as being "not quite right" as I'm walking around. There are no front plates in Newfoundland, so when you see a vehicle with one, it always grabs your attention - is it the tricolour flag? Is it "Gone fishin'"? Is it an actual plate from somewhere else?

And I do check whenever I'm walking from the parking lot to whatever touristy place - say, Cape Spear - just to see where the farthest plate is from. So far this summer it's B.C. and Alaska.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
"I'm not being an asshole" was awesome.

Excited isn't quite the right word, it's not an uncommon experience - but they definitely catch my eye as being "not quite right" as I'm walking around. There are no front plates in Newfoundland, so when you see a vehicle with one, it always grabs your attention - is it the tricolour flag? Is it "Gone fishin'"? Is it an actual plate from somewhere else?

And I do check whenever I'm walking from the parking lot to whatever touristy place - say, Cape Spear - just to see where the farthest plate is from. So far this summer it's B.C. and Alaska.
Ha.. ok, not excited then, but "mildly amused"

Quebec is the same, no front plates. Some dude on the street next to me has Colorado plates on the front of his car, and I'm not sure but I think that might be illegal. "Hey, it look cool, I juss picked it up on my voyage.. I din no it was not legal, tsé?"

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 4:11 AM
Go Preds!

26C with a humidex of 29 and sunny!

Low of 18C this morning.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Quebec is the same, no front plates. Some dude on the street next to me has Colorado plates on the front of his car, and I'm not sure but I think that might be illegal. "Hey, it look cool, I juss picked it up on my voyage.. I din no it was not legal, tsé?"
You're right. It _is_ illegal. You can get ticketed for it.

Most cops don't know it, though. I interacted with cops a few times during all the years when I had a junkyard Texas front plate on my Quebec-titled truck (the colorful previous design; current one sucks) and no one ever gave me problems in spite of sometimes even making remarks about it. That was before I knew it was unarguably illegal and I was exposing myself to a ticket that's a lot pricier than a parking ticket... given that Murphy's Law usually applies to me in such cases, the plate quickly got back into my collection.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Nada. Last measurable precipitation at YVR was June 20 & Victoria has actually been dry for 55 days - breaking its longest ever no-rain streak.

BTW, nice to see crystal clear blue sky this morn with some clouds mixed in.
I live downtown, we had rain in July, I don't know why you think we didn't.

Do you have a source to back up your statement because if you do it likely rained downtown and not at YVR
- Pierre Elliot Trudeau

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Frankly, I find that hard to believe. Most jurisdictions in North America require 2 licence plates and, in those jurisdictions now requiring just a rear plate, law enforcement officials therein are certainly aware that an out of province/state vehicle with 2 license plates require same in said jurisdiction.

IMHO, 2-license plates are preferable due to law enforcement reasons:

1. If a vehicle has a major rear-end collision obliterating the rear-end of the vehicle (inclusive of rear license plates/deceased therein), at least the surviving front license plates will provide law enforcement folk ability to quickly identify both vehicle and likely deceased therein;

2. If a vehicle has criminal suspects therein, vehicular law enforcement will have ability to not only identify vehicle make but also front license plate travelling in opposite direction;

3. If a vehicle is utilized for criminal conduct (eg. robbing bank, liquor store, etc.) and pulls in front of establishment, security cameras will not be able to ascertain license plate/identification from front end of vehicle;

For starters.

Here in BC 2-plates have always been mandatory for BC vehicles - not out of province/state vehicles for obvious reasons.

PS. Back when I was 19, I attended a beach party at UBC and, when returning uphill to the parking lot... we were surprised by the local UBC RCMP detachment in full force. My front license plate had previously been broken off (can't remember why). The Queen's Cowboys didn't ticket me but suggested I attend to have it replaced ASAP.

In any event, back to regularly scheduled programming----> Canada's weather!

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 5:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
I live downtown, we had rain in July, I don't know why you think we didn't.

Do you have a source to back up your statement because if you do it likely rained downtown and not at YVR

Here's the rainfall amounts for July in Vancouver:

July 20 - 0.2mm
July 21 - 0.2mm
July 22 - 1.4mm

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca...tainer-monthly

The last really significant rain was on June 15, 15.2mm.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 8:47 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Stingray, I think he means it's illegal to have a car with a current Quebec plate on the rear and another jurisdiction's plate on the front. I think that's also illegal here - even if it's expired and being used as a souvenir.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 12:06 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

HARLS!!!

He knew his way up out of downtown really well, though - no hesitation at any of the 330ish-whatever-degree turns, etc. So if he is actually from SPM, he's been here a while.

Anyhow... a mixed bag here today. Overcast, cloudy, rain, drizzle, fog, sun, almost no wind with strong gusts every so often.

August 14, 2017 by R C, on Flickr

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Aug 14, 2017 at 4:03 PM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 1:24 PM
I used to be THAT guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post

Most cops don't know it, though. I interacted with cops a few times during all the years when I had a junkyard Texas front plate on my Quebec-titled truck (the colorful previous design; current one sucks) and no one ever gave me problems in spite of sometimes even making remarks about it. That was before I knew it was unarguably illegal and I was exposing myself to a ticket that's a lot pricier than a parking ticket... given that Murphy's Law usually applies to me in such cases, the plate quickly got back into my collection.
If it's illegal it's never enforced.

It actually makes sense for it to be illegal, except for obviously souvenir plates like OUTATIME (California) or ELVIS-1 (Tennessee) or the faux European ones ST-MÜ 69 you see all over the place.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 1:26 PM
I used to be THAT guy

Quote:
Frankly, I find that hard to believe. Most jurisdictions in North America require 2 licence plates and, in those jurisdictions now requiring just a rear plate, law enforcement officials therein are certainly aware that an out of province/state vehicle with 2 license plates require same in said jurisdiction.

IMHO, 2-license plates are preferable due to law enforcement reasons:

1. If a vehicle has a major rear-end collision obliterating the rear-end of the vehicle (inclusive of rear license plates/deceased therein), at least the surviving front license plates will provide law enforcement folk ability to quickly identify both vehicle and likely deceased therein;

2. If a vehicle has criminal suspects therein, vehicular law enforcement will have ability to not only identify vehicle make but also front license plate travelling in opposite direction;

3. If a vehicle is utilized for criminal conduct (eg. robbing bank, liquor store, etc.) and pulls in front of establishment, security cameras will not be able to ascertain license plate/identification from front end of vehicle;

For starters.

Here in BC 2-plates have always been mandatory for BC vehicles - not out of province/state vehicles for obvious reasons.

PS. Back when I was 19, I attended a beach party at UBC and, when returning uphill to the parking lot... we were surprised by the local UBC RCMP detachment in full force. My front license plate had previously been broken off (can't remember why). The Queen's Cowboys didn't ticket me but suggested I attend to have it replaced ASAP.

In any event, back to regularly scheduled programming----> Canada's weather!
I agree that two plates are preferable.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada